Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

I'm loving The Podquisition lately, even if it's becoming more about cuckoldry than videogames. Jim Sterling's Spin-Off Doctors is also a great listen, him and Conrad Zimmerman review licensed videogame movies and a couple that are about fictional games. I like how they don't just shit on them for laughs sake and actually give them a proper go but in the end the majority are utter gash and get ripped to bits in the end. I hope they one day do a little bit on The Bishop of Battle, I had legit nightmares from that as a kid.

I've listened to five and a half episodes of S-Town and I've got absolutely no ambition to carry on listening whatsoever. It peaked at the end of episode two, and I thought there would be more mystery surrounding it, but the next few episodes were mind-numblingly boring to the point where I stopped listening half way through episode 6 and I'm probably just going to read a summary of the rest.

Not a patch on Serial.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 03/04/2017 at 7:21 PM, Slapnut said:

I've listened to five and a half episodes of S-Town and I've got absolutely no ambition to carry on listening whatsoever. It peaked at the end of episode two, and I thought there would be more mystery surrounding it, but the next few episodes were mind-numblingly boring to the point where I stopped listening half way through episode 6 and I'm probably just going to read a summary of the rest.

Not a patch on Serial.

As a mystery, you're right that it peaks at episode 2, but there's plenty of stuff that kept me enthralled. I found it a fascinating study of a very peculiar and tortured person. I'd recommend anyone give it a go. Not a patch on Serial season 1 perhaps, but infinitely better than Serial season 2. 

Edited by gmoney

• 9 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

I’m so behind on podcasts, I’ve only recently started listening to Four Finger Discount.

I can also recommend Living With The Gods, which is the latest collaboration between Neil MacGregor (former director of the British Museum) and Radio 4. I love MacGregor’s voice, it’s an interesting subject and, though I didn’t get there, the series seems to have gone down better than the exhibition it accompanied.

Actually, while I’m here, I’ve recently started appearing on a podcast with a group of friends. If anyone fancies a listen, search for Nerdfest UK or go here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/nerdfest/id1322410403?mt=2

It’s mostly just us talking about films and things, but if you tend to enjoy what I post in Off Topic on here, you might enjoy it too. I try and put Roddy Piper over to the rest of them in episode 2 when I report back on watching They Live for the first time.

3 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Alex Horne and the Horne Section started a podcast this week. David Arnold is the guest, as hilariously dry as ever. 

If you like silly songs and wordplay, it's fantastic. I ❤ it. 

http://podcasteb1a3f.podigee.io/feed/mp3?source=feed-itunes

@Nick Soapdish

I not long finished listening to their Radio 4 show that was repeated on Radio 4 Extra so this is a nice treat as it's pretty much the same format but not in front of a live audience.

Thoroughly recommended. 

Did you ever listen to Alex Horne Breaks The News podcast a few years ago?

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Alex Horne and the Horne Section started a podcast this week. David Arnold is the guest, as hilariously dry as ever. 

If you like silly songs and wordplay, it's fantastic. I ❤ it. 

http://podcasteb1a3f.podigee.io/feed/mp3?source=feed-itunes

@Nick Soapdish

Thank you! I listened to it on my lunch break today and loved it. Recommend to a friend who thought it was guff, but then admitted to find Mrs Brown’s Boys hysterical so I killed him.

14 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Never heard of it! Shall go find it. 

Considering its made by the TV channel Dave, it sounds like its been recorded in a kitchen with a single mic and no one really knows whats going on but it's pretty funny. Especially episodes with Tim Key as him and Alex always have great chemistry together.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I’m so behind on podcasts, I’ve only recently started listening to Four Finger Discount.

I've started listening based on your name drop here, and am glad I did. 

I'm funny with podcasts and not many have the right mix of topics, knowledge of the topics and a voice that doesn't get on my tits. It was always SCG, NGP, OSW and Page94, so it's nice to have something else that isn't wrestling. 

Edited by Tommy!

• 2 months later...