WWE considering cruiserweight-exclusive show for WWE network

Snitsky's back acne

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The WWE (rightfully in my opinion) couldn't dedicate an entire cruiserweight division on Smackdown or Raw, because they couldn't do it justice.

That's not really true though is it. The cruiserweight division isn't around because the cruiserweights are the main eventers battling over the main belts.

So..... one of the reasons they couldn't dedicate an entire cruiserweight division on either Smackdown or Raw is because it would take the likes of Mysterio, Danielson etc AWAY from the main event scene?

Sorry but the argument "The cruiserweight division isn't around because the cruiserweights are the main eventers battling over the main belts" could easily be used to support my argument.

And your right.... the presence of a cruiserweight division WAS having a detrimental effect on the main roster. But a separate, self sustaining, cruiserweight show could be the way to go.

• Moderators

I'm calling bullshit on this story. If they wanted to devote time to lighter wrestlers they would have done it on NXT, Superstars, or hired a shitload of them.

Super Porky is fucking ace though. WWE in the "Junior division" days should have had Porky vs Kemonito. Ratings, THROUGH THE ROOF.

I can't see them building a new Cruiserweight ghetto because most of the wrestlers in it would be the same size as Punk and bigger than Bryan, which would make the heavyweight titles look bad. Plus there's no need for weight restrictions anymore. A cruiserweight, unless they're fucking rubbish (in which case they shouldn't be working for WWE anyway), can easily hold the US/Intercontinental or bigger belts these days.

• Paid Members
I can't see them building a new Cruiserweight ghetto because most of the wrestlers in it would be the same size as Punk and bigger than Bryan, which would make the heavyweight titles look bad.

Not if they didn't interact. If they were sensible enough to keep them away from each other, iot'd work OK. Plus, Punk and Bryan have a little bit of body mass. They still look reasonable next to Evan Bourne.

I wouldn't watch it but I think it's a good idea to do something different to try and appeal to a slightly different audience. Though pointless doing so on a station so niche already.

• Paid Members

I like the concept but don't feel they should call it the Cruiserweight show as like others have said, Punk and Bryan could fit in there.

They should call it WWE Xtreme or something lame like that, and promote it as a show for fast paced high flying wrestling as opposed to cruiserweight. And to seperate it from the usual shows, have minimul storylines and make it a league with points given for wins, draws and losses. Then fill it up with guys like Justin Gabriel, Tyson Kidd, Trent Beretta, Heath Slater, Hunico, Yoshi Tatsu etc. Good wrestlers but with little personality and just let them do whatever the fuck they want in the ring.

• Paid Members

A better idea would be to bring back a "Super Astros"-style lucha show, aimed specifically at the Hispanic market (though that would depend on how many of that market would have access to the cable TV packages that WWE Network will end up on), specifically since it would be something different to what they already produce.

• Paid Members

Good suggestion there from HatGuy. When I read this thread earlier, I thought about what other style-specific wrestling shows they could do, then also thought of having a lucha show. They have a big Latino following and clearly (and sensibly) market to them, especially over the past several years, a lucha show might be a good idea.

Chuck Hunico there, Sin Cara might be worth putting in, although not having him on one of the big brands could affect their merch sales (that is assuming he does ok in merch- not sure to be honest). But even still, they could throw a load of guys in masks and gimmick them up, or even bring in a couple of Mexicans for a bit of 'name value' that the Latino market may recognise.

I can't see them building a new Cruiserweight ghetto because most of the wrestlers in it would be the same size as Punk and bigger than Bryan, which would make the heavyweight titles look bad.

Not if they didn't interact. If they were sensible enough to keep them away from each other, iot'd work OK. Plus, Punk and Bryan have a little bit of body mass. They still look reasonable next to Evan Bourne.

I wouldn't watch it but I think it's a good idea to do something different to try and appeal to a slightly different audience.

Would it appeal to a slightly different audience? Are there many people out there who love THE CRUISERS~ but don't rate CM Punk, Evan Bourne, Rey Mysterio and Daniel Bryan etc? Look at that photo the other week of all the champions after TLC. Beth Phoenix is probably the closest to a heavyweight on there. Cruiserweights aren't, and needn't be, pigeonholed anymore. And furthermore...

Though pointless doing so on a station so niche already.

Exactly. If there is an audience somewhere who pine for the glory days of the Nitro preliminary matches but don't like much wrestling besides that, I can't see them plonking down [X amount of money] on a channel that also has John Cena's Cribs and Santino Comedy Hour and whatnot on the schedule.

If the talk of them testing out this other (smaller?) arena is right, then I think they might be better off doing a "halfway house" between FCW and WWE in a specific venue (and with better production values than FCW). A bit like NXT, except the nobodies aren't dying in front of massive paid crowds who want to see Randy Orton and Big Show.

They could be sponsored by Nilla Wafers. Because they're likely to be small. And vanilla. Natch.

Magic.

Really though, they already have the perfect vehicle for this: WWE Superstars. It's already devoted to the cruiserweight and tag team divisions, because it's always guys like Kingston, Bourne, Gabriel, Epico, Primo, Kidd and Tatsu who are putting on great high-flying matches. Before Evan went and arsed it all up, Kingston and Bourne were rapidly becoming the Cena and Orton mega-faces of Superstars dominating both the Cruiserweight and Tag Team scenes and generally being massively over. Why not go the full hog and just make it a Cruiserweight/Tag Team show? Have the tag belts defended ad nauseum and even have a Juniors tournament or something. You can still have the heavyweight jobbers like McGillicutty and JTG on there, but emphasise the high-flying action like the guy previously suggested. I'd even go the whole hog and give Triple H full control of the show. make him Head Booker of Superstars. Hell, there might even be a channel that WANTS to show it then.

Archived