WWE considering cruiserweight-exclusive show for WWE network

Snitsky's back acne

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It just needs everything to be emphasised and actually thought about - if you started slipping in Alex Riley vs JTG, then yeah, it's just the same old stuff. But if a little effort is put into planning it out, bringing in the right kind of people for the style of show and you could present something completely different. It would be all in the details, like you said.

Like who? Alex Riley and JTG could hit each other over the head with stop signs as well as anyone from 2000 could, but they'd never be allowed to anyway because WWE doesn't want a repeat of Test and Crash Holly .

What you've described isn't different enough from a standard wrestling show to warrant another roster for it. They could fly in a midget to face Hornswoggle once a week anyway, they're never going to do substantial hardcore matches, and they've already got divas, comedy, high-flyers and big men matches as it is now. "Actually thought about" just implies more creative effort put in, and if they're going to put more creative effort into writing a wrestling show, they're more likely to do it for the proper shows than network filler. At least one would hope so.

You could always drop the hardcore element (except for maybe the completely silly, brawl around Funtime USA stuff) and aim it solely at kids, young ones who wouldn't be normally allowed to stay up for Raw (or at least, shouldn't be), or whose attention wouldn't be held by Superstars or NXT. Putting guys under masks, having monsters and minis and try to make it like a living cartoon. It'd probably be an enjoyable Saturday morning style show. I'm sure there's a million ideas why it wouldn't work, and I'm far from being a member of WWE creative, but I think that'd be watchable. You could even have John Cena show up to squash Tyson Kidd every week if you fancied it.

It would be shite probably.

The whole attraction of the cruiserweight division, similar to hardcore, minis, and even tag nowadays, is that it's something different; a little diversion or bit of light relief to bring variety to shows and give the fans something a little bit different. Fill a whole show with all that and the novelty won't be long in wearing off.

Not necessarily. You can still have cruisers of varying styles who are brawlers, high flyers, technical, all rounders, comedic, hardcore etc. Plus you can feature singles, tag, 6 man etc.

Just because a man is under a certain weight dosent mean they HAVE to follow a certain style.

Just because a man is under a certain weight dosent mean they HAVE to follow a certain style.

Nor does it mean they HAVE to wrestle only for minor belts. Daniel Bryan's mortgage would be fucked if he got booted off SmackDown onto the WWE network 3AM slot.

Well it's a good thing I never said that then isn't it?

Believe or not, I completely agree with your statement. I'm not saying a cruiserweight should automatically appear on this show, alll I said was "a cruiserweight doesn't have to wrestle a specific style".

It would be shite probably.

I don't see where I even made any inference that the wrestlers will all have identical styles of offence. But seeing as you bring it up, they do have to generally follow a certain style, not because of their size, but because of the environment that they're in.

If a cruiserweight division is introduced, they'll all have to adapt to however the WWE want it to be like. And I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to presume that a cruiserweight division would be marketed and hyped on being faster, spectacular, innovative etc. That's how it has always worked, and it's about all you can do with such a division.

Making a rounded tv production of similar quality to the main wwe shows is out of the question because if any of the guys on it were worth anything on the mic to be able to pull off the entertainment side of things, they'd have found a place for them on the main rosters.

So it would essentially be a bunch of little guys running around like blue arsed flys working fast paced matches with lots of moves every week. I'm sure of it came to fruition, there probably would be a mix of different offensive styles, but they'll all be working the general style of the division, and the novelty of that will wear off very quickly for the majority of fans.

Take Nonday Nitro for example; a good cruiserweight match will feel much more impressive and distinguished when you watch it sandwiched between some of the other things WCW had going on (heavyweights/us title/horsemen/NWO etc) than it would if you're sitting through some 'Best of' comp alongside loads of other good cruisers matches. Likewise in the WWF around 02/03. You occasionally got good little 5-10 minute matches adding to the variety of smackdown - but would you really make a point of tuning in to watch X-Pac, Jamie Noble, Shane Helms, Kidman and Tajiri going at it for an hour every single week?

There's a reason why Cruiserweight matches on US shows have been a special attraction rather than what shows are built around. It's because they're a niche, and that smaller is generally perceived to be inferior by US wrestling fans. As others have also touched upon, the fact that it's not uncommon nowadays for cruiserweights to be successful in the heavyweight ranks also goes to devalue the perception of such a division even more.

It just wouldn't work as a separate entity imo. I'm a big fan of good 90s juniors wrestling, and if done right I wouldn't mind a division to be resurrected on the main shows - but if they are thinking of dedicating a full show to light heavyweights, they'd be better just going through the archives and creating a cruiserweight version of 'Classics'

Surely the idea with the new WWE Network is that you have shows that will (hopefully) appeal to as wide a variety of wrestling fans as possible. So you put repeats of all the current shows on, so people can catch-up on what they missed, classic stuff from the past to appeal to older fans, reality stuff to perhaps give fans something to watch with their other-halves, that kind of thing.

As such I thing having a Cruiser show would be a fun idea. Bring back the "Velocity" name and make it Cruisers only. Maybe three new matches a week, plus a Classic Cruiser match (from anywhere, ECW, WWF, WCW etc...). It's not like they'd have to hire 20 new guys or anything, just use Cara, Kidd, Tatsu and the other smaller B/C-show lot as well as a few new guys or call-ups from FCW.

Film a match or two before Raw and SD and you've got your content right there. Surely anything that might appeal to a different set of fans is a good idea. They are going to have so many hours to fill, it just makes sense to try and offer "something for everyone".

As much as I'd love to see some classic Cruiserweight action, they might run the risk of making their current effort look shit in comparison.

I think if they were a little less restrictive there wouldn't be much problem (and no, that doesn't mean "chinese blokes doing head-drops, before anyone tries to be "funny"). Though it might be an idea to have the "classic" matches decent old TV matches, rather than "Holy shit" amazing MOTC candidates from PPVs.

Plus if one of the new cruisers on the new "WWE Vanilla Action-Zone" show starts getting over like a motherfucker, then he gets promoted to Smackdown, where he has the new challenge of facing bigger, badder opponents.

As much as I'd love to see some classic Cruiserweight action, they might run the risk of making their current effort look shit in comparison.

I think if they were a little less restrictive there wouldn't be much problem (and no, that doesn't mean "chinese blokes doing head-drops, before anyone tries to be "funny"). Though it might be an idea to have the "classic" matches decent old TV matches, rather than "Holy shit" amazing MOTC candidates from PPVs.

Plus if one of the new cruisers on the new "WWE Vanilla Action-Zone" show starts getting over like a motherfucker, then he gets promoted to Smackdown, where he has the new challenge of facing bigger, badder opponents & knocking back down where he belongs.

Edited for the WWE system.

As such I thing having a Cruiser show would be a fun idea. Bring back the "Velocity" name and make it Cruisers only. Maybe three new matches a week, plus a Classic Cruiser match (from anywhere, ECW, WWF, WCW etc...). It's not like they'd have to hire 20 new guys or anything, just use Cara, Kidd, Tatsu and the other smaller B/C-show lot as well as a few new guys or call-ups from FCW.

So it's NXT and Superstars with a From The Vault match, then. It's a decent enough idea, but it's not exactly a revelation, and (unless they stop doing NXT or Superstars, or broadcast the same matches on multiple shows) it makes the tapings a bit of a chore with more nobody-matches to sit through before the decent ones come on.

I don't know why people say that.

WCW had the best cruiserweight wrestlers in the entire world at their disposal in the mid 90's - Liger, Ultimo Dragon, Malenko, Misterio, Eddie Guerrero, Jericho etc - and worked matches that routinely stole the show, but they complimented the main event stars rather than overshadowed them in my opinion.

Sure, Piper, Hogan, Nash, Hall, Savage, DDP, Goldberg couldn't 'work' like the cruiserweights but they had the star aura and presence that, say, Malenko or Ultimo Dragon lacked and watching their matches made a nice change to the fast paced cruisers. It's always nice to have a bit of everything on a show I reckon.

WWE currently has The Miz, Cena, Orton, Jericho, Ziggler, R-Truth, Punk, Alberto Del Rio, Christian etc and, sure, they're not the name value of the WCW heavyweights I mentioned above but, they all either have the wrestling abilities and/or charisma to be a suitable alternative to any fast-paced flashiness that could be supplied by, say, an Aero Star or a Pac.

It's all about how everything's booked.

Archived