UKFF exclusive: Hulk Who Beyond The Extreme's 15th anniversary

JNLister

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Slamthology is a brilliant book, for those wondering. The America trip is really entertaining for fans of that time period. Its filled with references that might bring a tear to the eye of a fan at the time. It was only just really that book a few months back while off work due to being violently ill.

But ... if Lister was really doing this is true UKFF fashion, surely some kind of list must accompany his post?

• Moderators

Who was it that went on a trip around the US watching shows including ECW (may have taken in a WCW PPV, but I'm not too sure) from PS in early 99? I remember a story about the writer going to an indy, and it started late because 911 hadn't shown up to the arena yet and he had the ring in his van or something. And he ran into Steven DeAngelis or someone out of the blue.

Was that you Lister, or someone else?

• Moderators
Pretty sure it was Martin E Cox who, ironically, is thus the most successful wrestling journalist to come out of Cromer.

That is marvellous. Cromer's number 2 gets shouted at in E-mails by Nick Aldis, yet numero one gets to hob nob with ECW ring announcers.

• Paid Members

It was indeed Martin E Cox. I have the magazine in my hand right now. One of the best Power Slam issues ever, looking at whats in it. Cox has a 10 page diary of his trips to Living Dangerously 99, Uncensored, Nitro, Thunder and a few indy shows over an 11 day period. There is also a review of WrestleMania XV, a look at Vader's little Indian Summer he had in Japan, reviews of the Attitude Adjustment tour of the UK (which I went to, to see the Boss Man ALMOST win the WWF title against Steve Austin), news on the UWA Wrestling Rampage shows, the debut of Big Bri's Blunders, a look at who earns what in wrestling (did you know nWo Sting was on $150,000 per annum?) and a lovely poster of Kane in the middle.

What a cracking mag it was.

• Moderators

Brian Adams vs Steve McMichael isn't it?

It's not hyperbole to say that was probably my favourite issue of PS ever. It really did used to be a top mag. I regret chucking them all away a few years back. I still remember that picture of Vader looking like nookie bear with a plastic half glass of lager in his hand. What was the title history in that one? I'm going to blindly guess it's the UWF title.

• Paid Members
But ... if Lister was really doing this is true UKFF fashion, surely some kind of list must accompany his post?

Wow. This is going to be depressing. Entertaining, sure, but still terribly depressing.

Steven Dunn, Billy Travis, Owen Hart, Davey Boy Smith, Pitbull 1, John Kronus, Chris Candido.

It was indeed Martin E Cox. I have the magazine in my hand right now. One of the best Power Slam issues ever, looking at whats in it. Cox has a 10 page diary of his trips to Living Dangerously 99, Uncensored, Nitro, Thunder and a few indy shows over an 11 day period. There is also a review of WrestleMania XV, a look at Vader's little Indian Summer he had in Japan, reviews of the Attitude Adjustment tour of the UK (which I went to, to see the Boss Man ALMOST win the WWF title against Steve Austin), news on the UWA Wrestling Rampage shows, the debut of Big Bri's Blunders, a look at who earns what in wrestling (did you know nWo Sting was on $150,000 per annum?) and a lovely poster of Kane in the middle.

What a cracking mag it was.

Hijacking this thread. Picked those up from ECUK in Manchester before it closed. Worth it to laugh at a scrawny Doug Williams and young Alex Shane & Jonny Storm. *Edit - & how can I forget a jobber Mark Sloan that looked like he just got hit by puberty.

• Paid Members

Ian -- during the night we spent on Euston station after the Michinoku UK show in 1996, we killed a lot of time making reverse charge phone calls to wrestlers whose numbers I'd found online while at uni. Highlights included leaving Kamala a voicemail message offering him work with WCW, then leaving Eric Bischoff's office a message "from Kamala's agent", and phoning up Dan Severn, putting on an atrocious Brazilian accent, and pretending to be Marco Ruas challenging him to a fight. Great times.

Archived