Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members
Does anyone here regularly attend a local comedy night?

Bah, he fixed it.

Did you make it to any when you were in the US, D. Mike?

Edited by Rosegarden Funeral

• Paid Members

1) Back when I actually gigged I used to get a free pass into the Baby Blue at the Liverpool docks, these were my student days and I was a rookie comic so the chances of me getting weekend work was nada nill. So I'd go down every Friday/Saturday, watch the comic, drink too much then go the Krazyhouse. Things were simpler when I lived in a city.

2) Back when I actually gigged I used to get a free pass into the Baby Blue at the Liverpool docks, these were my student days and I was a rookie comic so the chances of me getting weekend work was nada nill. So I'd go down every Friday/Saturday, watch the comic, drink too much then go the Krazyhouse. Things were simpler when I lived in a city.

Edited by Chilli_Dog

• Paid Members

Frickin triple post.

Rosegarden - Yeah, I went to the Comedy Cellar in Greenwich Village (on MacDougal/Bleecker), it's a really cool little place. Greer Barnes was on who's awesome. When I went to San Francisco a few years ago we got tickets to see Louis CK in a pretty small club gig, it was one of the best hours I've seen.

• Paid Members

Mike - I've been, it's a blinding little place, but unfortunately the headliner was Dave Attell, who absolutely died on his arse, and got pissed about it.

Chilli - What made you stop doing standup, assuming you are now finished? I've always wanted to do it, but don't know where I'd get the material.

• Paid Members
Chilli - What made you stop doing standup, assuming you are now finished? I've always wanted to do it, but don't know where I'd get the material.

Couldn't afford to do all the travelling plus I got a job that had hours that clashed with pretty much anytime a gig usually takes place. I don't miss it. I was about 21 when I started and did it for two years. It was a fun experience and at least glad I tried it and got to do it regularly for that long. I still go to Liverpool now and again to perform with a comedy improv theatre troupe so I've still got my beak in the water. Stick to just writing with my co-writer now (OWN material before anyone cuts in there with a joke :p)

• Paid Members
Tim Vine's first couple of DVD's are a great watch if you like one-liner's and childish humour.

Fans of one-liner's should also check out Mitch Hedberg. Died a few years back but has 3 comedy albums you can pick up (all good) and a load of TV appearances floating about the net. One of my personal favourites in style, delivery and intonation*. The fact he's hilarious helps too!

Second vote for Mitch Hedberg. Very possible my favourite funny man of all time.

• Paid Members
(OWN material before anyone cuts in there with a joke :p)

One Warrior Nation jokes? That is pretty fucking hardcore, Mr. Dog

I'm a selective audience. I do gigs at the last port for the first spaceship to Mars, Barbershop quartets and astrology nights :p

[i'm a selective audience. I do gigs at the last port for the first spaceship to Mars, Barbershop quartets and astrology nights :p

That explains alot, them Space Truckers will lap up anything. Lets hope an agent/your agent sees your work in a better light and you can move to bigger and better things. I hear that the Shuttle from Milwaukee has a way more upmarket lounge area :p

• Paid Members
[i'm a selective audience. I do gigs at the last port for the first spaceship to Mars, Barbershop quartets and astrology nights :p

That explains alot, them Space Truckers will lap up anything. Lets hope an agent/your agent sees your work in a better light and you can move to bigger and better things. I hear that the Shuttle from Milwaukee has a way more upmarket lounge area :p

I need to crack the lWo market first.

• Paid Members

I think I'm probably the kind of person who is funny in conversation, riffing off of people who I know really well, but if I got up on stage I would crumble like Richie in the light of the dawn. I've never been very good with crowds of people that I don't know, down to avoiding office parties and even cake conclaves, for the fear that I'll be forced to get to know new people without it being a one-on-one situation, or at the very least, without the support of at least one person whom I already know. I think I'm probably just too narcissistic to actually face that crowd, I'd end up bringing some poor lad up on stage, trying to rip the piss out of him, he'd get a good one back at me, I'd cry, some of the tears would get on the microphone, there'd be a scuffle of sorts, I never come off well in that kind of situation, I'd end up falling off the stage, I'd never be able to go back to that place, people would recognize me in the street afterward and laugh, and of course they'd be with their friends, and it'd be like a fucking horrible chain letter of take-the-piss-out-of-fat-boy-and-his-ill-fitting-garments, remember when he tried to do an open mic, it was the shittest thing we ever saw, but at least it was eventful. I think I'd rather stick to trying new kinds of takeaway food, and accessorizing different kinds of sportswear, and working on endless reams of puzzles that never stop arriving on my desk, some of them as old at 1940, with the clues and answers artfully reworked so that "Capone" is no longer "scary Chicago hood" and is now cryptically "divide cap two in half".

• Paid Members

Cutler from Eastbound and Down. I've not heard a huge amount of his stuff, but what I have's been great. He always pops up on podcasts doing really great improv characters that always have a very specific goal but ultimately suicidal (eg. Hot Dog, a guy who's been trying out for Sha Na Na over the last 20 years).

Many years ago I saw a late night adult weekend and one thing that did interest me was Dennis Leary live. Was one of the funniest Live shows I had seen. At the moment ive taken a liking to being a frankie Boyle fan his jokes are off the wall something I havent seen in years since Chubby's first show I saw. Are their any comedians that are as good as Frankie?