Dustin or Cody?

Jetta's G-string

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A few weeks back in a segment on Smackdown, Cody was mocking Dustin about him being a joke and Cody being the pride of the Rhodes family. We all know its storyline, but how many of you think its true? Is Cody or Dustin better?

I rate Cody highly, and think he has toones of potential, but i loved Goldust, whether it be the debuting freaky perverted Goldust, the s+m Luna goldust or his comedy gold stuff with Booker T. So Dustin gets my vote.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Absolutely no question about this. It's Dustin.

When Cody's had matches as good as War Games '92, the terrific tussles with Vader, the quality bouts with Rick Rude, great brawls with the Stud Stable (Bunkhouse Buck is God) and even as a greenhorn in 1990 having decent efforts against Ted DiBiase then we can talk.

And that's just matches, never mind the before it's time Goldust gimmick, the superb comedy segments, and the fact Dustin doesn't do a shit overlord laugh or talk like a stroke victim.

Dustin's got Cody's number in every way if you ask Handsome Butch.

• Paid Members

Dustin, for me all day. Dustin had belters in WCW in the early-to-mid-90s, he took a gimmick which would have killed many a persons career and not only got it over, but reinvented the gimmick as a Carry On style comedy act which everyone seemed to love. Goldust had potential to be a Red Rooster style career killer, but he ran with it. Its also much harder to break the stigma of being the son of Dusty Rhodes in 1991, than it is to stand out from Big Dusts shadow in 2012.

Cody's a decent worker, but Dustin is world famous. Someone once said "he's a tranny like Goldust" at our school, when a lad had nail polish on. Everyday insults at school, make Dustin a household name in my eyes.

Maybe some time down the line, my answer will be different, as Cody Rhodes has been improving constantly for a while now, but at the moment, it just HAS to be Dustin Rhodes. Goldust remains one of my favourite gimmicks ever, and the creepy version that dominated 1996 is the best of it. The WCW stuff has been gone over, so that's old ground, and even recently when he was constantly on Superstars, he was still churning out some good stuff.

The only way you could possibly make a like-for-like comparison would be to consider them at similar stages, i.e. the first 5 years or so of their careers.

Cody's been mildly entertaining, Dustin was already one of the best wrestlers in the country after 2 or 3 years.

Who knows what the future holds for Cody or what creative will come up with for him, but I can't see him ending up anywhere near as good as Dustin.

• Moderators
The WCW stuff has been gone over, so that's old ground, and even recently when he was constantly on Superstars, he was still churning out some good stuff.

Yeah. He was one of the best on the entire roster from 2010-injury. Him and Regal had some wonderful matches on Superstars.

• Paid Members

Butch's points are why I'd love to see Cody/Goldust at Wrestlemania, followed through to whatever the next PPV is, with a nice long buildup for both. In every sense - promos, segments, and of course matches - it'll only help Cody, because he could be just as good as Dustin's been, and would probably end up higher up the card for it, due to being significantly better looking (harsh as that sounds).

I really like Cody, more than most I'd imagine, but Dustin is the obvious choice right now. As mentioned, his work against Vader was superb, and even his most recent run of sorts on Superstars produced some great matches. He was also the first guy to get something good out of Sheamus, who started turning a corner once having worked a series with Goldy. And that team with Big Barry? Yeah, Dustin smokes Cody right now.

Dustin for now as well. Goldust's one of the all-time great wrestling characters.

He was also the first guy to get something good out of Sheamus, who started turning a corner once having worked a series with Goldy.

Sheamus hadn't worked with anyone of note before Goldust though, had he?

• Paid Members
The WCW stuff has been gone over, so that's old ground, and even recently when he was constantly on Superstars, he was still churning out some good stuff.

Yeah. He was one of the best on the entire roster from 2010-injury. Him and Regal had some wonderful matches on Superstars.

He had a cracking house show match in Cardiff against Christian a few years back for the ECW title and I was always disappointed that we never got to see them work a programme together on TV. As brilliant as Dustin was, and obviously he is clearly the better of the two by far, I still feel that Cody is going to close that gap down a fair amount over the next few years if he gets given some actual feuds and a good run on SmackDown.

• Paid Members
He was also the first guy to get something good out of Sheamus, who started turning a corner once having worked a series with Goldy.

Christ, I'd forgotten all about that. He really did help Sheamus along, didn't he?

Dustin for now as well. Goldust's one of the all-time great wrestling characters.

Sheamus hadn't worked with anyone of note before Goldust though, had he?

I mean in his career up until at that point. He had some decent matches with Drew over here, but working with Goldust really kicked him up about ten notches. Which is only natural, but he really hadn't shown much of anything before then, besides having a very good body and unique look.

• Paid Members

Dustin has been unlucky in terms of the shape of the industry - I think if he'd have come along even five years earlier he'd have been a blinding Horseman, in a way that he could interact meaningfully with his father, and he'd probably have gone even further than he has. As it is, he's been a rock solid worker for over twenty years, and is just wonderful all round.

Disappointed to see that there's been five votes for Cody Rhodes and not a single reason.

EDIT: Make that six.

Yeah, I'd like to hear from someone who genuinely believes that Cody is better right now. Really, since it's an option, everyone should have gone with "too early to tell", but I'm unsure that with the way the business is right now compared to the early 90s that Cody will get the opportunity to get to Dustin's level. Cody's not able to go twenty minutes every night with Arn Anderson, Vader, Barry Windham and the likes.

Archived