Cena v Rock Twitter War!

moofasa

It was the Rock's first match back in years and it completey bombed because of the shit buildup. They have expectations for this match. A crap buildup could totally fuck this up.

Against Ron Killings and that guy from a reality TV show. At Survivor Series, a PPV which doesn't mean sweet Football Association anymore. Piss off is that the same. You're smarter than that. The Rock and Austin feuded over Debra and then had WM 17. Hogan crashed into the Rock's limo and then they had WM 18. All they did after those two crappy sotrylines was had them talk a bit. That was it. Cena could wank The Rock off for weeks and then the Monday before all they need to do is remind people it's Cena vs. Rocky at WrestleMania.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Read this quote, from my post:

They have expectations for this match

You should realise they aren't looking for a normal WrestleMania buyrate. If you pay the Rock that amount of money (which blows away any one night pay off Hogan, Austin or Cena have ever got) and you put him against Cena, you need a hot storyline going into it. Rock and Cena isn't going to break the PPV record itself. The Rock's first match after 7 years should never have alienated the viewers to the point where it didn't do as well as a CM Punk vs John Cena B-show main event. I bet when that Survivor Series buyrate came in, they all shit themselves, because it showed Rock isnt perfect. They completely fucked the build up and nobody bothered to buy it.

It amazes me that anyone would think Rock and Cena doing a twitter war would do the type of business they are looking for. If WrestleMania 28 doesn't break the Trump Mania record, some cunts are getting the sack.

Cena could wank The Rock off for weeks and then the Monday before all they need to do is remind people it's Cena vs. Rocky at WrestleMania.

What an incredibly daft thing to think. Why would you pay $50 to watch something that doesnt interest you? Do you think someone like your Dad or a mate who never buys PPVs will pay all that money at this very second? Of course not. The casual audience need to be talked into it. People dont have $50 to throw about anymore.

It was the Rock's first match back in years and it completey bombed because of the shit buildup. They have expectations for this match. A crap buildup could totally fuck this up.

Against Ron Killings and that guy from a reality TV show. At Survivor Series, a PPV which doesn't mean sweet Football Association anymore. Piss off is that the same. You're smarter than that. The Rock and Austin feuded over Debra and then had WM 17. Hogan crashed into the Rock's limo and then they had WM 18. All they did after those two crappy sotrylines was had them talk a bit. That was it. Cena could wank The Rock off for weeks and then the Monday before all they need to do is remind people it's Cena vs. Rocky at WrestleMania.

You can't compare Rock and Austin in 2001 who had serious history with each other, it was the rematch. And the limo crash was shit for Rock/Hogan but Hogans reception and the master himself overwhelming Rock made the match. They were chanting Zack Ryder at the Rock on his first ppv performance in years. A crap buildup could totally fuck this up, if the match doesn't save it. A good build and a good match could make it incredible.

Cena could wank The Rock off for weeks and then the Monday before all they need to do is remind people it's Cena vs. Rocky at WrestleMania.

What an incredibly daft thing to think. Why would you pay $50 to watch something that doesnt interest you?

See, that's why we've had disagreements before, you take something that someone said and completely spin it off in a different direction. I never said people would tune in for something they didn't want to see. I said they could pretty much do what they wanted in the build up and it'd still be Cena vs. The Rock. Which you've extrapolated into people will pay for something they didn't want to see. You're better than making things up.

Come on, you think they've only brought The Rock in to do a great WrestleMania buyrate? Really?

It amazes me that anyone would think Rock and Cena doing a twitter war would do the type of business they are looking for.

It amazes me to. Who actually said that?

You can't compare Rock and Austin in 2001 who had serious history with each other, it was the rematch.

Exactly, a rematch, this one hasn't happened before. You can compare it to that. Of course you can. Bet this PPV outdraws that one.

They were chanting Zack Ryder at the Rock on his first ppv performance in years. A crap buildup could totally fuck this up, if the match doesn't save it.

They could chant "I want tea" and it still has fuck all to do with the buyrate. That's ignoring the fact that it was just Rock and Cena vs. Who? And not even the good Who? This is Rock vs. Cena that was announced a year ago. If I announce that Goldberg will face Jeremy up my road in two weeks time you wouldn't buy it. If I announce he faces Clint Eastwood in a year's time you buy it. Even if you aren't watching week by week. The match could be shit or it could be great, that has fuck all to do with the buildup, so your second sentence doesn't even make sense.

Rock and Cena isn't going to break the PPV record itself. The Rock's first match after 7 years should never have alienated the viewers to the point where it didn't do as well as a CM Punk vs John Cena B-show main event.

We're talking about very different build up here. The Survivor Series match only really happened to those that followed the product, the WrestleMania match happens to those that aren't following the product. See the difference? I don't understand how someone could actually think a Survivor Series match in 2011 means the same as a WrestleMania match. I genuinely don't. They're aiming to get mainstream media attention and people who haven't watched WWE in a while to tune into that PPV and see something that keeps them tuning in.

• Paid Members
See, that's why we've had disagreements before, you take something that someone said and completely spin it off in a different direction. I never said people would tune in for something they didn't want to see. I said they could pretty much do what they wanted in the build up and it'd still be Cena vs. The Rock. Which you've extrapolated into people will pay for something they didn't want to see. You're better than making things up.

And I said thats not what they want out of this feud. You're the one making things up now. If WWE want the numbers they are aiming for, they wont have a terrible build. Its not 2001 anymore. To get a record WrestleMania buyrate, the angle going in has to be special, or at least watchable every week.

Come on, you think they've only brought The Rock in to do a great WrestleMania buyrate? Really?

Why else are they paying him the biggest Mania payoff in history to wrestle at WrestleMania? Again, did I say thats ONLY why they've brought him in? No. But thats the main reason. I cant see why you would think otherwise.

It amazes me to. Who actually said that?

You pretty much did:

I'm saying you are completely wrong in saying that. The novelty has worn off with the Rock and Cena. They need to establish each persons role, create interest and build to a logical reason for the average person to want to buy the PPV. They cant just fuck about until the final Monday. Thats just mental talk.

We're talking about very different build up here. The Survivor Series match only really happened to those that followed the product, the WrestleMania match happens to those that aren't following the product. See the difference?

No. There is no difference. Again, where are you getting this from? People come out of the woodwork to watch WrestleMania, fair enough, but WrestleMania is there to target the audience that dont usually buy the other PPVs all year. If WWE wanted your standard WrestleMania buyrate like they get every year, they wouldnt have brought the Rock back. They want Donald Trump numbers. Not Bret Hart numbers.

I don't understand how someone could actually think a Survivor Series match in 2011 means the same as a WrestleMania match. I genuinely don't. They're aiming to get mainstream media attention and people who haven't watched WWE in a while to tune into that PPV and see something that keeps them tuning in.

You are mental then, and dont understand the comparison. Nobody was expecting WrestleMania numbers for the Survivor Series. They brought The Rock back to wrestle at the Survivor Series to increase the buyrate from the norm. And because they failed to create interest they never reached their target.

Now look at this:

Survivor Series Target: 250,000 buys.

Survivor Series Drew: 150,000 buys (domestic). Which was worse than the MITB PPV they were gutted about.

Now look at this:

WrestleMania's Target: To beat the domestic buyrate record set by WrestleMania XVII

If WrestleMania comes under their target its a massive disappointment. Do you understand now? WrestleMania always has mainstream media attention. Cena vs Rock is once in a life time and nothing else in the near future comes close to the potential this match has. If it has a shit build, there will be hell on.

• Paid Members

I would really have preferred it if they hadn't already slapped each other about abit. Could still be a good build if Johnny L or someone bans them from touching each other in the buildup to Mania just to increase the tension. Theres no need for any physical interaction before Mania between the two, both are good enough talkers to build it up.

If I announce that Goldberg will face Jeremy up my road in two weeks time you wouldn't buy it. If I announce he faces Clint Eastwood in a year's time you buy it.

If I was that intrigued by Goldberg vs Clint that I'm going to buy their PPV no matter how bad the build, I'd probably buy the show where they team up for the only time in history as well. More people did buy Goldberg vs Jeremy at Money in the Bank than bought Goldberg and Clint TEAMING UP FOR THE ONLY TIME EVER, FOLKS vs Two Jeremies at Survivor Series. And the Goldberg vs Jeremy at Money in the Bank buyrate was a failure itself, so it doesn't say much for Clint. "We don't need to bother with a decent build-up, everyone's going to buy it anyway" isn't a sensible option, as Survivor Series has shown.

The novelty of Rock's return has worn off somewhat, with WrestleMania last year disappointing just about everyone and the Survivor Series build-up impressing no-one. He's been on telly a fair bit for them now. Unless the content is good, every appearance becomes less special. And they can't afford to just keep the diminishing returns going until WrestleMania. They need each appearance to increase people's desire to see the show, to entice everyone they can. They can't rely on it already having sold itself.

• Paid Members
Against Ron Killings and that guy from a reality TV show. At Survivor Series, a PPV which doesn't mean sweet Football Association anymore.

That means bollock all.

I'll ignore how over Ron and the guy from a reality TV show were at the time, and the strong build they'd had up until Vengence - incidentally, I had forgotten The Miz had even been on Tough Enough completely before his Mania video package and I bet I wasn't the only one. The simple fact is, they expected The Rock's first match in seven years to draw a strong buyrate, because it's The Rock wrestling. Arguably, they should have been right to believe that, however...

A crap buildup could totally fuck this up.

Between Vengence and Survivors, Awesome Truth were made to look like they didn't matter, so nobody cared to watch the match. 'Mania will still get a big number or sorts based on a) the people who buy Mania because its Mania ; and b) the people who would pay to see Rocky wanking into a sock regardless of the build, but if they continue to promote the feud as best case meaningless and worst case poor comedy, centered around childish name calling and Twitter, then it won't draw as much as the biggest match in ten years deserves to, and would do if it were promoted as such.

You can compare it to that. Of course you can. Bet this PPV outdraws that one.

The two biggest superstars since Hogan, wrestling each other at the peak of their popularity, at the peak of the business' second boom period, compared to John Cena VS The Rock now. I'll take that bet, friend.

Four pounds.

During Thursday's WrestleMania 29 press event, John Cena teased a potential WrestleMania 29 re-match with the Rock. Here is what he had to say

"It was a little awkward when we announced 28 the day after 27 - I didn't know how that would work out - but here we are truly on the Road to WrestleMania with a feeling of excitement....

My boy, Dwayne, actually said he's going to be here in some capacity for 29. After I beat his ass in Miami, he's going to have to get a little retribution, so maybe we'll have to do it again."

Depending on how it goes the rubber match at Mania 30 maybe?

• Paid Members

The Rock's scheduled for a match at SummerSlam as well. Which makes me wonder (in a "what if" way, not like it would seriously happen), but if Triple H turns at Mania and ends the streak, it would be interesting to see a SummerSlam headlined by Rock and Triple H.

Wouldnt even have to have Triple H beat the Undertaker, actually. A HHH vs Rock match in 2012, would totally get me interested.

14 years after the Summerslam 98 ladder match. Thats the thing about the Cena match it needs a good build, with Rock just showing up sporadically. they may have announced the match a year in advance but that is only a year of rocks appearances and things like twitter to buid their rivalry whereas with someone like HHH they can just reignite past history of years of rivalry.

The Rock's scheduled for a match at SummerSlam as well. Which makes me wonder (in a "what if" way, not like it would seriously happen), but if Triple H turns at Mania and ends the streak, it would be interesting to see a SummerSlam headlined by Rock and Triple H.

Wouldnt even have to have Triple H beat the Undertaker, actually. A HHH vs Rock match in 2012, would totally get me interested.

I remember the last ever Rock vs HHH match on a random Raw back in 2002. It was special even then as they hadn't been in the ring together in a very long time - back in the days where every 6 months things seemed radically different. A 2012 match would be awesome. Heel HHH on the mic against Rock, with Rock on top mic form would be epic. The match would deliver too because Rock is the fucking man.

I find it quite off-putting that Rock vs Cena largely seems to be happening for the sake of it. I get that it's an enermous money match and that wrestling is a business etc, but since the match was made official, there's something really cold about effectively the money playing such a part for the characters as well. Maybe I'm being too cynical. But the whole thing feels protracted now and as though it should have happened last year.

Archived