UFC 144: 'Edgar vs Henderson' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

UFC_144_poster_large.jpg

MAIN CARD (PPV/ESPN UK)

Frankie Edgar vs Benson Henderson - UFC Lightweight Title

Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson vs Ryan Bader

Mark Hunt vs Cheick Kongo

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Jake Shields

Yushin Okami vs Tim Boetsch

Hatsu Hioki vs Bart Palaszewski

Joe Lauzon vs Anthony Pettis

PRELIMS (FX in the US/ufc.tv in the UK)

Takanori Gomi vs Eiji Mitsuoka

Norifumi 'KID' Yamamoto vs Vaughan Lee

Riki Fukuda vs Steve Cantwell

Takeya Mizugaki vs Chris Cariaso

Tiequan Zhang vs Issei Tamura

The UFC's first event in Japan since all the way back in Dec 2000 for UFC 29. And they're in Pride's old main venue, Saitama Super Arena.

Excellent line up on paper again with this one. The main event should be brilliant, I think Henderson might be the toughest challenger out there for Edgar at the moment. I think this is the kind of fight the Japanese will love, 2 technical smaller fighters, well rounded, both have a relentless pace and both show a ton of heart. Haven't decided who I think wins this one yet.

Rest of the card is filled with mostly either Japanese fighters or old Pride guys so the crowd should be into this. Speaking of which, I'm not too sure what to expect from the crowd. Most likely they will be quiet like in Pride mainly giving polite applause and only reacting loud when something big happens. Saying that Japanese pro wrestling crowds are like that but when WWE came there they were more like the American crowds.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the two UFC February PPV's, I always thought this looked the better of two for the main event and the main card from top to bottom. I've looked forward to Edgar/Henderson since it was first announced in November. Tough fight to call, I go back and forth on who I think shall win it. I'm sure this fight will deliver.

• Paid Members

On the subject of crowd noise, have the Japanese fans become 'westernised' over the years like they have with WWE? Aren't the crowds these days more lively and vocal? I certainly hope so. With this event being a few years in the making and such a Japan friendly lineup, it would be a nice.

Sweet looking fight card, Edgar/Bendo and Lauzon/Pettis are gonna be at frantic paces.

• Paid Members
On the subject of crowd noise, have the Japanese fans become 'westernised' over the years like they have with WWE? Aren't the crowds these days more lively and vocal? I certainly hope so. With this event being a few years in the making and such a Japan friendly lineup, it would be a nice.

Yeah that's what I was trying to get at in the first post but you worded it better. It will be interesting. Lauzon vs Pettis should be a crazy opener. Hunt vs Kongo could be fun aswell.

• Paid Members

i was thinking about the audience reaction the other day, it's gonna be interesting to see how it goes. This card is f'n loaded, it almost feels like 2 cards. You've got the main card, then you got a 'Japan vs. The World' kinda theme going on on the undercard, it's gonna be a great show.

• Paid Members

Really excited about this card. Edgar's one of my favourite fighters to watch so I'll be loudly rooting for him! Think Rampage will get upset by Bader, Shields will continue his losing streak & Pettis will finish Lauzon.

• Paid Members

i think it'll be the end of Akiyama if he loses. If Shields performs well but loses he might get a pass on the whole Ellenberger thing because of his dad's passing. Akiyama has to be on his last legs though.

That card really is crazily stacked.

I really hope Henderson wins the title, I've nothing against Edgar but Henderson is my favourite fighter in that division. I can't see the fight being a bore at all, I'm hoping it goes all 5 rounds.

• Paid Members

It'd be brutal if they cut Shields considering his last fight & his dad. He's one of those guys that's still recogniseable, same with Dan Hardy. If the rumors of some people going over to Strikeforce are true he'd be a good shout.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think Shields might get another shot even if he loses. I actually think Akiyama might have been released after the Belfort fight had they not got this Japan show lined up. They probably just thought 'fuck it' and let him fight on the Japan card as a last chance type thing. Every fight he's had in the UFC has been entertaining so they probably did it as a bit of a favour to him.

I don't think they should hold the Ellenberger loss against Shields if he loses to Sexyama. Given the circumstances he could easily have pulled out of that fight and no-one would have blamed him. And that was a pretty weak card on paper so he helped them out by not withdrawing imo.

I really think Rampage vs Bader is going to resemble Rampage vs Hamill, just a bit more competative with Rampage taking a clear points win but not really impressing.

I also think Kongo is going to make Hunt look old, the Pride fan in me wants Hunt to put on a show in his old stomping ground, but I think Kongo may outstrike him in addition to taking him down and ground and pounding him for a stoppage.

It is Edgar all the way for me in the main event, I can see Bendo making it interesting and taking a round off Edgar, but I think Edgar's slick boxing and decent wrestling will stop Bendo from being a winner. If Bendo can consistantly takedown Edgar I think Edgar would be in serious trouble, but I do not think he can.

• Paid Members
I also think Kongo is going to make Hunt look old, the Pride fan in me wants Hunt to put on a show in his old stomping ground, but I think Kongo may outstrike him in addition to taking him down and ground and pounding him for a stoppage.

Kongo's a good striker but I'd be a little surprised if he outstruck Hunt. That's the one area where Hunt has an advantage I think.

I don't think Kongo will even try to stand in this one. But I agree with how it probably ends. I see him going for a takedown, getting it and winning on ground and pound. Kongo's got some nasty elbows and that's something Hunt may not be used to. I don't think he'll risk the standup when Hunt's weakness is the ground. Then again, we all thought that with Kongo vs Barry and look how that turned out.

Kongo's a good striker but I'd be a little surprised if he outstruck Hunt. That's the one area where Hunt has an advantage I think.

I don't think Kongo will even try to stand in this one. But I agree with how it probably ends. I see him going for a takedown, getting it and winning on ground and pound. Kongo's got some nasty elbows and that's something Hunt may not be used to. I don't think he'll risk the standup when Hunt's weakness is the ground. Then again, we all thought that with Kongo vs Barry and look how that turned out.

See if Hunt was on 2006 form I would say he could outstrike Kongo, but not the Hunt of today.

I do not think Kongo will knock him out, instead the striking will mainly favor Kongo who will use leg kicks and his reach to win the majority of the exchanges, Hunt may land a few decent shots but eventually Kongo will take him down.

Hunt still has a chin on him though and if he can land somthing big early he can still pull it of, Mir and Barry showed that you can catch Kongo and hurt him with decent boxing.

Archived