Raw 13th February Discussion

iamtheman

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Lowest segment in that position in over a year, the lowest rated segment among women and kids in over a year and the lowest rated segment in February (their hottest period of the year) in years and years. Their lowest segment of the year was about a month ago (I think it was the Dolph vs Punk match).

Thats why this belt means nothing anymore. The main storylines are Cena vs Kane and Undertaker vs Triple H. Nothing else on this show mattered at all. The Raw Elimination Chamber has nobody in it.

Wouldn't disagree at all. Been the same way for years, a sad slow decline.

I also agree with what Pity just said, about both of them clearly playing "characters" at various points, while trying to be "themselves" at others. It's shit and confusing.

Depends on how it's done. There have been loads of times over the years when Cena has been pushed until he's snapped, cut a money promo and had a PPV stonker with whoever. Equal number of times, he's cut a poopy promo, shook his head in rage a lot and looked a tit. Doesn't change the fact that there's no confusion in his character. It's him. It's not like he's playing Saddam Hussein one minute and then the next they show footage of him kissing babies and making wishes.

Where do you get the rating breakdowns from? Can you post them?

Subscribe to the Observer, ya tight bastard!

• Paid Members

Its matches we dont see, that is the reason he's been taken off TV. He's supposed to have had a match with Health Slater that was so abysmal, Vince made the call to take him off the telly. You cant catch lightening in a bottle twice. I imagine his momentum will be killed by being taken off TV.

The Brodus situation is completely retarded.

He's been with the company (in FCW and before that Deep South) for years. He signed up in 2006. They've had 5 years to evaluate his wrestling, never mind the fact that he wrestled most weeks on TV on NXT and was a regular on Superstars for a while. How the hell can they book him that often and think he's ready for a big new gimmick, and then decide he's not ready just a few weeks later?

It's a bit like the Hade Vansen situation, except this time it got to TV and lasted a month before someone went "Nah, he's not ready".

Idiots.

I bet you went nuts for the Hogan with no top on though! I was jealous when my mate got it.

I don't really have much to say about this week's Raw, but I just wanted to say how fucking excited I was as a kid to find this Hogan and no-suit Ted Dibiase on the SAME DAY at a car boot. They had a brilliant match when I got in, but it was a special one-off return to the singles ranks for Dibiase, because Money Inc had been feuding with the Natural Disasters for the tag belts for months since I'd gotten Typhoon. I wasn't dropping that shit just because the lads didn't have their shirts on anymore. The Disasters' chase was too good not to pay off properly.

He's been with the company (in FCW and before that Deep South) for years. He signed up in 2006. They've had 5 years to evaluate his wrestling, never mind the fact that he wrestled most weeks on TV on NXT and was a regular on Superstars for a while. How the hell can they book him that often and think he's ready for a big new gimmick, and then decide he's not ready just a few weeks later?

It's a bit like the Hade Vansen situation, except this time it got to TV and lasted a month before someone went "Nah, he's not ready".

Idiots.

It's very stupid. I mean I don't get how they're evaluating him based on squash matches anyway..

• Paid Members
That figure could do a decent suplex, clothesline as well as a nice Twist of Fate/Cutter, due to the arm positions. Not a complete loss

The arms on mine couldn't bend back far enough to hit a clothesline. However that said, his posture was made for an awesome piledriver. Especially a Zangief spinning version.

The Wrestling Globe reports that WWE officials have decided to put Brodus Clay's "Funkasaurus" gimmick on hold for the time being. Word is that Vince McMahon feels that Clay's ring work wasn't where it needed to be for WWE TV.

Surely they knew what his ring work was like before they threw him on TV, having been in development for years and having a season on NXT? How shitty, unprepared and disorganised of the WWE. If his ring work really isn't up to scratch, then there is no excuse for them making that error. They should know how good he is before giving him that gimmick, the fanfare and a bit of a build-up.

Miz got blamed for the Survivor Series buyrate (which is WELL harsh), he almost killed R-Truth last week and now everyone's turning the channel.

Why on earth did Miz get blamed for the Survivor Series buyrate being below expectations, especially when him and R-Truth were booked as a mere afterthought? As you say that's ridiculously harsh.

Idiots.

It's very stupid. I mean I don't get how they're evaluating him based on squash matches anyway..

Probably evaluating him on the 8 minute long matches he'd been having on house shows. They added him to the Raw opening this week, so..who knows.

• Paid Members

I was expecting the involvement and appearance of Michaels this week to follow the same sort of pattern the rest of the angle has thus far, in that it would mirror the events of last years build. Which it kind of did. I anticipated HBK trying to convince Triple H to accept the challenge because Michaels now truly believes Triple H is the man that can finish the streak, whereas last year when Triple H asked him if he thought he could, he didn't have it in him to tell him he couldn't. They didn't play on that as much as i thought they might but, otherwise that segment went almost just as i hoped it would. As the other big factor i hoped would be there, is Triple H making it clear he wasn't going to take the match and end the streak to appease Michaels ego, with Shawn living vicariously through him. Man, i loved that.

The whole not wanting to destroy the brand of the Undertaker for business purposes was something i wasn't expecting. I'm glad a lot of this angle has evolved because Triple H has a new role and has moved on and that was an interesting take on that i didn't see coming and i do quite like Ians theory on the hair thing. But i don't think that will be the case and i don't want to see too much focus on that side of things. In saying that though, that being part of the reason why Triple H refuses the match, rather than so much of 'feeling bad' for the Undertaker was wonderfully consistent with his character. Triple H being a heartless bastard in general but now even more so especially when it becomes all about business. He wants to run things like Vince would and do Pa proud after all.

The hair thing i took as Undertaker as others have mentioned, the signifying of him losing his mind a little bit with this obsession. Which i think could work just fine, it seems to be being painted that way somewhat akin to Michaels with him but with added mental. He's been sitting in his cabin dwelling this over for a year, watching highlights of it and cutting images out of Raw magazine to build a massive collage. It will be interesting if this is simply just retconning Takers hair/wig situation or if anything else leads on from this and he ends up with quite a different look/appearance the next time we see him beyond the hair.

Whatever the case, i'm loving it at the moment and i've said it before many times the handling of The Streak over the last few years has been magnificent and become one of my favourite things ever in wrestling.

• Paid Members

It's odd, despite the hysteria surrounding him at the time (from me included), when Brodus danced out to face McIntyre at the Rumble, I did think to myself "Well, if this goes tits up quickly, at least we'll have proof the Funkasaurus existed on DVD..."

I do wonder, however, if some of it is a matter of (bad) timing - after Sunday we're well on the run down to Mania, when guys who aren't going to be on the card traditionally disappear from TV for a month or so while those that are turn up everywhere. If they did have any plan for Brodus for Mania, which I think is unlikely, it would appear they definately won't have now if they're not convinced by in-ring, so I can see why they wouldn't be spending time building him on TV.

That figure could do a decent suplex, clothesline as well as a nice Twist of Fate/Cutter, due to the arm positions. Not a complete loss

The arms on mine couldn't bend back far enough to hit a clothesline. However that said, his posture was made for an awesome piledriver. Especially a Zangief spinning version.

A Zangief/Haggar Piledriver would have been ace, I clearly wasn't thinking that far ahead, when looking back. Mind you, Action Force figures and rip offs like 'The Squad' always took precedence when wrestling because they had bendier arms and legs, or more points of articulation to be 'posh'. I think 'Flint' is still some sort of champion in my home fed :rolleyes:, after beating Destro and Cobra Commander( Spacesuit Armour, making it difficult to suplex) in a cage match in a WCW ring.

Archived