ICW banned from MyChannel and now on iPPV

MarkDallas

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't really comment on the Jester match as I missed much of it, but the title match is bloody amazing.

Thought the two matches this week were fun without being anything special. L'ambrini looked VERY good considering it was her first ever match. The main highlight was the promo with Lightning and Lionheart though.

Thought the two matches this week were fun without being anything special. L'ambrini looked VERY good considering it was her first ever match. The main highlight was the promo with Lightning and Lionheart though.

Am really enjoying ICW. If indeed that was Lambrini's first ever match then the girl was very good indeed.

Is the whole of the Square Go Rumble gonna be shown?

I watched it for the first time and overall was very impressed. Some thoughts and observations:

The initial shot of a red-hot crowd going mental was the perfect way to open the show. It immediately made the product feel hot and reminded me, in a good way, of the old 1990s ECW crowds. The crowd were hot throughout and it made you, the viewer, want to be there live and be a part of it, which every wrestling TV or DVD release should do.

The wrestling itself ranged from very good to passable. I don't know much about the guys in the first match, how long they've been wrestling for, but the mixed tag was a fun match. The characters of the individuals were established very quickly, so as a first time viewer, I knew what they were all about. My only criticism of the wrestling was that the flashy, flippy moves didn't suit the heels' characters, to me all six of them should have been brawlers, or if they do do a flashy move, then they should show off about it and wind up the crowd, just like a chavvy kid would do a backflip off a wall and then look around for his mates' approval and comments, that sort of thing.

The main event with Lionheart and Red Lightning was a bit short, especially considering how long the mixed tag went. I thought that Red Lightning's offence looked a little weak considering it was meant to be a big grudge match. Lionheart's selling was top notch here though. Again, I just felt that, as a heated grudge match, they should have just brawled, as they did for a portion of the match. When you're doing leapfrogs and whipping guys into the ropes, it just doesn't feel like a heated feud to me. Rather than having a set list of moves, wrestlers should adapt their moveset to the match. Take Chris Benoit for example - he was THE best technical wrestler you could ever ask to see, but when he had a heated personal feud with Kevin Sullivan in WCW, he was smacking him in the face on the outside or ramming his head into a wall, and was saving the hammerlocks and the drop toe holds for a 'normal' match with a regular opponent.

The commentators were very enthusiastic and got the matches, the crowd and the event overall across well on TV. My only complaints would be that they didn't seem to know when to talk and when to remain quiet. In the first match, when one of the heels was talking, the commentators were talking over him, meaning that I couldn't really hear either of them as my brain didn't know what to pay attention to. And then, in the main event, when Lionheart first came out and took the mic, then paused for a long while to convey the emotion/tension of the situation, the commentators remained silent, essentially leaving a minute or so of dead air. THAT'S when they should be talking, putting over how tense Lionheart looks. The other thing was that the commentators first said that the Lionheart-Red Lightning match was a heated brawl with personal rivalry involved and then a few minutes later, totally contradicted themselves by saying that the crowd didn't really know who to cheer but were enjoying a great wrestling match (i.e. not a brawl/fight any longer). But as I said, overall, I thought the commentators did a very good job of putting over the action and helping the casual viewer to understand the background of storylines and to establish the characters. The casual viewer, to me, is who you should aim your TV output at, as the hardcore dedicated ICW fan will watch regardless, you want to use your TV to hook in more fans and turn those casual fans into committed fans.

My one final constructive criticism was that I felt there was WAY too much talking. It took 15 mins and an ad break before the first match began. How many people flicking channels would have lost patience and given up by then? Plus, the microphones in a place like that are never going to be of a good enough quality for TV, and while some people knew how to project the voice, hold the mic right and be clear, other people clearly didn't and you couldn't really make a word out of what they were saying. Live, I'm sure it's absolutely fine, but I would suggest editing down a lot of the talking for the TV broadcast. It's great to get the crowd into it, but not so good for the TV viewer.

All in all though, I'd give ICW a thumbs up. It's absolutely streets ahead of that UKW rubbish that was put on the channel before. The commentators don't sound like they're locked inside a portaloo and the cameramen don't have Parkinson's so it's all good from that perspective. I wish ICW continued success and hold onto and grow that crowd, they're the best asset your company will ever have.

Cheers Dean

ICW Episode 6 - This Friday night at 1am on Sky 219!

Replay of episode 5 on Thursday night at 1am(01.00am Friday morning) and BRAND NEW EPISODE this Friday Night at 1am(01.00am Saturday morning) on Sky 219!

Massive episode this week as we have a rematch between Jack Jester and Mikey Whiplash and we finally get to see James Scott and B.T Gunn go one on one for the ICW Heavyweight Championship!

430551_360136507339920_100000307227346_1307530_803653154_n.jpg

*Also says on Sky guide that episode 4 will be replay this Tuesday night at 1am(01.00am Wednesday Morning) if you missed that epic GLASGOW STREET FIGHT!

Archived