Should Rick Rude be recognised as a former WCW World Champion?

LWOLeN

• Paid Members

Actually, just remembered the exact story was Candido introducing himself and asking if Thesz had any advice for being champ, expecting an answer about carrying yourself in the ring or using great psychology or whatever. Thesz gave the aforementioned answer.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No sting and flair did though.

In my mind alougth you can't say he was part of the NWA or WCW title linage I don't think you can say that he wasn't a world champion, it was promoted as shuch recoginsed as such was an offshoot of a ligitamit title belt and defended it against legit contenders.

• Moderators
Also, it wasn't actually the WCW International Title, it was the WCW International World Title, as if WCW International was a separate organisation from WCW and recognised a different World Champion. Quite creative really (I seem to remember the guys on DSF playing up to it a bit) but it still doesn't make it a legit World Title in my mind.

I think they tried to portray it as WCW being the US member of WCW International (ie a straight swap for NWA.) I'm pretty sure they asked "WCW International" to rule on Flair being reinstated after he lost a retirement match.

(Checks Wikipedia): Yep, that was the deal. Sonny Onno was the Japanese member of the WCW International board using a fake name. I think the others were Sharon Sidello (Turner exec/Ole Anderson's bird) and some German called Dieter Krapper.

I covered the committee in a recent review on here.

Ric Flair has been REINSTATED by the WCW Board of Directors after losing his retirement match to Hulk Hogan at Halloween Havoc '94. They show the meeting where it came about. Head of the board is Nick Bockwinkel, the board ar at 2-2, and Hogan and Savage come in to beg the board to reinstate Ric so they can TCB once and for all. It's not as interesting as it sounds. My god, Savage actually just used the term "TCB"! I fucking love Randy Savage. So time for the vote from the executive board...

SHOULD WCW REINSTATE RIC FLAIR?

Gary Juster (United States) - NO!

Tatiana DePaz (Spain) (Who?) - My god, she's actually fucking talking in Spanish. However, it's dub with translation, and it's a NO! I've always hated that kind of thing. It's like when people talk to dogs in cartoons. Everyone's speaking English, they ask her and she just speaks Spanish? Can she only understand it, but not speak it? Is she just fucking awkward, but everyone else is A1 at Espanol so it's ok? I've never got it.

Dieter KRAP (Germany) - And he's speaking fucking German now. Anyway, it's a YES!

Kensuke Ishikawa (Japan) - Speaking Japanese. And in absolutely no shock to anyone it's Sonny Oono. Sonny Oono, being Japanese which makes him sneaky and devious, votes YES!

Christine LeBlanc (France) - In her native tongue, she votes... YES!

So, in the RIC FLAIR VS RETIREMENT (IRONMAN MATCH) Slic' Ric wins with a score of 3-2. Hogan and Savage are happy.

• Paid Members
I see this as an official world title run

You're wrong.

Didn't Luger win this belt a few times also?

No, not once.

it was promoted as shuch recoginsed as such was an offshoot of a ligitamit title belt and defended it against legit contenders.

I wish I was drinking at half one this afternoon.

in Smackdown vs Raw 2008, it had wrestlers profiles during the loeading screen, Rick Rude WAS listed as a WCW champion.

Then it must be true.

• Paid Members

I agree with the above. Wrestling history should be how your eyes and emotions judge it, not by what is written years later. Its like a few years ago when Hogan was recognised by whoever bought the rights to the AWA, as a former AWA World Champion. Its completely pointless, because he never held the belt, so why should it matter that they suddenly wrote his name down on a website saying as much. You cant undo what you've already witnessed. If WWE wrote on their website "oh ... we're reversing the decision of Starrcade 98's main event. Goldberg's streak continued for the next year", does that make his run more credible?

• Paid Members
Does it really matter in the greater scheme of things?

(snip)

Ultimately whichever side of the argument you fall on, it all seems a tad moot to me.

You can apply that to a massive proportion of the topics put up for debate/discussion here though. The place would be dull as anything without debating the intricate details of whether or not Chris Jericho has won the Intercontinental title eight times or nine, and who was the best Doink.

I agree with the above. Wrestling history should be how your eyes and emotions judge it, not by what is written years later.

Retconning is bullshit.

Does it really matter in the greater scheme of things?

(snip)

Ultimately whichever side of the argument you fall on, it all seems a tad moot to me.

You can apply that to a massive proportion of the topics put up for debate/discussion here though. The place would be dull as anything without debating the intricate details of whether or not Chris Jericho has won the Intercontinental title eight times or nine, and who was the best Doink.

I agree with the above. Wrestling history should be how your eyes and emotions judge it, not by what is written years later.

Retconning is bullshit.

Would you recognize the lineage of the WCW title changes in the WWE? I wouldn't like to think The Rock could be considered WCW champion but not Rick Rude.

• Paid Members
Would you recognize the lineage of the WCW title changes in the WWE?

Yes, I would. At the moment WWFE Inc bought the WCW package it became their title, Booker T took the title onto their TV and continued to defend it and the lineage continued. Retconning, bollocks. Doing what you want with a title that in the here and now is your legal property, fine.

I wouldn't like to think The Rock could be considered WCW champion but not Rick Rude.

I wouldn't like to think David Arquette could be considered WCW Champion but not Rick Rude, but that doesn't make it any less true.

• Moderators

Would you recognize the lineage of the WCW title changes in the WWE? I wouldn't like to think The Rock could be considered WCW champion but not Rick Rude.

The titles Rude and Rock held are different. Although personally I don't consider the WCW changes in WWF as part of real WCW canon anyway.

They still were though. Just like the Big Gold belt that became the Raw world title and is now the WWE Title, inherits the lineage of the WCW title. It does because the people who own it say it does.

Archived