"I don't know why I like it"

WWFChilli

• Paid Members

Since I asked you what makes you go 'ugh' and who was really shit. What do we like? Is it an era? Is it a wrestler? A booking team or booker? Or even something really minute. What is they're in wrestling that you really enjoy, be it current or in the days gone by.

Tagged-Classics-King-of-the-Ring-Logo.pngdownload.pngSurvivor_Series_logo.gif

'The Big 5' does it for me. I understand in today we cannot go back to the days of five PPV events per-year. Financially it's a crap shoot considering how buyrates in general are doing and the business itself moves much faster than the days of yore, when these events were king. But I just love the period of the five PPV a year concept. There is so much about that works and shows just what a great business the WWE was and still is. The dedication and details shown to each PPV is absolutely magnificent.

For a starters, the gimmicks. I've heard people go on about how shit some PPV's are these days with them for the most part containing themes to the show (Money in the Bank, Hell in a Cell, TLC etc), but the WWE has been doing it for years. Everyone of the 'Big 5' has a gimmick to it somewhat, even in the smallest details. With the Royal Rumble you have the curiosity (at the time) of the Royal Rumble match. The Match itself for several years was a big draw and one big arse gimmick match. It's probably still one of the best gimmick matches of all time. There is just something special about that event. I loved watching them as a kid, I remember I even liked the 1993 Rumble, simply down to the fact that we only got this once a year and the fact that back then PPV's seemed eons away.

Wrestlemania was not much of a gimmick but like Starrcade, its the big motherfucker and that is it's gimmick. The biggest matches and the biggest crowd/audience watch Wrestlemania. That in itself is the shows drawing gimmick. You also have the neat little changes that the show brings. Wrestlemania IX is lauded by some but aesthetically, I LOVE that event. It looks so out of this world. King of the Ring had the tournament gimmick. Considering as a child I only really watched the WWF, the idea of someone having to wrestle three times in one night was brilliant to me. I genuinely thought Bret Hart had a right to say he was the best wrestler in the world when he won the first KOTR, the mark in me loved that concept as a kid.

Summerslam was probably the least gimmicked show. Once again I loved the aesthetics (that beautiful blue ring apron with the orange logo). Summerslam was in a way a bit of a Wrestlemania Jr. The match quality was usually the second best of the year and sometimes (1989, 1991 & 1992) even better in-ring action. Summerslam seemed to be the Intercontinental Title show for several years as usually the IC match was the most memorable be it in quality or producing that great moment. Summerslam was also the Bret Hart PPV. Right until Summerslam 1995, Bret usually had one of the big highlights on the PPV.

Then Survivor Series, which was always great with the way that show was hyped. As a kid I would draw potential teams based on the storylines, to try to predict the card (I had that many friends) and like all PPV's, most of these events were benefited by 'THE EVENTS CENTER'. In the final stretches to PPV's, the event center segments were the highlights of the weekly syndie shows for me, just expecting the chance that a new match would be announced, or for the Rumble, a new batch of Superstars would be announced. I fucking loved the events center.

WWF just had everything bob on with these shows back when. Each show had there own theme music, specially colored ring apron's/banners etc, the amount of work that went into creating the hook and look of the PPV's to make them that little bit special still makes me smile and remember how much I still love wrestling. Times have changed like, not that I am complaining. But I just loved this period of WWF. So much effort to create so many moments.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Triple H has always been one of my favourite wrestlers regardless what anyone says about him. I've always liked him and hate the insinuations that he doesn't deserve to achieve what he has, and only done so through shagging the bosses daughter.

Any unbiased account I've heard of him is usually that he's one of the hardest working guys in the business, and I truly believe that he's deserved everything that has come his way.

Also, any time he is running the shows in Vince' absence recently, it has always been a good episode of TV.

• Paid Members
Squash matches

I really miss squash matches. You still get a *proper* squash match once every blue moon and that's the way it should be. No wrestling program in the modern era should be what Superstars of Wrestling was like circa 86-95. It's moved on. Still there was a topic on here which had a whole directory full of squash matches that was a brilliant read full of top quality links. Sid squash matches :D

Squash matches

I really miss squash matches. You still get a *proper* squash match once every blue moon and that's the way it should be. No wrestling program in the modern era should be what Superstars of Wrestling was like circa 86-95. It's moved on. Still there was a topic on here which had a whole directory full of squash matches that was a brilliant read full of top quality links. Sid squash matches :D

the sid comp doing the rounds atm is cool

I enjoy the times when the announcers would go out there way to make everybody look and sound good, top to bottom on the roster. Where interviews (backstage ones are missed) meant something, without the restricted feel to get people over. Steel guard rails and blue curtain entranceways. None of the ugly looking overdone mundane crap they have week in week out now. 80's/90's natural fluidity feel to the shows. Everything is overproduced and overscripted and the matches rushed and underdeveloped now. I'd kill to see a good old victory roll or small package win a world title match.

FUM, each to their own, but I truly believe Triple H to be the most self indulgent, un-creative and over-exposed wrestler ever. Nobody has ever booked themselves in more 30+ minute matches in WWE history and only a handful are up to any scratch. So many chances to have great matches and he fails time and time again, despite what his own mind seems to think. He seems to think wrestling needs 30 minute Triple H matches and 30 minute segments of him having the microphone on episodes of Raw. I don't doubt his hard work but it doesn't nearly equate to the time he is warranted.

Mid Card Stables

Stables like The NWO, Evolution, 4 Horsemen and DX are often fondly discussed but i have a soft spot for some of the less loved Stables.

I know DOA were garbage in the ring and that the whole stable war with Los Boricuas and The Nation of Domination was considered to be rather dull but 10 year old me couldn't help but think 4 huge guys riding motorcycles to the ring could pretty much do whatever they wanted to whoever they wanted! Tell me you wouldn't cross the street to keep away from these guys

vlcsnap2011080223h01m22.jpg

Mexicools,Bwo,Truth Commission,Double J and Southern Justice,Right to Censor,X factor

Loved them then,love them now...no idea why

Mid Card Stables

Stables like The NWO, Evolution, 4 Horsemen and DX are often fondly discussed but i have a soft spot for some of the less loved Stables.

I know DOA were garbage in the ring and that the whole stable war with Los Boricuas and The Nation of Domination was considered to be rather dull but 10 year old me couldn't help but think 4 huge guys riding motorcycles to the ring could pretty much do whatever they wanted to whoever they wanted! Tell me you wouldn't cross the street to keep away from these guys

vlcsnap2011080223h01m22.jpg

Mexicools,Bwo,Truth Commission,Double J and Southern Justice,Right to Censor,X factor

Loved them then,love them now...no idea why

coldcrush.jpg

lee.jpg

02.jpg

FUM, each to their own, but I truly believe Triple H to be the most self indulgent, un-creative and over-exposed wrestler ever. Nobody has ever booked themselves in more 30+ minute matches in WWE history and only a handful are up to any scratch. So many chances to have great matches and he fails time and time again, despite what his own mind seems to think. He seems to think wrestling needs 30 minute Triple H matches and 30 minute segments of him having the microphone on episodes of Raw.

Steiner's gonna beat him at No Way Out anyway. Hopefully it will be a better match than they had at the Rumble the other week!

Archived