Games that should get remakes.

CleetusVanDamme

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Syphon Filter

For reasons stated above, and the game mechanics are modern enough to adapt into the Uncharted-esque game world

Timesplitters

The comedy FPS has been abandoned in recent years, which is a pity as Timesplitters 2's multiplayer was as good as any.

Star Wars Battlefront

The 3rd one was abandoned a couple of years ago, which is a shame as, again, the multiplayer was clever and different from other games, and slightly predated broadband so hardly anyone played it online. I did once when I got my 360, and it was AWESOME.

Timesplitters and Battlefront both died with Free Radical, however Crytek are rumoured to be making a new Timesplitters game (or will be once current projects are finished) and again both of those are great shouts.

Did anyone play the god awful Lord of the Rings game Conquest? It was based on the Battlefront model and was just dire.

Timesplitters and Battlefront both died with Free Radical, however Crytek are rumoured to be making a new Timesplitters game (or will be once current projects are finished) and again both of those are great shouts.

I just came to post this d'oh.

For the people 'dissing' Road Rash as being old. It is, it's like 21 years old, and the game engine was originally designed on the NES, which could explain why there isnt much to it. (I still love it, smooth scrolling and arcadey gameplay, not too much effort, jobs a good un)

This is why there is a discord between those who like modern games and those who like both modern and retro and those who like just retro

Gaming has moved on, but today's gamers dont always appreciate the technology that the originals came out on, these consoles were the Xbox360's and the PS3's of their day, and pushed what was the envelope then to the max.

Those stuck in retro's ville dont appreciate that gamers of today are doing what they did when their generation was king and as a result get embittered and twisted.

Some gamers can appreciate the best of both world's and enjoy retro and modern stuff, but they are relatively rare in the gaming world as a whole.

As for Final Fight and Streets of Rage, they have had both had recent revivals. Final Fight had a resurrection in the form of Streetwise on the PS2, it bombed and Streets of Rage had a reimagined remake on the PC by Bomber games until Sega cancelled it for copyright infringement

Fighting Force started out life as Streets of Rage 4, before Sega got cold feet, there is also a Dreamcast proto running around on youtube of what that version of SOR4 may have been like

• Paid Members
There was also a shit version on Playstation 1 called Road Rash 3D.

I've got that and give it a whirl still from time to time. It hasn't aged well but its good fun I think, but then I still enjoy the old Road Rash games.

I do agree Hogs of War was amazing and another well thought out and fresh application of such a super fun formula would be great, especially in the on-line world.

I'll also be looking to pick up that Twisted Metal, WT was one of those games that chewed up hours of my time for what felt like years.

Edit: It might have been another Road Rash on PS1, they did a couple didn't they?

Scrolling beat em ups could make a come back- Like someone already aid, The Warriors was a decent game and Fighting Force was a good effort (although the 32 Bit era had a much better similar game in Die Hard Arcade). Ive noticed theres a Double Dragon sequel/remake of a sequel comign to LIVE but it looks a bit shit.

Earthworm Jim could do with a proper new game, he was definitely my favourite mascot from the SNES/MD days. He seems "edgy" enough to still be relevant in todays gaming landscape, and it always had that harder difficulty/higher reward feel to it when compared to the other standard platformers.

Jet Set Radia was a good shout, and Shenmue.

• Paid Members

I appreciate that Road Rash will be shit if you played the Megadrive version today but for me, the key elements are all 100% there. Even back then all the street racers had names & characters, add real street plans etc you're on a winner. Plus the betting on races could be upped massively online. For us it was always the 'grown up' alternative to Mario Kart.

• Paid Members
The Warriors was a decent game

It was, wasn't it? Rockstar put some really good ideas into that game, some they've since brought into their more recent games. I never got that far though cos my PS burned a massive gash into the disc. Enjoyed it while it latest, though.

Does anybody remember Team Buddies? Colourful strategy game for the PS1 featuring little pill-shaped creatures. I think you had to build weapons to destroy your opponents base before they destroyed yours. Very fun game.

I saw that around but never played it, did anyone ever play Mega-Lo-Mania? A great little strategy/evolution game that seems to have vanished from peoples minds, i'd like that remade and fleshed out.

• Paid Members

I'd like a decent HD update / remake of Vagrant Story, please. With a slightly-easier or more-varied chain system, and the game and weapon data on the SAME save, please. And one or two bits playable as Callo Merlose, please.

Archived