Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members
Saw Norman Lovett on Saturday (was doing a joint show with Hattie Hayridge). He was fantastic

Is he doing another joint tour with her? I know they did one together a couple of years ago. He needs to get some DVDs out there, really.

He was on at SFX on the weekend before I went to the screening of Dawn of The Dead. From what he was saying hes only just finished a small tour with her again

• Paid Members
At times Dane Cook can be brilliant, but I wish he'd take more risks and be like his hero George Carlin.

Can only assume these times have never been recorded or put in the public domain? There was a story about him on Chortle the other week where he played at a NY comedy club, died on his arse then went mental onstage.

• Paid Members
At times Dane Cook can be brilliant, but I wish he'd take more risks and be like his hero George Carlin.

Can only assume these times have never been recorded or put in the public domain? There was a story about him on Chortle the other week where he played at a NY comedy club, died on his arse then went mental onstage.

It has really all gone to his head because he is so erm.... over with the normally female American population. Found one where you get the idea. Mostly observational but can go a bit Russell Brand at times! I haven't heard much about him for a long time so its sad that he died on his arse at a club.

Both shows on the 'Retaliation' double album by Dane Cook are among the best standup routines I've heard.

Since I got an ipod I have enjoyed listening to standup shows more than watching them on TV. Other American shows I've liked are 'Complaints & Grievances' and 'Back In Town' by George Carlin, 'Killing 'Em Softly' by Dave Chappelle, 'No Respect' by Rodney Dangerfield, and 'Never Scared' by Chris Rock.

No mentions of Doug Stanhope (that i could see)? He's rather brash compared to legends like Carlin and Hicks but has me in stiches most of the time, although in his last CD "Oslo: Burning the Bridge to Nowhere" he seems to be getting bored and has lost his anger/edge but his take on Norwegian Vaginas is amazing.

• Paid Members
Tim Vine's first couple of DVD's are a great watch if you like one-liner's and childish humour.

Fans of one-liner's should also check out Mitch Hedberg. Died a few years back but has 3 comedy albums you can pick up (all good) and a load of TV appearances floating about the net. One of my personal favourites in style, delivery and intonation*. The fact he's hilarious helps too! Props also to Demetri Martin, Stephen Wright and Aziz Ansari.

No mentions of Doug Stanhope (that i could see)? He's rather brash compared to legends like Carlin and Hicks but has me in stiches most of the time, although in his last CD "Oslo: Burning the Bridge to Nowhere" he seems to be getting bored and has lost his anger/edge but his take on Norwegian Vaginas is amazing.

I think Stanhope has said since then that he doesn't really like that CD and that the Norwegian audience wasn't completely suited to his material. I could be completely making that up, but I've got a really faint memory of him saying that when he was on Joe Rogan's podcast recently. Personally, I quite like Stanhope. Some of his stuff is a bit hit and miss, but he hits more often than not and leaves me in stitches. He's definitely not for the easily offended though. I'll be off to see him at some point during his UK tour in March/April if everything goes to plan.

I'm another fan of Ed Byrne. Jimmy Carr is pretty good, though I find myself getting bored of one liners fairly quickly, so I often can't sit through an entire DVD without pausing it (though I guess that's an interval is for a lot of the time). It's not quite stand-up comedy, but Tim Minchin combines comedy and music, two of my favourite things in life, and does so in excellent fashion so he definitely deserves a mention.