Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

12 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I feel like Jim Jefferies' success has really made him fall off pretty hard. Haven't really enjoyed his recent work and his podcast is boring.

I noticed a Donald Glover stand-up up show on Netflix the other day so I watched that. Looks like it's a good few years old now but I'm not sure what year exactly it's from. Any way - it was really solid. Lots of good laughs. He really is a talented bastard..

I agree with Jim Jeffries. Contraband and Alcoholocaust was great big he's gone downhill since he moved to America and went sober.

The Donald Glover stand up show, Weirdo, was from 2012. I hope he does stand up again as it was brilliant. I don't think he's done any since that one.

• Paid Members

I like Glover but I didn't like Weirdo that much at all. Really like him as an actor though.

I hardly watched any standup last year aside from Chappelle's new shows and Chris Rock's new one. I should try and catch up next year, there's a ton of stuff I missed on Netflix.

47 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I hardly watched any standup last year aside from Chappelle's new shows and Chris Rock's new one. I should try and catch up next year, there's a ton of stuff I missed on Netflix.

James Acaster's Repertoire was amazing. One of the best stand up show(s) I've seen. I really enjoyed Bridget Christie's one as well. They're both on Netflix.

• Paid Members

Not sure if people are aware of it but there’s a stand-up streaming service called ‘Next Up Comedy’. Their app is a piece of shit & hasn’t worked very well for me but if you’re happy to watch/cast from a laptop there’s a load of great content on there.

They essentially paid to film the acts with the best received Edinburgh Fringe shows & bought up a bunch of older (already filmed) stuff. Unless you’re a real comedy die-hard I don’t know if it’s worth keeping up a subscription but they offer a free trial & you can (or at least could) get 3 months free using this promo code ‘FUNNYASFOLK’.

I’d recommend  the shows on there from Michael Legge, Paul Sinha, Laura Lexx, Danny McLoughlin & both the shows from Miles Jupp.

• Paid Members
On 12/30/2018 at 1:33 PM, wordsfromlee said:

James Acaster's Repertoire was amazing. One of the best stand up show(s) I've seen. I really enjoyed Bridget Christie's one as well. They're both on Netflix.

Seconded on both of these. Acaster's is wonderful for playing around with the format, and threading jokes through each "episode" masterfully - it's, in places, a little too beholden to Stewart Lee, but still light years ahead of the rest of the Mock The Week scene that he's emerged from. He was always brilliant on the Christmas episode of Would I Lie To You.

Might not be to everyone's taste, but I also loved Katherine Ryan's Netflix special.

6 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Not sure if people are aware of it but there’s a stand-up streaming service called ‘Next Up Comedy’. Their app is a piece of shit & hasn’t worked very well for me but if you’re happy to watch/cast from a laptop there’s a load of great content on there.

They essentially paid to film the acts with the best received Edinburgh Fringe shows & bought up a bunch of older (already filmed) stuff. Unless you’re a real comedy die-hard I don’t know if it’s worth keeping up a subscription but they offer a free trial & you can (or at least could) get 3 months free using this promo code ‘FUNNYASFOLK’.

I’d recommend  the shows on there from Michael Legge, Paul Sinha, Laura Lexx, Danny McLoughlin & both the shows from Miles Jupp.

I thoroughly recommend Danny McLoughlin. He runs my local stand up night and is the compare there. One of the best comics working the circuit at the minute. He would be perfect on a panel shows as he is ridiculously quick witted. 

• Awards Moderator
8 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Finally got round to watching Content Provider. Genuinely, the most I've laughed at a set in years. Two hours seems mental going in, but it never once dragged.

I haven't watched it yet but it was filmed at a theatre local to me and it's tiny. I'm really surprised that was chosen as the filming location. Usually the comics you see there are low name value and on the up, I'm amazed Stewart Lee went there.

James Acaster... beholden to Stewart Lee

I don't think that's fair at all. Clearly the meandering nature owes something to him but Acaster is clearly his own comic. He has jokes, for one.

I've watched Repertoire three times, it's just so good.

• Paid Members

It's more that there are one or two points that feel explicitly Stewart Lee influenced - the part with the duck lure especially. As a whole, they're very different comedians, just Acaster hits a few notes that are very reminiscent of Lee's style, and they stand out because very few people in his position are overtly following that lead.

• Paid Members

I can see the comparison to Stewart Lee but it's certainly not a case of Acaster nicking his style or anything. Lots of comics use repetition for effect, just that Lee & Acaster are the two who have likely been seen the most doing it. James Acaster however doesn't have to play solely to his own audience, he's achieved success through having critically acclaimed fringe shows as well as ripping it on the circuit. Stewart Lee can (and largely does) only play in front of his audience.

@Onyx2 Have you heard James Acaster & Ed Gamble's new podcast 'Off Menu'? It's them quizzing a guest about their favourite meals (as they're both massive foodies). It's unsurprisingly great.

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Have you heard James Acaster & Ed Gamble's new podcast 'Off Menu'? It's them quizzing a guest about their favourite meals (as they're both massive foodies). It's unsurprisingly great.

News to me! Subscribed,