UFC on FUEL TV: 'Sanchez vs Ellenberger' Thread

wandshogun09

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Is the UFC.tv thing free/reliable? I've never watched a show on there before. There's no region blocking or anything like that, right?

Don't think so. I'd never used it much until recently and it's simple enough. It is free and reliable. You just have to register an account (just your email address and a password) and you're in.

• Moderators
Is the UFC.tv thing free/reliable? I've never watched a show on there before. There's no region blocking or anything like that, right?

Don't think so. I'd never used it much until recently and it's simple enough. It is free and reliable. You just have to register an account (just your email address and a password) and you're in.

Cheers. Glad I asked - there's nothing about registering right now, just a countdown clock while I've got the prelims going in another tab.

• Paid Members

Sanchez vs Ellenberger

What a main event that was. I wish it was a 5 rounder cos it was getting really interesting there in round 3. Despite the last couple of minutes, Ellenberger looked like a star tonight. Actually since wiping out Shields in 30 seconds and now this Diego fight it's really elevated him to the top level imo. The way the home crowd reacted to him made him seem like a proper top guy. Diego's vampire killer entrance was wacky as fuck but it's what we've come to expect from him.

The fight itself was fantastic. Diego was having a lot of success with his right hook but it's clear he didn't have as much behind his punches as Ellenberger and getting knocked down, taken down and getting hit with the harder shots he lost the first 2 rounds fairly clearly. That comeback in the 3rd was mental, I really thought he was gonna pull it off in them last 20 seconds.

Great, great fight. Could have done without the 'I had a sprained ankle' stuff from Diego though. Even if it's true, which I have no reason to doubt him, he's been around long enough to know how that comes off after you lose a fight.

Struve vs Herman

I fucking love Stefan Struve. Never a dull moment with him. He never just wins easy, he always has to take a bit of a beating and come back. He's great though, Zuffa must love him you can always rely on him for some excitement. He's like the Heavyweight division's Chris Lytle.

Herman looked really good for a round, I think Struve tasted his power and it made him a bit timid early on. But he got over it and found his way in round 2. Good job Herman grew that beard or that uppercut might have put him clean out.

De Fries vs Miocic

Shame about De Fries. He got off to a decent start but he looked a bit nervous to me. His punches were a bit sloppy, although it's clear they had some power in 'em. And I think after wobbling Miocic he forgot about his grappling a bit and it led to Stipe coming back with the KO.

I'd like to see Miocic fight Struve next, guaranteed fireworks. Or Gonzaga could be good.

Simpson vs Markes

Aside from round 1, I wasn't that into this. First round was really good but it fizzled out after that for me. Markes did impress me with his takedown defence though. Any MMA fighter having trouble with defensive wrestling should go and train at Nova Uniao. It's weird that a team primarily associated with BJJ consistantly turns out so many fighters who have such effective defense against wrestling. Look at Aldo, Barao, Nunes and Markes. Some really excellent takedown artists have had no luck getting them guys down.

Dillashaw vs Watson

Was very impressed with TJ Dillashaw's performance. Watson couldn't do anything for the first 2 rounds. Watson was in the fight right to the end though fair play. He had a good 3rd round and I thought he might pull off a couple of the submission attempts cos TJ looked a tad tired.

Menjivar vs Albert

Loved this, perfect opener. And John Albert's entrance :laugh: BIG JOHN....BIG JOOOOOOOHN...BIG BAD JOHN. Menjivar's one of my favourite 135ers to watch though so I'm glad he got the win. One of the best 1 round fights you're likely to see and a cracking comeback. He gets extra points for the Sakuraba mentions in his post fight interview.

An excellent night of fights topped off by a brilliant main event. Deffo my early leading candidate for FOTY so far.

EDIT -

Bonuses are

Fight Of The Night - Jake Ellenberger vs Diego Sanchez

KO Of The Night - Stipe Miocic

Submission Of The Night - Ivan Menjivar

All got $50K

Jake Ellenberger vs. Diego Sanchez is so far the best UFC fight of the year. Ivan Menjivar/John Albert was a really good back and forth one round fight while TJ Dillashaw's domination of Walel Watson was one of the most one sided UFC fights I've watched particularly the first two rounds. The other three main card fights were fine. Nice KO by Jonathan Brookins on Vagner Rocha, I'd have given him Knockout of the Night.

• Paid Members

good night of fights!

* Sanchez/Ellenberger lived up to billing. Found it alarming how Ellenberger faded in round 3 though, it was like someone sapped his energy bar all of a sudden, epic comeback from Diego. If this was a 5 rounder i think Diego would have taken it. For the first two rounds Ellenberger was just dominated the standup, Diego always seems to be on the end of a beating when a technical standup fight takes place, he proved that persistence pays off though cause he finally got to Ellenberger. The crowd was great too, they love Ellenberger. I think Ellenberger/Condit II could happen before GSP.

* Took Struve a while to get going against Herman but her got there. I think the kicks slowed Herman down, come round 2 he didnt seem to have much left on his strikes and Struve just took over. Struve's body is definitly filling too, he's much wider than he used to be. Thought Florian was spot on with the assesment that for such a tall guy, Struve needs to learn to use his length when standing, he barely uses his jab.

* From the moment De Fries walked in i knew it was going to be a bad night for him, could just sense it. Although De Fries landed big early you difference in the quality of hands was evident. Miocic could be a bit of a sleeper at heavyweight, that counter right hand was sweet.

* Markes/Simpson was a gruelling fight. Agree with wandshogun 100% about the takedown defence out of Nova Uniao, Simpson is one of the best takedown guys in the division and Markes stuffed everything, impressive. Markes is definitly a prospect, he's huge at 185, the takedown defence is there and he's clearly tough (the uppercut he took in round 1 would have finished most), but he just doesn't seem to have that devastating power of like a Jose Aldo. It might come, he's young and is a work in progress. Like Miocic being a sleeper at heavyweight, i think Markes may be the same thing at 185.

* Albert/Menjivar, im pretty sure Dana give these guys a little extra under the table, crazy round of fighting. This thing was everywhere, i read online earlier in the week about how happy Albert was that his fight got bumped up to the main card, he deserved it too, he's a go for broke fighter and it's fun to watch. Classic veteran performance from Menjivar too, weathered the storm, stayed calm and let technique take over during a crisis, great stuff.

oh one other thing, i loved Diego walking in with the cross. That guy is as bonkers as ever.

just read Dana White's tweets about the Markes/Simpson fight, he was not happy with it saying both goes blew it and that they looked horrible. Harsh assessment?

It was the worst fight on the main card, but it was not that bad as every fight was at least decent.

All in all a good night of fights, Sanchez did better than I expected. Struve has improved as well, he is very dangerous on the ground with his ground and pound and submissions, and his striking whillst needing improvement is getting better. Although as said above he needs to use his jab more better.

The opener with Albert vs Mejivar was a great back and forth bout and I lost count of how many rear naked chokes Watson escaped against Dillashaw.

• Paid Members

Dana kinda laid into Simpson/Markes in his Ariel Helwani post fight interview too. It aint like the guys wernt doing anything, it was just a case of two styles kinda cancelling each other out. It's came out that Markes broke his hand badly in round 1 too (bad enough to have surgery), so for Dana to rip on them didn't sit to well with me.

Dana also ripped on Dave Herman for the hair, pink scarf, village people look...i kinda see where dana's coming from in that Herman isn't a guy that seems to take things to seriously (kinda like Roy Nelson), but the way Dana said probably fuel's the 'Dana is homophobic' brigade.

I did get a laugh about how annoyed Dana was about Dennis Hallman's shorts when he lost to Ebersole.

Herman is a weird case, not quite sure how far he is going to go or how much potential he has. Sad thing is he has a track record of not taking MMA seriously with not joining a MMA Gym until he was 15-1 or whatever, which may mean we will never find out how good he could be as he does have a lot of natural talent with how powerful he is.

I can agree he does not seem to have much of a gastank, which again could be because he does not work that hard, who knows?

Archived