Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members

On a slighly different note, but at the expense of starting another topic..

Anyone here actually perform? I'm really keen to have a go and i appreciate the obvious thing to do is have a look around for local open mic nights etc, but whilst there's lots of organised comedy on in Peterborough, it's all under a sort of franchise banner so I dont know how receptive they might be to asking for 10 minutes.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Paid Members

Look for open mic or gong type shows in your local area. Open mic would probably be better but your options might be limited, go along to a few first then just ask the organiser/promoter the best way to get on. Depending how popular it is they might ask you to email in & put you on a list or they might let you have a crack at the next one. I know Funhouse comedy run 1 or 2 gigs in Peterborough & more in the surrounding area. 'Spiky Mike' the promoter also runs 'friendly' gong shows so that might be a good starting point.

Good luck

For out and out abrasive stand up, Bill Hicks, Louis CK, George Carlin as previously mentioned, Denis Leary and Stewart Lee come recommended. Also mentions to Steve Hughes and Reggie D Hunter, probably the better out of the 'Apollo' Clique.

• Paid Members

Not been to a comedy club for years, but used to attend the Buzz in Chorlton on a regular basis. Saw some good turns from guys like Steve Coogan (who has always been a stroppy twat), Peter Kay, Arthur Smith, Eddie Izzard etc. Jo Brand started her routine, which was shit, so she got heckled. She then proceeded to strip the shit out of this guy for possible the funniest 20 minutes I have ever seen.

As long as a club has a good compare, you will always have a good night out. Even if the acts are shit, the hecklers make up for it.

If you want to go retro, I'd agree with Butch for having a look at Tommy Cooper. I'd also recommend Les Dawson, still in my opinion the funniest man who has ever walked this earth. His use of the english language is incredible.

• Paid Members
If you want to go retro, I'd agree with Butch for having a look at Tommy Cooper. I'd also recommend Les Dawson, still in my opinion the funniest man who has ever walked this earth. His use of the english language is incredible.

Yes. Les Dawson was simply incredible at everything that he did. In fact, I'm going to watch some of his stuff later on YouTube.

Also on the retro front, Dave Allen, my favourite stand-up comedian.

• Paid Members
Denis Leary and Stewart Lee come recommended.

Denis Leary's "No cure for cancer" is my favourite piece of stand up ever, I haven't watched it for a few years but when I was a teenager I was in love with it and when I revisited it a few years ago it was just as good as I remember.

Stewart Lee is by far my favourite British Comedian.

but like Gladstone said, your taste sounds like the opposite of mine so you'll probably hate these, go for Jethro or something.

• Paid Members

I can definitely recommend Jethro... his jokes about the infrequency of trains in Cambourne are legendary, and ring true to anyone who spent time in the countryside.

Also, if Billy Pearce is still gigging regularly, both his family and his blue sets are blinding.

I'm sure that you're aware of Peter Kay - his observations on things like Quavers, white dog poo, and the past in general are hilarious. He really zeroes in on stuff that we can remember, and the focus on the past means that his material has stayed fresh as a daisy. Garlic... bread?!

Of the ones I've seen I'd recommend Bill Bailey, Rich Hall, Rhod Gilbert, Tim Vine and Adam Bloom. Tim Vine is probably my favourite live act, just machine gun comedy. Also if you haven't seen it Harry Hill in Hooves is very good. Ignore how downhill TV Burp has gone, this show was funny as hell.

Older comedians I say watch Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson, David Allen and Richard Pryor. Other than that try Bill Hicks (one of my fav comedians) Chris Rock, Adam Hills, Ed Byrne, Jo Brand and Lee Mack.

• Paid Members
Dennis Leary is a bit rubbish. The best thing he's ever done is be Edgar Friendly in Demolition Man.

Wrong on both counts! He might have been a Bill Hicks tribute act, but as they go he was very good indeed. Plus, as good as he is Demolition Man, everyone should seek out his short-lived US comedy The Job. It's superb. I like Denis Leary.

The best live stand-up I've ever seen is Norman Lovett doing his Slide Show tour. Absolutely inspired and not at all spoiled by a fuckwit heckler. Catch him if you see him around.

• Paid Members
Of the ones I've seen I'd recommend Bill Bailey, Rich Hall, Rhod Gilbert, Tim Vine and Adam Bloom. Tim Vine is probably my favourite live act, just machine gun comedy. Also if you haven't seen it Harry Hill in Hooves is very good. Ignore how downhill TV Burp has gone, this show was funny as hell.

Older comedians I say watch Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson, David Allen and Richard Pryor. Other than that try Bill Hicks (one of my fav comedians) Chris Rock, Adam Hills, Ed Byrne, Jo Brand and Lee Mack.

Harry Hill was amazing live, surreal, childish and very dark sometimes. I remember him doing a sketch about not being able to afford to give his budgies the life they demanded so smothered them all in their sleep with tiny pillows). Everyone else is fantastic, apart from Jo Brand who is just shit, cant stand her

The best live stand-up I've ever seen is Norman Lovett doing his Slide Show tour. Absolutely inspired and not at all spoiled by a fuckwit heckler. Catch him if you see him around.

Saw Norman Lovett on Saturday (was doing a joint show with Hattie Hayridge). He was fantastic

• Paid Members
Saw Norman Lovett on Saturday (was doing a joint show with Hattie Hayridge). He was fantastic

Is he doing another joint tour with her? I know they did one together a couple of years ago. He needs to get some DVDs out there, really.