Monday Night Raw - February 6th 2012 Discussion

ThePhenom

• Paid Members

Shawn's back next week! I used to hate Shawn Michaels in the 90s, now I'm giddy like those fat lasses with the heartshaped sunglasses that he's on Raw next week. He's ALWAYS top notch in interviews and angles, so whatever they do next week should be cracking. Raw needs a kick up the arse at the minute. With no Cena (the Cena segment was pre-recorded and was a glorified commercial for an upcoming appearance) and the best thing happening in the opening of the show, it really fell off a cliff this week. Jericho and CM Punk started how I imagine they'll carry on. Jericho saying "troll" might mean we could get the long awaited "internet reference" vs "insider reference" battle, that three people from the F4W Board probably wouldnt mind watching.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I maintain that, while the angle might be naff, Punk and Jericho will have a really good match. Those guys have a ton of chemistry in matches.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'd actually put money on them hotshotting the belt onto Cena before Mania somehow. Have Jericho beat Punk dirty in the Chamber (somehow), get the belt on Cena the next night on Raw with some chaotic shenanigans, then the belt's in the match that everyone gives a shit about, and the Punk/Jericho feud can happen with nobody caring (which won't matter because it'll add zero buys to Wrestlemania anyway), and they can spring a quality match on everyone on the undercard without anyone worrying about the WWE title looking like shit against two huge main events.

• Paid Members

HHH's promo was great. Part of the reason last years match was so good was because they played off not just their own history together, but the Flair/HBK and Taker/HBK series as well. Undertaker chasing HHH for a rematch works not only as a reverse of last years build and as a callback to Shawn chasing Taker in 2010, but also putting HHH in the role of not wanting to be the guy who has to end Undertaker's career, much like Shawn with Flair in 2008. It's fantastic storytelling.

The rest of the show was mince.

Just to be really pedantic, but I've seen the Undertaker carried... carried from the ring before, on a stretcher. Admittedly he then sat up on the stretcher and made his way back to the ring, but it DID happen. Sorry HHH.

(Can anyone remember what PPV that was?)

• Paid Members

A bit of a filler-heavy show.

I didn't enjoy the Triple H segment. Somebody made a valid point about them needing an interviewer for this type of thing. Triple H was very good but I hated that they felt the need to explain what went on last week (wrestling fans are stoopid, mind), when I thought they did a perfect job without uttering a word. It's a problem Raw seems to have these days, they do something subtly for a week or two then get cold feet and decide to shout at you. Wasn't a fan of the 'Taker video too. I did like the visual of a barely lit Triple H looking puzzled after it though.

Well, the Jericho re-re-debut having zero correlation to his videos has proven to be shitter than I expected (and I thought it as rubbish), he's just another guy now. The sudden "I was trolling LOLZ" explanation was quite the pay off. At least they've given up on the dead end "trolling" and are now focusing on the feud.

Johnny Ace was amazing. Ace and Trips are perfect together.

Anybody know what's up with Brodus Clay? He was cut out of Smackdown too.

Just to be really pedantic, but I've seen the Undertaker carried... carried from the ring before, on a stretcher. Admittedly he then sat up on the stretcher and made his way back to the ring, but it DID happen. Sorry HHH.

(Can anyone remember what PPV that was?)

Wrestlemania 9? Giant Gonzales smothers 'Taker with a rape-rag and 'Taker is carted out, only to reawaken when the gong sounds.

• Paid Members
HHH's promo was great. Part of the reason last years match was so good was because they played off not just their own history together, but the Flair/HBK and Taker/HBK series as well. Undertaker chasing HHH for a rematch works not only as a reverse of last years build and as a callback to Shawn chasing Taker in 2010, but also putting HHH in the role of not wanting to be the guy who has to end Undertaker's career, much like Shawn with Flair in 2008. It's fantastic storytelling.

The rest of the show was mince.

Yep. This all over. I was going to make a big post somewhere akin to this. The Streak and how it's been handled in the last few years and the performances of Undertaker, Michaels and Triple H throughout has made it one of my favourite things ever in wrestling. Full of magic. The fact it actually dates all the way back to Royal Rumble 2007 is just magnificent in this age. I've got madlove for that segment last week.

Which brings me to the original point i was coming into this thread to post. The one thing that's become really apparent with Jerichos whole angle and then Trips and Undertaker returning is just how leagues ahead of him they are. Jericho has always somewhat rated himself way above his station (and i know that's become part of his character here) but, Jericho returning and struggling to get over what he's supposed to be getting over and then Triple H and Undertaker pulling off that master-class in storytelling and selling an angle in their own bit involving silence and nothing but facials, mannerisms and other actions really painted the picture for me in just how good those two are and Jerichos return has just reminded me how not nearly as anywhere near as good he is.

hillarious thing about last night was that even though wwe never flashed "rape" on screen it did however trend last night

When I saw that segment I was disappointed that the visuals didn't quite match the prematurely leaked sounds emanating from Eve of what sounded like her being anally violated by Kane

• Paid Members

Triple H's promo was outstanding, one of his finest. Though he must've read my post from last weeks Raw thread because he pretty much said what I'd summed up :sneaky:

I wasn't that overwhelmed by the finish in their match last Mania, but now I am. This angle wouldn't have worked this well with any other finish.

Haven't read the thread but I'm fucking lost with your comment of Punk getting hardly any reactions. That's a total crock of shit. Aye, he may not be the HOT superstar that's getting the buyrates and ratings up, but surely you cannot deny that he's continually in the top 3 of every show he's on for live crowd reactions.

Archived