Should Rick Rude be recognised as a former WCW World Champion?

LWOLeN

vlcsnap-2011-12-19-09h50m20s185.png

Currently we have a "WWE Champion" and a "World Heavyweight Champion" in WWE.

It doesn't matter which you won, you go in the history books as some sort of a "WWE World Champion" anyway....

Back in the early nineties there was a similar situation with Flair going to the WWF and the WCW/NWA split.

Suddenly there was a "WCW Champion" (new belt) and a "World Heavyweight Champion/ WCW International Heavyweight Champion" (big gold).

In the title official history of the WWE/WCW World Heavywyweight Title, there seems to be no mention at all of Rick Rude's 3 title reigns. In hindsight he was really build as a legitimate "World Heavyweight Champion" at the time, defending the title against Flair/ Sting and in Japan.

Should Rick Rude still be recognised as a former WCW World Champion?

Watch Rude win the "World Heavyweight Championship" : http://youtu.be/HyfsdninX08

Watch Rude defend the "World Heavyweight Championship": http://youtu.be/hIlqdml7Fuc

vlcsnap-2011-03-28-15h40m04s116-300x225.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of in two minds about this one RRR definitely was good enough to be recognized as a wcw world champ but I remember at the time it was'nt really a world title it was called the international title, unrecognized by the NWA. It didn't really have world title status. Depends if you count the Rocks WCW title reign or other WWE stars claiming to have held WCW titles. Is Barry Windham recognized as wcw champ beacause I'm pretty sure it was clled the nwa belt when he had it.

• Paid Members

No, because he wasn't.

RRR should defo be reconised as a former wcw world champion as like you said He Was.

Except he wasn't.

The "Big Gold Belt" at the time represented the NWA World title, held by Ric Flair, which Flair had won from Barry Windham (see below). The NWA had a longtime association with WcW as JCP (which was renamed WcW when it was brought by Ted Turner in 1988) was a prominent member territory of the NWA. There had been a temporary parting of the waves in 1991 when Flair left WcW for the WWF. WcW crowned Lex Luger their next champion, resulting in the "WcW Heavyweight title" that Vader wore at the time of the Flair/Rude match, whereas the NWA ruled Flair was still their champion. He hadn't vacated their title, he just happened to have left WcW. Of course, they promptly stripped Flair of the title for appearing with the belt on WWF TV.

They crowned a new champion in New Japan's G1 Climax, won by Masahiro Chono. The NWA title passed to Keiji Muto, to Barry Windham, to Flair. During this time the NWA continued to allow their title to be defended on WcW shows. The NWA did not agree to Flair/Rude at Fall Brawl '93 being for their title, I'm not sure why but I suspect it was for WcW announcing the title match without consulting the board first. The NWA did not sanction the match, which WcW put on and announced as a "World Heavyweight Title" match anyway, and the Alliance promptly stripped Flair of the title.

WcW continued promoting the title as the "International" title, until it was unified with the WcW World title in a Flair/Sting match at a Clash of the Champions.

So no, Rick Rude was never WcW World Champion, nor NWA World Champion.

Is Barry Windham recognized as wcw champ beacause I'm pretty sure it was clled the nwa belt when he had it.

No, because he wasn't. He held the NWA World title which at the time happened to be contested on WcW television events.

• Paid Members
Isnt Rude hated by everyone in WWE because he walked out on them? I wouldnt be surprised if they showed footage of him as the IC champion and re-wrote history to say it was the FWA belt. JR was a right cock on that Monday Night Wars DVD when discussing Rude.

I always thought they were being a bit cuntish to RRR on that respect. He walked out on a sort-of matter of principle and because Shawn and the lads were behaving like pricks and Rick probably wanted to belt him but knew not to try. Shame Rick went to WCW, mad to think he died not actually that long later.

Skin head Rude with his awesome tash in WCW 1998 was fucking buzzing. He looked hard as fuck.

• Paid Members
Chilli just reminded of a backstage promo where HBK was flashing his arse and Rude looked well unamused.

The original DX reminds me a bit of the Livewire clip Ian posted. The original DX is just all fucking over the place. You've got Shawn acting like the biggest twat in the world while pilled off his face. HHH is still in the Hunter gimmick but not acting the gimmick which just makes him weird to watch then you throw in Chyna looking like a mental and Rick Rude wearing the same two suits every week holding a briefcase. Why did they need Rude, what was the point of an insurance policy. Rude always had a classic looking snarl on his face didn't he/

Air raid, thank you for clarifying the situation with your knowledge.

- The title change was not recognised by the NWA.

- Therefor Rick Rude winning the belt from Flair at that time was like winning "air", because WCW also eventually decided not to recognise Rude as a true WCW World Champion? This whole match was just simply "meaningless"?

So basically, Rude's big gold belt was just literally a "prop" in this period, dubbed the "World Championship" by the announcers and later the "WCW International Title!?

Does anyone know Rude's view on this? Did he view himself as the champ despite the situation?

Chilli just reminded of a backstage promo where HBK was flashing his arse and Rude looked well unamused.

The original DX reminds me a bit of the Livewire clip Ian posted. The original DX is just all fucking over the place. You've got Shawn acting like the biggest twat in the world while pilled off his face. HHH is still in the Hunter gimmick but not acting the gimmick which just makes him weird to watch then you throw in Chyna looking like a mental and Rick Rude wearing the same two suits every week holding a briefcase. Why did they need Rude, what was the point of an insurance policy. Rude always had a classic looking snarl on his face didn't he/

I loved him as Shawns bodyguard. (Esp when Shawn first introduced him) To me, it gave consistency with HBKs previous heel run - also given that he was just going into a program with Taker.

Archived