WWE considering cruiserweight-exclusive show for WWE network

Snitsky's back acne

They could be sponsored by Nilla Wafers. Because they're likely to be small. And vanilla. Natch.

Kevin Nash has to be commentator on the new show. I'm begging you.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Would it appeal to a slightly different audience? Are there many people out there who love THE CRUISERS~ but don't rate CM Punk, Evan Bourne, Rey Mysterio and Daniel Bryan etc? Look at that photo the other week of all the champions after TLC. Beth Phoenix is probably the closest to a heavyweight on there. Cruiserweights aren't, and needn't be, pigeonholed anymore. And furthermore...

I think the style of wrestling would appeal, yes. Everyone you mention, bar Bourne, wrestles a very WWE style. If they did produce a show that messes WWE style, US Indy, Lucho and Dragongate type stuff, you would produce something that appeals to a different range of wrestling fan.

Though pointless doing so on a station so niche already.

Exactly. If there is an audience somewhere who pine for the glory days of the Nitro preliminary matches but don't like much wrestling besides that, I can't see them plonking down [X amount of money] on a channel that also has John Cena's Cribs and Santino Comedy Hour and whatnot on the schedule.

I agree with this, because I said so in my quote. To play devils advocate though, what do you put on a WWE network if not this? Assuming they keep Raw on mainstream TV and they don't just want old footage on the network, they've got to come up with new stuff. You'll only go so far with the "reality TV" projects. In reality, if you want wrestling fans to buy a wrestling TV station, it probably needs some wrestling. This is as good an idea as any. I don't buy the "Super Astros" project. If hispanic people wanted to watch hispanic wrestling, there is plenty out there. They want to see hispanic wrestlers competing in WWE.

Really though, they already have the perfect vehicle for this: WWE Superstars. It's already devoted to the cruiserweight and tag team divisions

There is no cruiserweight division. There is no need for one, either. Every cruiserweight on the roster, bar the shite jobber ones who shouldn't be wearing belts in WWE anyway, is a credible contender for the existing titles. The same would be true of any other cruiserweights they hire. There is no sense at all in limiting those wrestlers to a belt that doesn't even exist on the proper shows.

Cruiserweight wrestling has to be done extremely well for it to hold any attention for me. Trent Barreta and Tyson Kidd had a great match on NXT a couple of months ago which encompassed actual wrestling as opposed to some indy guys constantly setting up fake looking spots. I have faith that WWE would be able to pull this venture off well as they have by far the best in ring product in the world in regards to believability.

I think the style of wrestling would appeal, yes. Everyone you mention, bar Bourne, wrestles a very WWE style. If they did produce a show that messes WWE style, US Indy, Lucho and Dragongate type stuff, you would produce something that appeals to a different range of wrestling fan.

Are there really people who think Punk and Bryan aren't good wrestlers now but were in ROH? The sort of person who hates "WWE style" that much probably isn't going to buy the channel anyway. I doubt the concept would even appeal to them, because if WWE did hire shitehawks like Naruki Doi, his fans would do the "WWE are going to train all the goodness out of him" moaning gimmick anyway. WWE is never going to let headdropamania run wild on their network, so if they did have a show ripping off Japanese or indie wrestling, it'd be a very watered-down version that'd disappoint the enthusiasts.

To play devils advocate though, what do you put on a WWE network if not this? Assuming they keep Raw on mainstream TV and they don't just want old footage on the network, they've got to come up with new stuff. You'll only go so far with the "reality TV" projects. In reality, if you want wrestling fans to buy a wrestling TV station, it probably needs some wrestling. This is as good an idea as any. I don't buy the "Super Astros" project. If hispanic people wanted to watch hispanic wrestling, there is plenty out there. They want to see hispanic wrestlers competing in WWE.

By the same token, if fans of Dragongate type stuff wanted to watch Dragongate wrestling, there is plenty out there. They've already got NXT and Superstars to put on the network, and potentially FCW or something like it. It'd be a false economy hiring new wrestlers just to fill the schedule with Super Astros or Friday Morning Fapdown. Keep in mind, they can only fill so many hours of the new network with matches between guys who aren't good enough to be on Raw and SmackDown. I reckon anything more than three hours a week of that is pushing it. They've already got a roster of talent and legends that they can do reality projects and the like with. A week in the life of Roddy Piper is going to appeal way more than a cruiserweight best of three falls match between blokes nobody's heard of. It's a WWE network, aimed at current (and lapsed, presumably) WWE fans. It's not a network for people who hate WWE but love indie wrestling, and it'd be impossible for WWE to appeal to that sort of person.

Kevin Nash has to be commentator on the new show.

Would he not just continually say the wrestlers are too small and point out how they

Archived