UFC on FUEL TV: 'Sanchez vs Ellenberger' Thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

1328730704-605x360_SanchezVsEllenberger_WI_Tues.jpg

MAIN CARD (FUEL TV in the US/ufc.tv in the UK)

Diego Sanchez vs Jake Ellenberger

Stefan Struve vs Dave Herman

Aaron Simpson vs Ronny Markes

Stipe Miocic vs Phil De Fries

TJ Dillashaw vs Walel Watson

Ivan Menjivar vs John Albert

PRELIMS (Facebook)

Jonathan Brookins vs Vagner Rocha

Sean Loeffler vs Buddy Roberts

Justin Salas vs Anton Kuivanen

Bernardo Magalhaes vs Tim Means

Very nice looking card there.

I expect the main event will be really exciting. Could decide the next contender to challenge for Condit's interim title. Only worry I have is Sanchez has been out almost a year now so he could be rusty. He's been pretty hit and miss the last couple of years and he's looked a bit out of shape at 170 in the past and then great at the weight other times. We'll see but if he comes in in top shape this should be a war.

I'm thinking Ellenberger comes out with the win. I think he's the better striker, deffo more powerful and he's got one thing Diego has had problems with before and that's great wrestling (Fitch, Kos and Hathaway). And Ellenberger's wrestling is pretty much perfect for MMA, the way he mixes up his strikes and takedowns is very GSP-like.

Rest of the card looks really good too. Struve always brings it and Dave Herman is a beast. That might not be pretty but it will be fun for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing De Fries in there again, he won a tough debut over Rob Broughton but it wasn't the best of fights. This is probably an even tougher fight though, Miocic has some excellent boxing and very good wrestling aswell so De Fries could find it hard to get to use his ground skills.

Prelims are full of new blood. Not familiar with most of them although I'm really intrigued to see how Buddy Roberts gets on

freebirds.jpg

...especially if he walks out to Badstreet USA.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It seems not I'm afraid. Although everything is usually last minute for the UK in regards to getting stuff televised. A few months back when they did the Hardy/Lytle fight on Versus it was the same situation but they got a deal done on the very day of the event to show it as a one off on Premier Sports free to air. But I think they mostly made that effort because of a UK fighter main eventing.

I'm hoping (very slim chance I know) that De Fries being on the main card will get them to do the same this time. If not ufc's site streams are usually decent.

• Paid Members

looking forward to it...

The main card is looking pretty solid, should be a fun show. Ever since the Diaz thing though the main event here has become a whole lot more important. There's a pretty good chance that the winner of this could be the new no.1 contender and if Condit does end up defending before GSP's return the winner will likely get the shot. I think it's gonna be a bit of a classic too, it was kinda buried behind the Diaz/Condit fight but i think this will be a superior fight (now Diaz/Condit has actually played out), i think it's gonna be a bit of a knock-down, drag-out war.

I fancy Sruve down the stretch. If he can avoid any great damage he'll probably finish Herman late on, Pee Wee tends to fade.

This what I wrote in the MMA news thread before I saw this one exsisted.

"Sanchez is a warrior but he is out of his depth here in my opinion, narrowly beating Paulo Thigo and winning a disputed points verdict against Martin Kampman does not bold well for the chances against Ellenberger who style wise has the best chance of any UFC 170lbs of toppling GSP.

Ellenberger has serious power in his hands, Sanchez will not want to throw trade and come forward like he did against Kampman otherwise it could lights out, Ellenberger is also a decent wrestler and strong enough to overpower Sanchez.

I see Sanchez lasting a round or so and attempting a few takedowns which will be stuffed before Ellenberger takes over and turns Sanchez to mush, either winning a lopsided decesion or finishing him of with strikes late in the fight"

I fancy Sruve down the stretch. If he can avoid any great damage he'll probably finish Herman late on, Pee Wee tends to fade.

Maybe Pee Wee does fade late

But still I dont think it last that long, Struve as of yet has not proven to be a good striker and has problems against powerful punchers who do not give him the chance to work his decent ground game.

Herman is a decent enough wrestler to not get takendown by Struve, so I see Herman turning Struves lights out early.

EDIT: If anyone fancys telling me how good a prospect Miocic is, I would appreciate it please.

• Paid Members

well he's best known so far for wearing Mirko Crocop tights. He looked kinda decent against Joey Beltran if i remember correctly. According to wikipedia he's a former division 1 wrestler and golden gloves boxer, and his idol is Mirko so i'd say he's got a fairly well rounded game. He's fighting a guy who's apparently one of the best jiu jitsu (which is the one discipline Miocic doesn't appear versed in) guys at heavyweight so it'll be an interesting fight

Like everyone's said, it does look like a tidy card. I want to see how Dilishaw looks after his win on TUF, he's got great punching power for a guy his size as well as being part of Jackson's camp I can see him doing well over the next couple of years.

I think you might be confusing Dillashaw with Dodson.

well he's best known so far for wearing Mirko Crocop tights. He looked kinda decent against Joey Beltran if i remember correctly. According to wikipedia he's a former division 1 wrestler and golden gloves boxer, and his idol is Mirko so i'd say he's got a fairly well rounded game. He's fighting a guy who's apparently one of the best jiu jitsu (which is the one discipline Miocic doesn't appear versed in) guys at heavyweight so it'll be an interesting fight

Thanks

If he is decent he should win, De Fries was lacklustre agaisnt Broughton who is not UFC calibre in my opinion.

Thanks

If he is decent he should win, De Fries was lacklustre agaisnt Broughton who is not UFC calibre in my opinion.

Miocic is a very bright prospect.

I think you're being very harsh about De Fries there, Broughton is one of the most awkward people you could wish to fight - it's hard for anyone to look impressive against him due to his ugly grappling style and him being so massive. Plus that fight got changed at 2 weeks notice when Phil was originally due to fight Oli Thompson (a striker).

Atleast in this fight De Fries will have the size and strength advantage over Miocic. But I still can't call the winner of this, would love to see Phil win but its going to be a tough fight.

Archived