Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members

You'll get a million different reponses because people's tastes vary. I'd recommend picking up the Mock The Week DVD releases for a couple of quid or something similar. Most top stand-up's appear on there and you can make your own mind up.

Personally, I'd recommend Ed Byrne and Sean Lock, you can find their older DVD's for a few quid on ebay. Greg Davies DVD from last Xmas was one of my favourites and Sarah Millican's was quite good too if you can get past the voice and the constant references to cakes. Tim Vine's first couple of DVD's are a great watch if you like one-liner's and childish humour. His third one was shit so I haven't seen this years.

I like Kevin Bridges and John Bishop too but they might be a bit commercial for some.

There's a little known guy called Michael McIntyre too. You might like him if you're a fan of annoying posh twerps. He's a bit niche though, likes to keep his TV appearances special so hard to find his material!

• Paid Members

Start with the classics. Bill Hicks and Richard Pryor are both worth your time, and would probably be a good starting point. It'll probably get some eye-rolling from some on here that I mention Bill Hicks, because so many people mindlessly quote him, but he's also one of the most influential comedians of the last thirty years.

As far as modern comedians go, I'd suggest Ross Noble and Stewart Lee - you won't find two more different styles of comedy currently on the market, and they're both excellent.

Finally, I'd suggest checking out Richard Herring's "Hitler Moustache", which was superb.

If you have some live comedy near you, it's definitely worth a night out. There are some good comedians even on the open mic circuit. I run an amateur/semi-pro night in North London once a month, and we get some amazing acts on there who nobody's heard of yet.

• Moderators

Tommy Cooper is absolutely fantastic (the best if you ask me), get on that. I'd also venture forth 20th Century Coyote/The Dangerous Brothers, Kevin Nealon, Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Chris Rock and early Eddie Murphy.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
If you have some live comedy near you, it's definitely worth a night out. There are some good comedians even on the open mic circuit. I run an amateur/semi-pro night in North London once a month, and we get some amazing acts on there who nobody's heard of yet.

You need to start PMing me again with the dates for these.

• Paid Members

As an example, Al Murray was someone I was ambivalent towards before I saw him live. Thought he was good, but didn't get why he was so popular. I saw him live as part of "Lessons and Carols for Godless People", so there were a lot of comedians on that night, and he blew them all away. Such a difference being in the audience for it.

• Paid Members

Definitely find out where your local comedy night is & get out there. It'll likely be cheap & there's a good chance you'll get to see some really good acts. Comedy really has to be seen live to be appreciated and a 'comedy night' with a bill of acts who could all be miles apart from each other in terms of style & content is much more exciting than buying a ticket for a tour show where the audience have already decided that the person they're going to see is great.

A lot of the time people are baffled how certain comedians get so big/famous when you see them on tv/dvd & it doesn't come across. Alan Carr is my best example of this. Seeing him doing the clubs, when hardly anyone knew who he was only for this uber-camp Manc to step out on stage & within 5 minutes reduce a room full of people to gibbering wrecks was an amazing sight.

• Moderators

I've been a long time fan of Rich Hall; I'd love to see him live..

I had an amazing cab driver in San Francisco that looked and talked exactly like Rich Hall. He was an unlicensed cabbie who had business cards printed up that said "the Phantom Cabbie", and he took us on a great driving tour of the city by night, even showing us some crack spots. (My mum wasn't as amused as I was, but he gave her a rose and then she was OK).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I've never seen Rich Hall or Sean Lock live...god knows why but I should really pull my finger out. Just booked my hotel for this years E'Burgh fringe. I didn't go up last year as I got married at the end of August, fully intend on making up for it this year.

Rich Hall was very spur of the moment. My manager mentioned he was going to see him, I got excited, checked if there were any tickets left, 3 hours later I was there. Got to meet him afterwards, and bought his book which he signed. I posted this pic in the 'Post a pic of yourself' thread, but it's worthy of being in here also.

RichHall.jpg

I'm very aware I look an idiot, and he looks like a waxwork.

Edited by Steve Justice