Wrestlemania 29 venue announced tomorrow

ClassicsGuy

Just saw this on F4W:

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie will head a press confernce tomorrow to announce the 2013 version of WresteMania will be held at Metlife Stadium, outdoors, in East Rutherford, NJ.

The date for the show was not announced other than a release saying early April, so likely the first Sunday of April, which is April 7. March 31 is also a possibility.

Representatives of the WWE, the New York Jets and the New York Giants are expected at the press conference. This will be the first time WrestleMania will be in the Northeast at an outdoor venue, which, unless precautions are made, could be a weather risk.

Does this rule out MSG for wrestlemania 30.

Really tempted by this, would give me an excuse to go NYC for a week not that I need one

As I (and others) have pointed out in other threads related to speculation about Metlife Stadium being the venue - Wrestlemania, in New Jersey, in April, outdoors seems a big gamble. Even in Florida it could piss it down with rain but at least it's warm. NJ? Maybe not so much.

As I (and others) have pointed out in other threads related to speculation about Metlife Stadium being the venue - Wrestlemania, in New Jersey, in April, outdoors seems a big gamble. Even in Florida it could piss it down with rain but at least it's warm. NJ? Maybe not so much.

With the Metlife stadium not having a retractable roof, it's a massive gamble, but then they always have the triangular looking gazebo type thing (the proper term would be greatly appreciated!) covering the ring, so it may not be too big a problem?

• Paid Members

Really tempted by this, would give me an excuse to go NYC for a week not that I need one

Mania 30 at Dallas cowboys stadium is what I think vince is after... Biggest wm attendance ever with the stadium holding 100k for football. No chance of MSG in my opinion

Cowboys Stadium is the perfect venue for Wrestlemania. If you can get them to let you have total run of the building, you could do the whole weekend (Mania itself, Axxess, HoF) in the one building.

Mania 30 at Dallas cowboys stadium is what I think vince is after... Biggest wm attendance ever with the stadium holding 100k for football. No chance of MSG in my opinion

Jim Ross has been on Twitter addressing that very question - apparently neither WM29 nor WM30 can be held at Cowboys Stadium due to scheduling conflicts. Therefore WM30's venue is still very much up in the air. Still possible it could be MSG. Seems unlikely IMO, given its in New York the year before, but stranger things have happened.

Jim Ross has been on Twitter addressing that very question - apparently neither WM29 nor WM30 can be held at Cowboys Stadium due to scheduling conflicts. Therefore WM30's venue is still very much up in the air. Still possible it could be MSG. Seems unlikely IMO, given its in New York the year before, but stranger things have happened.

Ah, interesting stuff. Still don't believe it will be held at MSG, not because of NY/NJ for 2 years running, but the drop from 80k fans to 20k fans will leave a massive year on year shortfall in ticket revenue. WWE have backed themselves into a corner with the continuous stadium WMs, as any move into a smaller venue the following year will have massive financial repercussions.

I'll be shocked if it is MSG, but will be there if it is

• Paid Members
Ah, interesting stuff. Still don't believe it will be held at MSG, not because of NY/NJ for 2 years running, but the drop from 80k fans to 20k fans will leave a massive year on year shortfall in ticket revenue. WWE have backed themselves into a corner with the continuous stadium WMs, as any move into a smaller venue the following year will have massive financial repercussions.

That's solved, by charging a higher ticket price. You may not make the same money, but you can still make a healthy profit.

I'm not too arsed if they do it in MSG. It's not the same since they gave it a new lick of paint.

That's solved, by charging a higher ticket price. You may not make the same money, but you can still make a healthy profit.

I'm not too arsed if they do it in MSG. It's not the same since they gave it a new lick of paint.

Unfortunately still making a healthy profit is not going to wash in a boardroom where profit maximisation drives decision making. The directors will have to sign off on a plan that potentially delivers lower full year revenue and profit than the previous year, which will send investor alarm bells ringing.

According to my rudimentary calculations, the average ticket price for WM at MSG would have to triple to offset the fall in number of tickets - this won't happen, therefore you're left with raising the prices slightly as you suggested (which will make a small difference) and cutting costs hugely in order to deliver the same or more profit as last year. Very counterintuitive to delivering potentially the biggest PPV of all time.

You could then also try and offset the loss by increased PPV buys which will also have to increase substantially, and is a gamble, particularly as you've had to cut costs in marketing the thing in the first place.

Simply put, it's not good business. Particularly when you could put on a bigger show which generates more bottom line.

Archived