Your favourite opening segments

Murtz

Jericho beats HHH

Raw started with HHH in the ring talking the usual bollocks. Jericho challenges him for the title, but HHH laughs it off until Jericho finally goads him into putting the belt on the line. Unfortunately for young Christopher, the decision is reversed afterwards.

I reckon Jericho could've been a much bigger star if that decision wasn't reversed. Look how the crowd go absolutely mental.

• Paid Members

People always say they should have given Jericho the belt then, but that would have been very harsh on Triple H. He was having one of the best title runs in WWE history.

Even though he had cooled off a bit, I still think the heel turn for Jericho, that led to his title run, killed his momentum. The Y2J character worked far better as a face during that time period, as a heel he was very much a goofy midcarder.

• Paid Members
People always say they should have given Jericho the belt then, but that would have been very harsh on Triple H.

It would only have been harsh on Triple H by a couple of weeks until he ended up dropping the belt to The Rock anyway - and that's kind of my argument for Jericho's win not standing being the right thing, in that most of the previous six months of telly was built around HHH/Rock and the latter's eventual big babyface title victory. Nothing sums up the Austin-injured run better than THAT title switch, the only thing which would have made it more perfect would be if it had been at WrestleMania, personally.

For that reason, people who think Jericho should have been allowed to run with the ball then are in need of a dart in the forehead.

No matter how over Jericho could have hypothetically gotten had he been given a title run then, he'd still never have been as big a star or made the WWF as much money as The Rock - and that's whose heat you'd have been sacrificing to give him the title run. It's like when people say Tazz should have had a bigger push when he first arrived in the WWF - again, all that would happen is you'd be pushing him at the expense of someone who was in all likelihood better and more suited to that role.

Jericho was massively over at the time of that episode of RAW, but then again so was everybody in the WWF in early 2000. That's because the booking was utterly perfect up until the damp squib ending of the HHH/Angle feud, and IMO there's not a thing you could change to make it better.

Definitely the feud that really made me take more notice of CM Punk. A fantastic promo and definitely a sign of things to come.

Outstanding opening! Punk was brilliant during that title run. I miss heel Punk.

Thought this was great when it happened. What a wonderful Asshole Bischoff can be :)

Archived