Monday Night Raw - February 6th 2012 Discussion

ThePhenom

• Paid Members
My main hope for WrestleMania is that Cena wins the belt the night after Elimination Chamber. It won't happen, though. They'll think the title makes Punk vs Jericho more important, where really Punk and Jericho just make the title seem less important.

Yeah, exactly. It's obvious to everyone that Cena/Rock and Taker/HHH are the money matches, and they'd do well to avoid the mistake they've made in the past of not having the title in one of the matches that people care about. Look at Wreslemania 25, with everyone losing their shit over Michaels/Undertaker then not giving a shit about HHH/Orton. 26 had the same problem, but slightly differently - they quite rightly put the money match on last, but still didn't have the title in it. The WWE belt didn't suffer hugely that time because the buildup to Cena/Batista was ace, but it was still playing second fiddle. Everybody who's even seen an advert for Wrestlemania in passing knows that Cena/Rock is going on last, and with Taker/HHH on the card with a shitload of build too, the belt is an insignificance no matter how great a match Punk and Jericho pull out. Which is a shame, because a) they absolutely will be trying to put on a great one, and b) that would be an ace title main event on a lesser show.

I can dream. Now that I've had time to dwell on it I agree that they'll probably have Jericho/Punk for the belt, and it won't change the pace of the last few years where the title isn't the most important part of Wrestlemania. It won't ruin the show. Part of me will be thinking of what could've been, but I'm sure Cena/Rock will be an awesome spectacle, and a cracking match, whether the belt's there or not.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone else thought that The Rock might be the brains behind the "embrace the hate" angle? Wanting Cena to turn on the fans because he doesn't want Cena outshining him in his comeback match. Everyone is expecting Cena to turn at somepoint before Mania, but I think we may be thrown a curveball and have a Rocky turn, eventually losing it when Cena refuses to "Embrace the Hate".

This could work throwing the WWE title in the mix too. If the full on Heel Dwayne Johnson as to win the title at Mania, what would stop him from just leaving with the belt? The wwe could then re-do the punk storyline properly, with the Rock eventually returning at Summerslam and dropping it back to Cena.

I have no problem with Punk vs Jericho at Mania being for the title. If the belt is on Cena then isn't that just saying that Cena will definitely win at Mania? Surely they cant put the belt on the Rock when he'll never go back to a full time schedule. Leaving Cena vs Rock without a title involved makes me actually wonder who'll win.

I think Cena's going over... but maybe, just maybe Dwayne wins and sets up a chase for JC to win the belt back at the next PPV

That could work if Rock was gonna work all the Raws inbetween and be willing to drop it after a month. But to me Cena vs Rock is huge enough as it is, it doesn't need the belt.

I hear what you're saying. I think the belt not being part of the story is based on the unpredictability of Dwayne's appearances rather than the match not needing the belt/ belt not needing the match argument.

Considering Dwayne is rumoured to be signed to a contract beyond Mania I'm sure we'll see Dwayne - Cena II this year at some stage, so makes sense for DJ to take the first win then JC to avenge it down the line

The belt is just a prop - Dwayne can just appear via satellite and suggest he doesn't need to defend it on Raw as Raw is not worthy of his appearance - he'll only defend it at a PPV of his choice, thus turning him heel... with SuperCena going through all obstacles to bring the belt back to Raw

This could work throwing the WWE title in the mix too. If the full on Heel Dwayne Johnson as to win the title at Mania, what would stop him from just leaving with the belt? The wwe could then re-do the punk storyline properly, with the Rock eventually returning at Summerslam and dropping it back to Cena.

Great minds PSF.

By announcing the match a year in advance, they missed out on the opportunity to build this feud as a slow burner, with Cena wanting the match as a result of what went down at WM27 but Dwayne refusing as he doesn't see Cena being on his level.

We could then have had weeks of Cena throwing down the challenge only for the Rock to appear via satellite to tell him to kiss his arse... having it escalated by Cena getting on the set of Dwayne's latest movie to challenge him face to face. One or the other catches a beat down captured by the movie/ WWE cameras and the press. It gets on Twitter, the news etc, there's a buzz around the product.

Dwayne says I'll only wrestle you on one condition - for the WWE tltle at Mania. You then have Cena try and win the title going through various opponents, failing and then eventually capturing the title. The fans give a shit because they want to see the match, and you have the feud built up nicely.

At Mania, Cena gives Dwayne everything he has, and Dwayne can't put him away. Throughout the match you have Dwayne using more and more heel tactics in order to win, and his earlier claims of Cena not looking as though he is on his level look silly. Not wanting to be outdone, in front of his home crowd he resorts to beating JC down with a chair to gain the win - much like Austin at WM17. You have your full on heel turn and the opportunity for the aforementioned Dwayne - Cena II to play out for later in the year.

The first part of that can't obviously now happen, but the Mania events can.

Turn Cena heel = good move, turn Dwayne heel = good move. Keep it going the way it is with an eventual showing of mutual respect = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Paid Members
But to me Cena vs Rock is huge enough as it is, it doesn't need the belt.

No, but the belt needs Cena vs Rock.

The best thing for the belt would have been to have Rock and Cena fight over it. That should have been done months ago though. it's an afterthought now. Rock has never mentioned it, he's got no desire to win it. They should have had him talking about it all this time and should've put it on Cena months ago too. Now it'd be overshadowed by everything else, it would suffer from yet more short term title reigns and quick fire title changes and wouldn't be the focus of the match, certainly not believably.

Jericho and Punk fighting over who is the best in the world with the title as the prize is much more fitting, though less glamorous.

Jericho and Punk fighting over who is the best in the world with the title as the prize is much more fitting

Not halfway down the card, it's not. Maybe if this was Armajudgmunforbacklash and it was main-eventing, but we all know who is really fighting over who is the best in the world at WrestleMania.

• Paid Members

Maybe she's just a reckless worker. I dont think they are going to be to chuffed that a women in one of the main storylines has a broken nose, especially if someone did it on purpose..

People at the level of Beth Phoenix dont hand out "receipts". Its the Divas division, not All Japan Women.

If The Rock was to win the belt off Cena at Mania, I hope they'd make him drop it to someone else. I think The Rock holding the belt would improve its tarnished image somewhat, but mainly if he lost it to a younger star in need of the rub. Cena doesn't need that win, he's already as big as he's ever going to be.

• Paid Members

The problem is though that no one really deserves the rub at this point. For example, if Dolph Ziggler beat The Rock for the title no casual fan would say "Ziggler beat The Rock, holy shit that guy is the real deal!" they'd say "Ziggler beat The Rock, that is so shitty and lame".

The whole basis of the Jericho vs. Punk feud is about who really is the best in the world. They need the title on the line, otherwise it makes no sense. It's Wrestlemania, there is room for multiple main events. Even if the one for the title isn't at the top of the totem pole.

The Eve injury was clearly a receipt from the legdrop Eve's been botching on Beth and Natty.

Bit shit to do it just before a tour.

The Divas aren't on the tour because of the strict dress code that Abu Dhabi have.

As for RAW, I think it's the announcers fault for it being so shit. Michael Cole may slag off Daniel Bryan, but he's putting him over by saying how condesending or rubbish his stories are, and whatever. If after the Jericho segment, King or Cole pointed out how Jericho was just taking the piss with the videos, it'd put more focus on him being a knobhead to the fans. Instead it's all "well King, Chris Jericho came out and claimed everyone was copying him, so then CM Punk came out and held up the WWE Title". Cheers dickhead, that'd be useful to Stevie Wonder, but we can all see what's happening on screen. They need to give an opinion as that'd be a better indication of who's a goodie and who's a baddie.

Archived