Monday Night Raw - February 6th 2012 Discussion

ThePhenom

• Paid Members

I pretty much agree with all those saying that the HHH/Taker stuff was top notch and the rest of the show was toss. The way they have handled the Taker storyline in these first two weeks has been brilliant, it's been way better than I thought it would be. Add HBK to the mix next week and it just gets better.

Really weak show apart from that though. Bitterly disappointed we didn't even get any Funkasaurus.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Raw was a bit pish, barring Triple H and The Undertaker video.

Why is Khali there? AND why did he pin Cody like he was nothing at all, what a joke.

Although I liked Otunga and am really digging him, clearly the big swerve making Sheamus win the Rumble has thrown them as they now have no idea what to do with him. Putting him in random matches isn't a great way to fill the time.

And they could have at least given a little attention to The Miz, Dolph Ziggler, R-Truth and Kofi Kingston. I know they aren't wining EC, but maybe an effort to convince a fan that they just might, to make us care they are there at all. to give them something worth buying the PPV for?

Meh. I sounded really negative there, I have been enjoying a lot of stuff, but i thought it was shit. Where was the Funkasaurus? :(

• Paid Members
Haven't read the thread but I'm fucking lost with your comment of Punk getting hardly any reactions. That's a total crock of shit. Aye, he may not be the HOT superstar that's getting the buyrates and ratings up, but surely you cannot deny that he's continually in the top 3 of every show he's on for live crowd reactions.

Phenom likes a bandwagon these days. He thought Raw and everything in general in this age was shit every week until one week, everyone jumped on him for being an overly moany, miserable moaner full of misery. Suddenly Raw was great and has been almost every week since.

Agree with the sentiments about this week's show... Though feel last week's very prased show (praise which I didn't think was deserved) is part of the reason we got this one. As Taker 'returned' last week, yet apparently wasn't available to appear for this one... So that's limiting. And the Jericho/Punk thing had a standing start storylinewise too (unless you think the attack out of nowhere, and Twitter comments from months ago, constitute significant storyline elements)...

Brodus 'Funkasaurus' Clay did the same old thing last week, and isn't really a character, it's just a gimmick, so again, limiting. What do you do with the guy now? Same again? He isn't really involved with anybody/anything else. That's the sort of thing they should have been making headway with last week, but failed. Mid-carders rarely get an actual storyline (and some never get an actual character) and that's why I feel last week's show and this week's show are only separated by good wrestling action and Taker's unexpected return. They're both weak in terms of actual writing and development. Last week's seemed to use good wrestling as filler, whilst this week's seemed to use video packages, repetition etc as filler...

Good wrestling combined with Taker returning meant people really enjoyed last week's show, from what I could make out anyway. I thought both this week and last week were poor in terms of writing, and think it's a shame Punk and Jericho have both started potentially uber-compelling storylines in recent times, yet both are essentially just doing standard 'build up the PPV, who is best? We don't like each other because we are in a feud now!' stuff. Both guys could actually be in standout, career-defining, era-changing storylines right now, instead they're in a bog-standard feud together, whilst the energy and focus has evidently been shifted to Trips and the currently unavailable Taker.

Cena and The Rock will get more energy/focus and screentime as we head towards Wrestlemania too, which I'd happily endorse, if it wasn't for the fact that WWE don't appear to have any real intention of building up Cena/Rock at all. It is going to be John Cena Vs Dwayne Johnson. There is no 'Rock' on WWE TV anymore. Except in name. Like that time not too long ago when he was on Raw, kissing Mae Young and embracing Teddy Long. That isn't The Rock, that is some horrible mixture of Dwayne Johnson and Gewirtz/McMahon's creative guff... Can call that guy The Rock, but it's really just bald Dwayne saying/doing goofy schtick. The Rock was a character. Dwayne is a PR bullshitter.

HHH's promo was great. Part of the reason last years match was so good was because they played off not just their own history together, but the Flair/HBK and Taker/HBK series as well. Undertaker chasing HHH for a rematch works not only as a reverse of last years build and as a callback to Shawn chasing Taker in 2010, but also putting HHH in the role of not wanting to be the guy who has to end Undertaker's career, much like Shawn with Flair in 2008. It's fantastic storytelling.

Yep, that's why these guys, along with Rock, Cena, Orton are the real stars of the company, and no one else on the current roster is ever going to get anywhere near to them.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'd actually put money on them hotshotting the belt onto Cena before Mania somehow. Have Jericho beat Punk dirty in the Chamber (somehow), get the belt on Cena the next night on Raw with some chaotic shenanigans, then the belt's in the match that everyone gives a shit about, and the Punk/Jericho feud can happen with nobody caring (which won't matter because it'll add zero buys to Wrestlemania anyway), and they can spring a quality match on everyone on the undercard without anyone worrying about the WWE title looking like shit against two huge main events.

This won't happen.

Cena and The Rock will get more energy/focus and screentime as we head towards Wrestlemania too, which I'd happily endorse, if it wasn't for the fact that WWE don't appear to have any real intention of building up Cena/Rock at all. It is going to be John Cena Vs Dwayne Johnson. There is no 'Rock' on WWE TV anymore. Except in name. Like that time not too long ago when he was on Raw, kissing Mae Young and embracing Teddy Long. That isn't The Rock, that is some horrible mixture of Dwayne Johnson and Gewirtz/McMahon's creative guff... Can call that guy The Rock, but it's really just bald Dwayne saying/doing goofy schtick. The Rock was a character. Dwayne is a PR bullshitter.

I agree with this entirely, and I've been saying it for months

I have no emotional investment in Dwayne Johnson, I have an emotional investment in The Rock. WWE have spent the last few months selling me a guy that I've never seen before on their TV. There have been glimpses of The Rock early on in the feud, but around Survivor Series time I think someone's just said 'fuck it' let's give them full on Dwayne

Dwayne Johnson is a media savvy, grinning buffoon. I'm sure he's a great guy in real life, in fact I know he is. But I have no interest in what a great humanitarian he is, and how he's attempting to raise human consciousness with his unstoppable energy... not on WWE TV. I want to see The Rock in one last hurrah going up against the icon that defines everything that he despises. I want nothing more than John Cena to win this match

Dwayne Johnson is bigger than the WWE, and the WWE knows it.

Now that I think about it, I'd actually put money on them hotshotting the belt onto Cena before Mania somehow. Have Jericho beat Punk dirty in the Chamber (somehow), get the belt on Cena the next night on Raw with some chaotic shenanigans, then the belt's in the match that everyone gives a shit about, and the Punk/Jericho feud can happen with nobody caring (which won't matter because it'll add zero buys to Wrestlemania anyway), and they can spring a quality match on everyone on the undercard without anyone worrying about the WWE title looking like shit against two huge main events.

My main hope for WrestleMania is that Cena wins the belt the night after Elimination Chamber. It won't happen, though. They'll think the title makes Punk vs Jericho more important, where really Punk and Jericho just make the title seem less important.

I have no problem with Punk vs Jericho at Mania being for the title. If the belt is on Cena then isn't that just saying that Cena will definitely win at Mania? Surely they cant put the belt on the Rock when he'll never go back to a full time schedule. Leaving Cena vs Rock without a title involved makes me actually wonder who'll win.

I have no problem with Punk vs Jericho at Mania being for the title. If the belt is on Cena then isn't that just saying that Cena will definitely win at Mania? Surely they cant put the belt on the Rock when he'll never go back to a full time schedule. Leaving Cena vs Rock without a title involved makes me actually wonder who'll win.

I think Cena's going over... but maybe, just maybe Dwayne wins and sets up a chase for JC to win the belt back at the next PPV

I think Cena's going over... but maybe, just maybe Dwayne wins and sets up a chase for JC to win the belt back at the next PPV

That could work if Rock was gonna work all the Raws inbetween and be willing to drop it after a month. But to me Cena vs Rock is huge enough as it is, it doesn't need the belt.

Archived