Whitney Houston Dead

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

She's dead, it would seem.

Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.

Link

Erm, I'm new to all this starting a death thread stuff, apart from that bird from the Golden Girls, so I feel I should put something relevant here. Here's

Oh, here you go, some BBC stuff:

American singer and actress Whitney Houston has died at the age of 48.

The cause and the location of her death were unclear, her publicist Kristen Foster told the AP news agency. A family spokesman confirmed the news.

Regarded as one of the most celebrated female acts of all time, Houston also enjoyed success acting in films such as The Bodyguard and Waiting to Exhale.

But her later career was overshadowed by drug use and her turbulent marriage to singer Bobby Brown.

The peak of her success came with a string of hits in the 80s and early 90s.

Edit: if anyone makes the 'waiting to exhale' joke, I reckon they should get a banning.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

she's was going to (probably still is) be in the remake of sparkle. coming out round october. lot of people saying it could have started a career resurgence for her. i can see the film doing big business especially now. its very sad she wont be here to see it

• Awards Moderator

So, Whitney Houston then? Can't say I was a huge fan, although my very first record was

, mainly because my Grandad bought it for my sister and Billy Oceans' Get Out Of My Dreams for me, but gave us the wrong presents.

Anyway, like most people, my main memory of her as a kid was her spending 93 years in the charts with the Bodyguard song. Not my cup of tea, but really sad to see someone with such talent go down the road she did due to drugs and all that. You never want to see someone get fucked up like that and her performance on X Factor a couple of years ago showed that she was still in trouble, so it's a real shame that she ended up like this.

Poor get.

• Paid Members
she's was going to (probably still is) be in the remake of sparkle. coming out round october. lot of people saying it could have started a career resurgence for her. i can see the film doing big business especially now. its very sad she wont be here to see it

She's definitely in it. According to IMDB, the film's in post-production. It will be a nice (if small) consolation for someone who's been dogged with issues for the past several years.

Can't begin to say how upset I am over this news, I am a huge Whitney Houston fan and her death has come as a total shock.

The most awarded artist of all time a record 415 awards, only artist to have her first 7 singles go to number 1, record breaking soundtrack for the Bodyguard...the list goes on of achievements Whitney accomplished during her career.

She had the most amazing voice that transended colour and race, a voice that was instantly recognisable and un-challenged by anyother artist past or present.

RIP Whitney the world may have lost a legend but heaven has gained an angel

• Paid Members

Really sad news this. Despite her problems in the past this still came as a bit of a shock to me. Only 48 aswell. My sister used to play her songs all the time so I grew up hearing them. Her music wasn't really my cup of tea but it's undeniable she had a fantastic voice.

RIP

Archived