Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Figured this was worth bumping because, Brian Blessed is on the latest Richard Herring’s Leicester Square Theatre Podcast -

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/richard-herrings-leicester-square-theatre-podcast/id520831548?mt=2&i=1000409131635

Or here if you want to watch it in all it's absurd glory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH4cWoetw4s

• Awards Moderator
6 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Or here if you want to watch it in all it's absurd glory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH4cWoetw4s

I just finished listening and I'm breathless with laughter, it's so absurd. When he says "AM I BEING FUCKING UPSTAGED?" I lost it. 

Well worth a watch / listen. 

• Paid Members

Cannot wait to watch that when I get home. Sounds delightful.

Anyone listening to Omnibus? It's hosted by Ken Jennings (bloke with the longest ever winning streak on Jeopardy) and John Roderick (indie musician), and the gimmick is that they're compiling a record of obscure human knowledge for the future, so each episode is around one weird story, idea, person, whatever, with a lot of variety. So there's an episode on Milli Vanilli, one on plans for the Queen's death, one on Heil Honey I'm Home, one on the European Starling, and so on and so on.

It can be really interesting, like a sort of less smug QI, with some genuine laugh out loud moments (for me, at least), and having binged a lot of it over the past couple of months, I've come to find John Roderick's voice extraordinarily soothing and good fun.

Edited by BomberPat

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

@waters44

Truth and Movies is pretty good, it's by the guys who write for Little White Lies movie magazine. They do a weekly Film Club as part of their podcast which has introduced me to some incredible films.

I listen to both Empire and Kermode and Mayo. Empire is decent enough, I'm a big MCU fan so enjoy the spoiler specials and interviews. I went off Kermode and Mayo for a good few years but they're back on form now, Kermode seems to have toned down his annoying forced-rant shit and spends more time talking about films he's enjoyed which is a much better listen.

• Paid Members

Coincidentally, I gave Kermode and Mayo a listen to for the first time in a few years. Kermode has calmed down on the gimmick and is far more listenable as a result. The other thing, which was my biggest gripe when I listened a few years ago, is the emails Mayo reads from their listeners. I don't know if I just tuned in on a bad week, but they seemed to have gotten worse with their try hard nature. So many words - carefully roided up on Thesaurus.com, I presume - for such a nothing bit of feedback, other than "aren't we clever?". There is just a level of neediness there that taps into some of deep rooted bit of self-loathing all their listeners that choose to email in should have. 

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, the emails are still try-hard and cringeworthy. I've pretty much taught myself to mentally tune out during listeners emails/all the extra podcast shit and only really listen for the interviews and reviews. 

Mark Kermode's absolute fear of criticising anything female-directed so as not to upset his missus is hilarious though.

Cinema Swirl usually gets mention when this subject comes up. I think the show itself is dead as they haven’t had a new episode since December, but the rest of them are still there to be listened to. Their Commando, Predator and Rocky episodes are probably the pick of the bunch

• Paid Members

Thanks for the recommendations!

I used to like the Cinecast podcast but that ended a while back - does anyone know if the people from that started a different one or anything?

Also a friend of mine mentioned the Now Playing podcast but it looks like you have to pay for that one

• 2 months later...

Just discovered that myself recently, and having coincidentally just started to rewatch the series on Netflix. Haven’t had the chance to listen yet but I’m hoping it’s good.

As some as you may know, I’ve recently launched Inside Oz, the world’s only Oz review podcast. I put the third episode out today, and I’m feeling like I’m starting to find my groove with it too. I’d appreciate any fans of the show to give it a shot- 

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/inside-oz/id1412397275?mt=2

Edited by WyattSheepMask