Raw 13th February Discussion

iamtheman

Thought RAW was better than last week. Thought it was a shame about the botch in the Show Orton match was into the match and as Orton was lining Show up for the ddt, was thinking how incredible Big Show is, he entered WCW in 95 is 7 foot, 500 pounds and 17years later is hanging that 500 pounds off the top rope for Orton to DDT. Liked the HHH Michaels segment, didn't like HHH saying they were last of that smash mouth style(unecessary).Is the Funkasaurus a Smackdown talent? I still cannot stand CM Punk the most unlikeable face champion ever, if you like this guy you're a fool cos he thinks you're a knob. Jericho was itching to give him a slap when he smugly held the title aloft and i was right with him.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
didn't like HHH saying they were last of that smash mouth style(unecessary).

I understand the way they're going with it and it personally didn't bother me, but HHH is not part of the same era as HBK and Undertaker. Not by about 5 or 6 years, or if they're talking about the Attitude Era, then Jericho, Kane, Big Show, Christian, Regal and Goldust and a few others are all from the same era, and in some cases have been there longer than HHH.

Is he not referring to them as iconic of that era? Obviously he's got to couch it in terms where he doesn't just say they're the last of the bonafide, big-time stars and explicitly piss on the company's (admittedly dreadful) attempts to get people over to a similar degree in the last decade. Everyone knows what he means, though - it's the reason Vince has turned to the likes of Taker, HHH, The Rock, Michaels and Bret Hart to sell Wrestlemania for the last 5 or 6 years.

Don't forget the shitty bearhug Hogan figure, Ian. Terrible figure, you could hardly do anything with it in a match.

That figure could do a decent suplex, clothesline as well as a nice Twist of Fate/Cutter, due to the arm positions. Not a complete loss

Thought RAW was better than last week. Thought it was a shame about the botch in the Show Orton match was into the match and as Orton was lining Show up for the ddt, was thinking how incredible Big Show is, he entered WCW in 95 is 7 foot, 500 pounds and 17years later is hanging that 500 pounds off the top rope for Orton to DDT.

I feel exactly the same. Since returning in October he has been really impressive and every year continues to get better. I just wish the WWE made him more of a star in the past instead of jobbing him out in some special attraction match at Mania. He's recently shown he can play a brilliant face still and is a cracking heel. I hope they make him more of a legit big names of the company in the last few years that he is around.

Raw was better than last week. I skipped Ziggler/Truth and Punk/Miz as I really couldn't be fucked with either match. Kane really is one of the highlights of the show these days and he's done really well with the feud with Cena. Cena cut another diabolical promo at the end of RAW. He may aswell record his promo on a tape recorder, play that down the mic every time he comes out and it will save him saying the same shit each week. I hope they grow the balls and turn him heel. A Cena/Ryder feud would be nice.

An update for those wondering about Brodus Clay.....

The Wrestling Globe reports that WWE officials have decided to put Brodus Clay's "Funkasaurus" gimmick on hold for the time being. Word is that Vince McMahon feels that Clay's ring work wasn't where it needed to be for WWE TV.

The match against Heath Slater was cut from SmackDown a few weeks back when the decision was made that Clay needed to work on his in-ring skills.

I still cannot stand CM Punk the most unlikeable face champion ever, if you like this guy you're a fool cos he thinks you're a knob.

What has that got to do with anything?

Seriously, I appreciate if you personally don't like him/think he's a twat or whatever, but to suggest someone's Pro Wrestling Character shouldn't be liked because (in real life) the actor playing the role isn't a suck-up to wrestling fans is mental.

A similar line of thinking occurred to me while watching Cena's RAW ending promo...

They are trying to portray Cena as a face because of what a real life nice guy he is; He won't bend to some fans wishes and "get violent" just to appease them, he loves his young fans and wants to be a role model for them, he loves doing the Make A Wish stuff etc...

Now that's all well and good, but really why should I (or anyone) care how nice he is in real life? Surely the whole point of Pro Wrestling is to present a character that is different enough from real life to be exciting, over the top and elicit the right reactions from fans (either love or hate, not both). I want an entertaining wrestling character, not some bloke who just wants to play one character forever, regardless of the fact that a big chunk of the fans are bored shitless with it.

I don't watch wrestling to see John Cena (the real life bloke) showing what a hard worker he is and sticking to his guns about what sort of character he should portray, I want John Cena the Wrestling Character, who I can either love or hate based upon his actions on TV every week. Instead we get him literally saying he won't change his character because it's too important to him in real life.

• Paid Members
An update for those wondering about Brodus Clay.....

The Wrestling Globe reports that WWE officials have decided to put Brodus Clay's "Funkasaurus" gimmick on hold for the time being. Word is that Vince McMahon feels that Clay's ring work wasn't where it needed to be for WWE TV.

The match against Heath Slater was cut from SmackDown a few weeks back when the decision was made that Clay needed to work on his in-ring skills.

Yeah, I can understand this - he was working really well with the gimmick, but he didn't look like a powerful force, he looked like a tub. More suplexes, please.

• Paid Members
A similar line of thinking occurred to me while watching Cena's RAW ending promo...

They are trying to portray Cena as a face because of what a real life nice guy he is; He won't bend to some fans wishes and "get violent" just to appease them, he loves his young fans and wants to be a role model for them, he loves doing the Make A Wish stuff etc...

Now that's all well and good, but really why should I (or anyone) care how nice he is in real life? Surely the whole point of Pro Wrestling is to present a character that is different enough from real life to be exciting, over the top and elicit the right reactions from fans (either love or hate, not both). I want an entertaining wrestling character, not some bloke who just wants to play one character forever, regardless of the fact that a big chunk of the fans are bored shitless with it.

I don't watch wrestling to see John Cena (the real life bloke) showing what a hard worker he is and sticking to his guns about what sort of character he should portray, I want John Cena the Wrestling Character, who I can either love or hate based upon his actions on TV every week. Instead we get him literally saying he won't change his character because it's too important to him in real life.

That's not the same. The whole point of the John Cena "character" is that it isn't a "character". It really is him. In the same way that The Rock doesn't play a character anymore. He just turns up as himself: the larger than life movie star.

That's not the same. The whole point of the John Cena "character" is that it isn't a "character". It really is him. In the same way that The Rock doesn't play a character anymore. He just turns up as himself: the larger than life movie star.

I was listening to an interview with one of the ex-writers the other day, he was saying Cena on TV is basically Cena backstage, except he can't swear on telly. He writes/ad-libs all of his own stuff. The problem with it is that Dwayne and (to a lesser extent) Cena both slip very much into "I AM PLAYING A CHARACTER NOW" mode all the time when doing wrestling promos. When Cena flips his switch from poopy-goofy to ANGRY MAN and back again, it often looks stupid and forced -- in theory, Cena can be both goofy and angry, but it just doesn't come off as authentic. Same thing when Dwayne goes from cheesy smile phoney guy to The Rock spouting off hackneyed garbage about lady parts and hermaphrodites. #BOOTSTOASSES.

• Paid Members

The CM Punk vs Miz segment got the lowest rated segment in over a year. Now I know CM Punk always has bad ratings, but the Miz being in the match as well cant be good for him at the minute. His stock has dropped massively since November and being in a portion of the show that bombed so bad must a nail for his career at the minute.

I think this bloke's going the same way as Kennedy if he's makes anymore enemies. I've always thought the likes of Arn Anderson and Michael Hayes (who hate him for not 'paying your dues, daddy') had been waiting for the moment to bury him to the office. And now they have it. Miz got blamed for the Survivor Series buyrate (which is WELL harsh), he almost killed R-Truth last week and now everyone's turning the channel.

• Paid Members
The CM Punk vs Miz segment got the lowest rated segment in over a year.

Is that lowest rated segment or lowest rated final segment?

Lowest segment in that position in over a year, the lowest rated segment among women and kids in over a year and the lowest rated segment in February (their hottest period of the year) in years and years. Their lowest segment of the year was about a month ago (I think it was the Dolph vs Punk match).

Thats why this belt means nothing anymore. The main storylines are Cena vs Kane and Undertaker vs Triple H. Nothing else on this show mattered at all. The Raw Elimination Chamber has nobody in it.

The good news is, next weeks been promised to be a big one. Once they get that PPV out the way on Sunday, they are planning some big angles, so they arent just sitting with their hands in their pockets.

b;ah blah blah...

The Rock can maybe, just about get away with that, as he's left wrestling and appears as "himself" on talk shows and stuff all the time. Plus he's a Hollywood Actor now, not a wrestler.

Cena doesn't have that excuse.

I also agree with what Pity just said, about both of them clearly playing "characters" at various points, while trying to be "themselves" at others. It's shit and confusing.

Archived