BWP Fight Night - Wrexham - ADULTS ONLY 03/03/2012

Jacob Israel

I forgot about this.

SUPERTIP!

For those visiting Wrexham for the show it's worth keeping in mind that Liquid is a fucking shit tip, Voodoo Moon just around the corner is infinitely nicer so I'd suggest going there after the show.

What a name for a bar! haha, im off to this though I need to dash at 9.30pm to get to Blackburn for my door shift. (so only 4/5 pints allowed haha) Come say hello if you see me :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Potentially this could have been a great night of Professional Wrestling with some great matches with Top Class wrestlers.

Unfortunately,for me, the evening was ruined by the one hour late start and two unnecessary and overlong intervals.This meant missing the last three matches and having to constantly watch the clock to avoid missing my train.

• Paid Members
I forgot about this.

SUPERTIP!

For those visiting Wrexham for the show it's worth keeping in mind that Liquid is a fucking shit tip, Voodoo Moon just around the corner is infinitely nicer so I'd suggest going there after the show.

Did you go to the show Butch?

• Moderators

Nah, I went to the local instead. Looking at the problems with long intermissions and starting late (which really fucks me off when shows do that) it was probably for the best.

I did make the trip after talking with the promoter and did say I would come due to its early start(as I have work at 11pm).

The advertised start on all posters was '6pm first fight'.

The doors opened at 5.30pm with 4 people in the queue and my group of 3 joining them. We were put into a smaller room of the club with no bar open and made to wait for 30mins in there. Thats when I guessed it would start late. When we did get in just after 6pm we were given no explanation of any late start just made to stand about until after 7pm. The ring was set up in a strange place with some lighting fixture above it so it would limit most top rope stuff, even more than my own venue. The merch was all blow up toys etc? on an adults show?

The show did eventually start after 7pm. I did not realise that BWP use live commentating. This was quite distracting with no atmosphere. Though comments like 'suck him off' and the classic ladies match comment of 'hit her in the tit' was quite degrading when the guys were still trying to entertain.

2 matches in and there was a 20min interval??? no explanation just that there was an interval. So its after 8pm and well over 2 and a half hours in the venue there had been 2 matches.

The show carried on after 8ish and after another couple of matches, so about half way through the show (9/10 matches on card) there was another interval. My group walked out at 9pm and with 4 matches to go and a rumble match I have no idea when it actually finished. So im told others followed me leaving and 14 people including staff was there to see the main event.

I could not fault the card or the matches but the set up seemed odd. From kids toys to communication issues to the pointless swearing that was out of context to try justify adult shows. The nightclub was even the wrong shape in my eyes. I see that there is another BWP show planned in a different club next month, I hope it goes much better. I just think people see PCW pulling in good numbers in a nightclub and think its easy?

I know BWP are much better than this show and they will bounce back.

20 people? that must have looked terrible in a nightclub. Feel sorry for the wrestlers.

It was hard work I dont mind telling you but to be fair to BWP their intentions were good and this is a minor blip really given the fact that they do draw elsewhere and have proven to be successful elsewhere. As mentioned before it will bounce back from this and continue to do well in the future.

20 people? that must have looked terrible in a nightclub. Feel sorry for the wrestlers.

It was hard work I dont mind telling you but to be fair to BWP their intentions were good and this is a minor blip really given the fact that they do draw elsewhere and have proven to be successful elsewhere. As mentioned before it will bounce back from this and continue to do well in the future.

I hope they do, never seen a show of theirs but everyone hits road bumps. They were brave enough to leave their comfort zone.

I have been keeping an eye on this thread awaiting feedback, and regardless of the poor turnout and restrictions put upon Britannia Wrestling Promotions by the venue itself, it is good to see/read that those who did attend appreciated the talent that were booked on the show, and that each and every member of the roster still busted their balls to ensure that those that did pay their good money were entertained non-the-less.

The venue requested that Britannia Wrestling Promotions start at 5.30pm to try and maximise their bar takings during hours that the club would normally be closed to the public. Such is also the case with the intervals, the venue requested that we have regular intervals (given the additional time the show should have been running for) - BWP took it upon ourselves to cut several of the proposed intervals throughout the night so not to take the p**s too much from those fans who were in attendance, which for accuracy purposes was 52 paying spectators by close of business that night.

Britannia Wrestling Promotions have been running shows in Wales and Cheshire for over 3 years, around 40 shows and 98% of them being successful. Indeed Steven Fludder is correct in stating that this was our 1st show in a nightclub environment as we usually cater for the family audience. However Britannia Wrestling Promotions certainly did not look to copy or replicate Preston City Wrestling or any of the many other nightclub based Promotions in the UK. We also did not think that anything was 'easy', with the vast experience that BWP has, we are fully aware of what goes into promoting shows of any genre and in any location, as with most shows (successful or not) location is one of the key factors - should Liquid Nightclub have been run in a different Town or City in the UK, perhaps it would have been more successful, this is something that we will now consider when moving forward. This is a very fickle business, and BWP felt that venturing into a new scene for us was a risk that needed to be taken, on this particular occasion we were let down by a couple of factors which resulted in a show that had a sub-standard atmosphere for Britannia Wrestling Promotions fans have become accustom to.

Britannia Wrestling Promotions have fought tooth and nail to establish a wrestling community and following in Wales over the past 3+ years, constantly improving, constantly growing in size and profile - Wales is sometimes overlooked in the National wrestling circles, so in order for our aim of putting Wales back on the Pro-Wrestling map, risks must, and will, be taken - we do not expect every risk and venture to be a success, but nor will they all fail.

Everything was set up for success last weekend with regards to the talent booked, the promotion of the show, etc - the venue promised that they get good turnouts at that time when they open the doors early, alas, was not to be - we take it on our chin and we move forward with greater knowledge and understanding of this genre of show and from that we will learn and improve.

Thank you to those who did attend last weekend - the action itself was second to none and would like to invite you back to one of our more regular venues to witness one of our more typical shows - I am confident that you will leave with a better picture of what Britannia Wrestling Promotions actually produce when less restrictions are put upon us by venue management. We are indeed looking into holding another nightclub show in another area of North Wales during the Easter Holidays, however this is subject to several conditions that must be met by the venue - BWP do not make the same mistakes twice.

Please feel free to follow us on Facebook or log onto our Official Website to check on the progress of the next BWP nightclub show(s), but for now we have our next show on Saturday 07 April 2012 at Ffrith Beach Arena, Prestatyn, North Wales - the card for this show will be announced in the coming days.

Regards,

Steve Saxon

Britannia Wrestling Promotions

Archived