Pimping Puro To A Puffter

kendal mint cake

As the title (or description says)

Guy at work lets on he enjoys wrestling, mainly early 2000 WWE as tha twas all he had access to the time. Has also enjoyed a slight bit of TNA and ROH. Seems fairly smart to the workings of the biz. I said I'd forward him some links to some puro as he's never seen any. I need a bit of help on this one though, as previously I tried to get my german housemate Paul into it and failed miserably. I showed Him Misawa/kobashi from 96 and 03 and he was largely not arsed.

Anyone got any better suggestions?

Ah, before I read the entire post I was going to suggest Misawa/Kobashi.

J Cup 94 then.

Doesn't work, not when i tried it years back anyway.

Garbage/Deathmatches worked with my friends but in a "hurr look at them twats" kind of way, it was still enjoyed though.

I was largely indifferent to the Japanese scene back in the day till I bought a Japan Tv monthly tape from a trader from October 98 ( I think )

The NJPW stuff was decent enough but it was the AJPW matches what grabbed my attention with all these big blokes kicking the shit out of each other and dropping people on their heads, had a cracking Kobashi/Misawa match on it as well.

Not much help like but just felt like typing that as I wouldnt mind tracking those matches down again as apart from the Misawa/Kobashi match there was a cracking AJPW tag bout on it as well

Dragongate multi man tag sprint matches. Even if people don’t enjoy watching the style for long periods, a couple of matches with such high impact moves, spot after spectacular spot and all at 100 mph should drop a jaw or two for people who’ve never seen anything outside of mainstream North American promotions.

Richie's on the money there like. I watch wrestling every day and I still wouldn't watch any JapWres by choice. If I absolutely have to, I'd want it to be some quick flippy shit where I don't need to care about the characters or understand the commentary. More running piledrivers, less snowflakes.

Or, now I think about it, something old with some Americans in, to at least keep him watching. Maybe some Hogan stuff? Or doesn't Prince Albert do alright over there now? Maybe he'll remember him from 2000.

• Paid Members

Yeah like others have said flippy floppy matches might be better. Most of the Kobashi vs Misawa matches are so long and slow early on that they could be hard to hold the attention span.

Like NEWM said, going for matches with recognizable American wrestlers is probably your best bet. Vader vs Hashimoto (where Vader beats the vomit out of him) or stuff like the Steiners vs Hase/Sasaki. Ultimo Dragon vs Shinjiro Otani from a tournament around 96 was good from what I remember aswell. Them are the kind I'd go for, non- stop and relatively short compared to the 40 minute Kobashi/Misawa matches.

What about trying to show him some of those crossover Japanese/WCW shows? I'm not saying they're the best wrestling, although they do have some decent matches, but the commentary team's American and possibly familiar and there's some recognisable American faces.

Archived