WWE Smackdown - *Spoilers* For 2/3/2012

ThePhenom

• Paid Members
Chris Masters and Carlito were in an Elimination Chamber at the height of their own bad runs while they were boring the shit out of crowds and looked out of depth.

Harsh. They pretty much tore through the rest of the field until dissension ruined their chances and Cena cheated Carlito out of his moment. On paper having those pair left with John Boy instead of Kurt or HBK sounds preposterous, but the way they double-teamed and ousted everyone else seemed to make the live crowd think Cena was in a spot of jeopardy, even if the rest of us knew better.

So maybe Kofi will be great in this one. If you're having us judge Masters and Carlito by the match itself rather than whether they deserved to be there, do the same for Kofi. I agree he's been stale for a while now, but I'm pretty sure I thought that about Carlito at the time too, and him and Masters in that match is one of my favourite things from any Chamber match.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
If you're having us judge Masters and Carlito by the match itself rather than whether they deserved to be there, do the same for Kofi.

No, I don't ask you to judge them at all. I couldn't care less. I didn't bring them up. I judged Masters and Carlito by the match itself, because Cobra did :

Chris Masters and Carlito were in an Elimination Chamber at the height of their own bad runs while they were boring the shit out of crowds and looked out of depth.

... that was what I was disputing. I consider "looked out of (their) depth" to be harsh.

Again, the point I was making was not the suitabiliy of Kofi himself per se...

As mediocre as Kofi is/isn't, at least previous Chambers he got into, he had to qualify.

.... but the lack of a requirement for challengers - including Kofi, who is no main eventer now, not even on the cusp of cracking the ceiling as he may have been in 2010 - to have to beat anyone to qualify as the top five challengers (six on SmackDown including Sheamus) on their brand. There hasn't been judged that "qualifying" is a requirement, perhaps because they accept there aren't ten credible men for them to go over. The declining depth in "name value" stars is worrying.

For frame of reference on the Kofi front -

In 2009 (which he qualified for but ultimately didnt wrestle in), Kofi had to beat Kane to qualify.

In 2010, Kofi had to beat The Big Show to qualify.

Incidentally if you still fancy debating the suitability of Carlito and Masters (I'm not arsed) for the Elimination Chamber in 2006, Carlito had to beat perennial opponent and former Intercontinental Champion Shelton Benjamin and Masters had to beat a semi-pushed Viscera to win the right to represent the midcard in that particular Chamber.

• Paid Members

Alright with the "I don't care" thing! I didn't see Cobra mention that, and I was just making an offhand point about logic.

Back on-topic, I agree with you about pretty much everything else. Just announcing the guys is naff and devalues the match rather a lot. The lower main event end of the scene in WWE is really pretty confused right now, and I think they've actually been setting the Chamber matches up for failure for months by having us have no clue who the guys on the cusp of the upper card. Just things like having Ziggler be the number 1 contender to the belt one night, then jobbed to Orton like a mid-carder the next (I thought that was a great match and they went back-and-forth enough to keep Ziggler strong, but it would've been 10 times as effective if they'd done the exact same match later in the show. Losing the opener = midcarder at best).

They're all over the place with the guys just outside the immediate main event. Bryan's establishing himself in his current role better than anyone in the company, and Sheamus and Barrett are the obviously on the brink, but other than that, who is there? Where does Kane go after the Cena feud? Is Ziggler a top-level guy or not? It's messy. Things usually get tighter in the run-up to Wrestlemania, but the Elimination Chamber definitely doesn't feel like this much of an afterthought every year.

Daniel Bryan used his veganism for heat. I'm not happy that they're using an admirable quality as something to piss people off with. I didn't like the making light of the suffering of animals, nor the 'we want bacon' chant it elicited.

Soon to be hall of famer Mike Tyson is also a vegan. I hope something can be arranged where he can promote veganism in a positive way to balance the scales.

As for Natalia's flatulence gimmick.... goodness. This goes to the top of the list of every daft gimmick I can think of.

Daniel Bryan used his veganism for heat. I'm not happy that they're using an admirable quality as something to piss people off with. I didn't like the making light of the suffering of animals, nor the 'we want bacon' chant it elicited.

Soon to be hall of famer Mike Tyson is also a vegan. I hope something can be arranged where he can promote veganism in a positive way to balance the scales.

Come off it, mate. If you're bothered about things like this then you deserve a medal for sticking by wrestling after some of the angles we've seen over the years.

• Paid Members

He's got a point. If WWE starts pushing it like only spenks are vegans (which they wouldnt be far wrong, in fairness), the people who give him the award might not be to pleased. Like the time the Gay Rights people gave WWE all that free publicity for doing a gay wedding storyline and then threw a big gay fit when 3 Minute Warning kicked the shit out of the two homosexual characters.

WWE always hilariously pisses off anyone who thinks they are taking the moral highground.

• Paid Members

It doesn't really bother me (and I don't eat meat), after all it's wrestling. It's essentially Bryan doing Punk's "I'm better than you" gimmick, but instead of being preachy about drugs he's doing it with his veganism. Personally, I think it's a good idea, most people think vegans are knobs anyway and hate PETA.

He's got a point. If WWE starts pushing it like only spenks are vegans (which they wouldnt be far wrong, in fairness), the people who give him the award might not be to pleased. Like the time the Gay Rights people gave WWE all that free publicity for doing a gay wedding storyline and then threw a big gay fit when 3 Minute Warning kicked the shit out of the two homosexual characters.

They threw a fit because after all the publicity and promotion when they finally got to the wedding Billy & Chuck were all "Fags?? Us??? NO WAY!!!" rather than because 3MW beat them up.

Can anyone name a vegan who isn't a total bell-end? It'd have to be a celebrity one, since every real-life vegan is definitely a knob.

They could've easily enough had qualifiers for the Elimination Chamber on Raw. Cena, Kane, Swagger are more than viable opponents. Ryder and Brodus, if the writing was altered (Regal could cause Brodus a count-out, and if Ryder didn't have a broken, herniated back). They've often used scrubs in the qualifiers too, Santino and Otunga would fit the bill. And Ziggler could've had the "beat Punk tonight to qualify" deal.

Anyway, SmackDown. Teddy Long completely fucked up the explanation of the Elimination Chamber rules, unless the version I watched had an odd edit. And Booker's attempt at justification for his Rumble loss started with "I went into that thing cold!" and ended the same run-on rant with "I went into that thing prepared!"

Orton vs Barrett was a weird match. It got a bit like Orton vs Otunga, but with more intent because Barrett had done him harm. So like Austin vs Rikishi. Except Orton only had about three weeks off, so their whole issue has been quite flat. Wasteful destruction of Barrett, I think. I was expecting McIntyre to come and interfere in that match. WWE has definitely not figured out how to raise other people to Cena and Orton's level whilst still protecting them.

Bryan, Big Show and Henry were great again. I missed anything mentioning Khali being in the Chamber match. Cole on commentary later on mentioned Teddy telling Henry he was out of the Chamber, but I don't think that dialogue was in my version either. I might have just not been paying attention.

Cody vs Sheamus was a nice little match, both of them are definitely on the rise.

The only vegans I know are Goldfinger, and they had a pop at a mate of mine on the steps of the Southampton Guildhall for drinking a milkshake or something along those lines. But the drummer was gracious enough to apologise and take photos so...

Daniel Bryan has been great, I don't mind the vegan thing but pretty sure they could it without.

• Paid Members

The D Bryan/Big Show segment was tremendous. Bryan being a bigger nob than Michael Cole at the start was great and I thought the preachy stuff about veganism was done well. Show is great in his current character, gentle giant who has temper, it's very hard not to like him. D Bryan hugging AJ, then smirking back at Big Show gets the five stars from me.

Archived