UK Based RKK

rocky64

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would Australia be a clever place to go to? or not?

I just moved out there (Melbourne) three months ago. Apart from in very small areas (in a very very very large land mass) in tiny towns outside of Sydney, there is FUCK ALL wrestling scene here. No local scene, no groups or clubs relating to wrestling at all (was really hoping to find a bar that showed the PPVs every month... nothing). Its a real shame.

WWE Raw is shown at 3pm on a Tuesday (a very random time), TNA does have some exposure over here as their PPVs are shown, not found IMPACT yet, so my opinion would be "no" as the interest in wrestling over here is very very very very low.

Of course if anyone here knows differently let me know.

Would Australia be a clever place to go to? or not?

I just moved out there (Melbourne) three months ago. Apart from in very small areas (in a very very very large land mass) in tiny towns outside of Sydney, there is FUCK ALL wrestling scene here. No local scene, no groups or clubs relating to wrestling at all (was really hoping to find a bar that showed the PPVs every month... nothing). Its a real shame.

WWE Raw is shown at 3pm on a Tuesday (a very random time), TNA does have some exposure over here as their PPVs are shown, not found IMPACT yet, so my opinion would be "no" as the interest in wrestling over here is very very very very low.

Of course if anyone here knows differently let me know.

Melbourne City Wrestling featuring a few Lance Storm trainees.

I was just thinking that WWA was well liked a few years ago. Though their PPV's were few and far between, was just wondering if there would be a hunger for it.

At least it looks like there would be a couple of guys they could put on the roster, quite a few looked in quite good shape.

If Jarret is serious about one on every continent Australia seems about the only feasible option in Oceania.

I was just thinking that WWA was well liked a few years ago. Though their PPV's were few and far between, was just wondering if there would be a hunger for it.

At least it looks like there would be a couple of guys they could put on the roster, quite a few looked in quite good shape.

If Jarret is serious about one on every continent Australia seems about the only feasible option in Oceania.

Just as someone proposed a European Brand , I'd suggest doing a Brand covering the entire region , taping the majority of episodes in Australia but also some in New Zealand ..... Maybe some even in Samoa .

http://www.pwaaustralia.com/

PWA and its spin off company PWWA are based in Sydney,PWA is quite good from anything I have seen.

PWWA is fastly becoming one of the most respected all womens companies in the world and is led by former Shimmer champion Madison Eagles, and also has Kellie Skater and Jessie McKay on their books

Well considering how big Australia is, Sydney may as well be in another country.

I saw the one outside Melbourne before, but they had no dates. I can now see they overhauled there website and there is considerably more information on it. It's just over a hour away so might go check it out sometimes after feb.

People are forgetting that it works in India because India is almost like a continent in in itself, it's home to over a billion people almost ten times as big as the UK, so this type of promotion/tv show can make and generate ratings and money just like WWE in America.

The UK market is a niche, if companies toured all the time they wouldn't be as attractive any-more as imports and money would soon dry up. How would it be a worth while prospect? TV Stations here aren't as rich as companies over in America nor would they throw truckloads of money at an American form of entertainment that doesn't generate huge numbers nor has it generated significant interest since the old ITV days.

Who would watch it? You only have to see even the best independent companies around the country and their numbers (however impressive) to realise casual fans rarely attend these shows. It's very rare UK shows ever reach attendances of over 1000, it's always under mostly under 200-100 fans. Equate that to people watching the TV show and that's pitiful for advertisers, sponsors, networks and backers. Its just fundamentally not a good business idea. :(

The reality is this will never happen, the UK has no stars as they all get signed up, sure you can say certain folk are big names, but only in the Indie Sense, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid at them if they passed on the street, and it's very rare to get any mainstream exposure that isn't ridiculing the business somehow in the UK. To be a success you'd need stars, which means you'd have to obtain/steal them from other international promotions which would require huge money for such an upstart idea. The only celebs you would get used would be Z-List celebs and models because that's all it attracts over here.

Personally I'd love to see it, I think it would be a great dream idea, but unless some rich insane fan comes along splashing cash left and right, you won't. This idea constantly bounces around not just this forum but others yet people seem to be unable to remove the fan from themselves and realise that wrestling is a business pure and simple. It's there to make money, and this idea at least in the current climate would never make money, and WWE will always be the TV draw in this country.

The UK market is a niche, if companies toured all the time they wouldn't be as attractive any-more as imports and money would soon dry up. How would it be a worth while prospect?

It wouldn't. It's the same bollocks as the "we deserve a WrestleMania/SummerSlam/pay-per-view over here" thing. Not at all feasible, but British people want these things to come to Britain for their own convenience. Not because they really think it's a sound business move.

The UK market is a niche, if companies toured all the time they wouldn't be as attractive any-more as imports and money would soon dry up. How would it be a worth while prospect?

It wouldn't. It's the same bollocks as the "we deserve a WrestleMania/SummerSlam/pay-per-view over here" thing. Not at all feasible, but British people want these things to come to Britain for their own convenience. Not because they really think it's a sound business move.

I'd want a UK Based RKK type promotion but I find it difficult to see it work financially . A taped Impact Style show would be outside the financial reach of anyone but the Big five channels (BBC 1+2 , ITV1 , Channel's 4 +5 . I can't see BBC or Channel 4 showing it because it seems to be moving upmarket . ITV probably wouldn't want to take a Punt with it . Which leaves Channel 5 . This I see as a remote possibility but a Possibility none the less . It has dealings with Endemol, the production company behind RKK , it has shown wrestling in the past(WCW) and the Daily Star , which is under the same ownership , is very supportive of wrestling. It would be more likely it you had a good sponsor to cover some of the costs .

More likely would be a European show , shown in half a dozen European Countries , with half a dozen comentary teams and a Roster from throughout Europe . I see a few problems , but nothing that can't be overcome . This would bring the cost of a show right down and make it more achievable . And in time house shows could be run in the markets they are shown in . I don't see great big Stadium shows , but maybe aiming for a typical attendance of 1000 - 2000.

More likely would be a European show , shown in half a dozen European Countries , with half a dozen comentary teams and a Roster from throughout Europe . I see a few problems , but nothing that can't be overcome . This would bring the cost of a show right down and make it more achievable . And in time house shows could be run in the markets they are shown in . I don't see great big Stadium shows , but maybe aiming for a typical attendance of 1000 - 2000.

If channels aren't going to want to take a punt on a wrestling show that's aimed at the UK market, they're not going to want one that's taking a scattershot approach at appealing to people from France, Finland, and wherever else as well (and the same would be true for channels in those other countries). There's a reason that they do Big Brother in separate countries rather than as one big European co-production.

If channels aren't going to want to take a punt on a wrestling show that's aimed at the UK market, they're not going to want one that's taking a scattershot approach at appealing to people from France, Finland, and wherever else as well (and the same would be true for channels in those other countries). There's a reason that they do Big Brother in separate countries rather than as one big European co-production.

I'm glad you mentioned Big Brother . Endemol , who make Big Brother and RKK have versions of the show covering more than one country where appropriate

African Big Brother covers Angola, Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Former Yugoslav Republics Big Brother Covers Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro.

Arab States Big Brother Covers Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Syria and Tunisia.

Pacific Big Brother Covers Chile, Ecuador and Peru

Scandinavia Big Brother covers Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

If anyone could pull off a Pan European RKK type show Endemol could

Archived