Games that should get remakes.

CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members
I loved Strider (on Atari ST) but, like most side-scrolling beat-em-ups (or any side-scrolling game) there's no point in a remake. The game mechanics won't adapt to the modern era in a way that would make any sense unless you completely change the game, so they're probably as fun played in emulation as they'd ever get.

I get what your saying, but the argument has been among friends and similar threads to this, that games have become so heavy on the graphics and 3d in depth side of things, the game play has suffered to an extent, much like with hollywood movies. Obviously there is a massive amount of brilliant modern games of similar nature, but i would love to see some good old side scrollers.

Every time a new Sonic comes out, people cry about the fact its not a 2d side scroller.

3D fighting games like Tekken were obviously a big hit, but 2d street fighter was still as popular as ever (fair enough it is a twating massive cult game), but you see what im getting at. I believe there is still room for a super shiny new side scroller.

I'm happy for new 3d shiny perks etc and the general theme and story of the games needs to be prominent and updated, i'd love to see it.

Good call on the cool spot refresh too!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turrican had some of the best guns I've ever seen in a game.

Absolutely agree.

I'd also love to see an HD release of Xenon II : Megablast. That game was balls out tough, and if they manage to include

even better. Thinking of it, lets get a triple-pack HD release of Bitmap Brothers games, Gods, Xenon II and Magic Pockets.

• 2 weeks later...
Chaos Engine. A glorious steampunk setting, with a bunch of playable characters to choose from - Thug, Preacher, Mercenary, Gentleman, Navvie and Brigand. There was already a levelling up aspect, so it's perfect for a Borderlands-style remake.

Played the absolute shit out of this on the Atari ST. Very few, if any games, have done steampunk better than that. Was it 4 player? My memory says "yes" but I might be confusing it with Alien Breed....

• Moderators
Chaos Engine. A glorious steampunk setting, with a bunch of playable characters to choose from - Thug, Preacher, Mercenary, Gentleman, Navvie and Brigand. There was already a levelling up aspect, so it's perfect for a Borderlands-style remake.

Played the absolute shit out of this on the Atari ST. Very few, if any games, have done steampunk better than that. Was it 4 player? My memory says "yes" but I might be confusing it with Alien Breed....

Nah, just two player. But that's something that could be fixed in a current gen remake. Now I'm thinking more L4D than Borderlands.

I hate these threads. They just make me yearn for things that'll never exist.

Archived