WWE Raw Discussion Thread - 30/01/12

stumobir

Up until the last bit of the show, I was going to come on here and moan about how shit the show was. Because it was, CM Punk was cringey doing the "Na na na na" song that wasn't funny in 2003, the match with Bryan was boring, and Orton Vs Ziggler wasn't anywhere near as good as their previous matches because that boring twat Wade Barrett kept on popping up every 5 seconds.

But the Cena and Kane fight was wonderful, and the crowd were giving Cena a positive and massive babyface reaction. He deserved it as well, that's the Cena that I really like. Not the one that tells shit jokes, I like this John Cena that gives emotional responses to happenings rather than smiling and smirking. He's great at the minute. The Johnny L. and Triple H segment was brilliant before the Deadman even showed up as well, I was expecting Hunter to introduce Mick Foley as John's partner. That would have been enough for me. But The Undertaker! I had no clue he would be back so soon (with hairplugs that have hopefully taken care of the hairline issue). Now's where the real business starts. The Elimination Chamber match that is set sounds alright, bit I hope that R Truth being in it doesn't turn it into a comedy affair. I too am happy for Kofi Kingston being in it, he won't win, but he is a keeper.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The end was odd. Made even worse because I watched this morning through a series of Youtube links and on the last part, the screen cap on the vid was Taker in the ring. Arseholes.

Anyway, I think they'll follow it up with Triple H saying he's just been told he can go back to running Raw so he doesn't want to get involved in any personal situations. Having Taker chase Trips for the match would be a nice twist, simply because its almost always Taker being chased for the match at Mania. I'd still rather have Taker NOT face Triple H but if it does happen, It'll still be good given last years match.

The Jericho thing was weird, almost like they just decided last minute to actually turn him heel and attack Punk in a panic. He is in the EC match also so in that way it makes sense, taking out the Champion before hand etc etc.

• Paid Members

I haven't watched it properly yet, just flicked through this morning. I did see the whole of the end angle though and thought it was superb. Everyone thought it was going to be the same as last year, but there was a nice avoidance by Trips. Had he looked at the sign, he'd have acknowleged the challenge. Had he responded to Taker's cut-throat taunt with a crotch chop, he'd have accepted the challenge. Instead he did neither, simply patting him on the shoulder and walking away, which says 'not this year, big guy'.

It's going to be very interesting leading up. Taker has always been the hunted at Mania in recent years, with everyone wanting to lay claim of ending the streak. Triple H came closer than anyone last year, leaving Taker being carried to the back and spending a year injured. He desperately wants to rectify this and erase the image everyone has of him appearing more mortal than ever, so he feels he must prove himself by beating Trips. It's like the reverse to the Taker/HBK angle and its very interesting booking imo. Triple H on the other hand, especially after his 'putting personal feelings first' speech to Johnny knows he can't entertain Taker's challenge.

• Paid Members

Raw was back on form. The end segment was brilliant, Triple H and Ace were fantastic ("I gave myself a lot of fives"), if a little routine. I was hoping for a swerve or Vince to come out, anything to make next week more interesting. Then 'Taker and his extensions/wig/hair plugs make their way to the ring. 'Taker bores me, but at least he is one of the few people that gets a proper reaction from the crowd. I loved how they played off last years kick-off angle. This time 'Taker interrupting Triple H and challenging him, only this time Triple H can't let "personal matters" take precedence over professional ones. The patronising hand on the shoulder was fan-fucking-tastic, it not only humanised 'Taker (or even made him out to be fragile and harmless) but it was like Triple H saying "go home, old man. You had your run". Cut back to 'Taker doing his puppy eyes and looking a little dejected. Just so much from so little. I hope Triple H beats 'Taker into retirement though.

The opening segment was hit and miss. What it did drive home is that Daniel Bryan is a more consistent talker than CM Punk. Their match was as good as expected and was the most competitive Bryan has looked in ages. They need to sort Cole out though, one minute he is telling the viewers both men are shite, then the next he's saying how great they both are.

"I keep them locked in the attic to be honest with you, John". Hahahaha, Regal steals it again.

I haven't watched it properly yet, just flicked through this morning. I did see the whole of the end angle though and thought it was superb. Everyone thought it was going to be the same as last year, but there was a nice avoidance by Trips. Had he looked at the sign, he'd have acknowleged the challenge. Had he responded to Taker's cut-throat taunt with a crotch chop, he'd have accepted the challenge. Instead he did neither, simply patting him on the shoulder and walking away, which says 'not this year, big guy'.

It's going to be very interesting leading up. Taker has always been the hunted at Mania in recent years, with everyone wanting to lay claim of ending the streak. Triple H came closer than anyone last year, leaving Taker being carried to the back and spending a year injured. He desperately wants to rectify this and erase the image everyone has of him appearing more mortal than ever, so he feels he must prove himself by beating Trips. It's like the reverse to the Taker/HBK angle and its very interesting booking imo. Triple H on the other hand, especially after his 'putting personal feelings first' speech to Johnny knows he can't entertain Taker's challenge.

Yes this. I loved it. Thought it was absolutely superb, and they changed it up ffrom last year. Cracking. Can't wait to see how it plays out and it makes his Streak even more in jeopardy because he is desperate.

Decent enough Raw, Bryan vs Punk was good "Yes, yes, yes!" is fantastic. His expression when he was announced as the winner was gold. Just embrace him for fucks sake Michael Cole and he can be a full on heel. and Kofi vs Miz was decent too. Is Kofi maybe an outside bet to win the supposed MITB mania match. Anyone else think Orton buried Dolph a bit? Ziggler got hardly any offence in and I've noticed that when these two have wrestled before...

Brodus reaction was a bit quiet wasnt it? Nice to see Tyler Reks on Raw, AND hes got the most offence so far, but they need to get Brodus involved in something quickly or else I'll be losing interest.

• Paid Members
Regarding the Undertaker's streak, most people think he will retire with it intact, but is Triple H really going lie down 3 times at Mania for him?

Not with that hair. If there was ever a time to pull a power play with the Undertaker, its now. Had a lovely jacket on, though.

I have a theory. Maybe his hair isnt growing at the rate he'd hoped, so he's wearing a wig until, say, late March when its at a decent length so he can put hair extentions in?

Regarding the Undertaker's streak, most people think he will retire with it intact, but is Triple H really going lie down 3 times at Mania for him?

It's an interesting question. I'm a massive fan of The Undertaker and I don't want the streak to end.

Not with that hair. If there was ever a time to pull a power play with the Undertaker, its now. Had a lovely jacket on, though.

I have a theory. Maybe his hair isnt growing at the rate he'd hoped, so he's wearing a wig until, say, late March when its at a decent length so he can put hair extentions in?

The Undertaker's hair looked bad. If The Undertaker's hair wasn't the look like we know it when he returned, I thought it might look like it did at WrestleMania XX.

My guess is Undie shaved his head thinking his hair would grow at the rate it did when he was a nipper, only to realise that father time is a cruel bastard and everything slows down with each passing year. There was no way that was his own thatch.

Other than that, I bloody loved this show. Loved it. Like, really fucking loved it.

First of all, the announcers gave a masterclass in covering for someones incompetence at the top of the show. CM Punk came out and did his schtick, which is just about acceptable because of the catastrophic twat he's doing it too, and then Daniel Bryan popped out and showed the world that he's actually a pretty decent turn in the charisma stakes, and convinced me to give Smackdown another chance. He looked a badass telling Punk to keep making jokes and see what happens.

Then the match was superb, and showed just how Daniel Bryan (and Punk) should be used. I mean, they beat the living tits out of each other and both came away looking like killers.

The other week, after the reveal, I argued (apparently against the consensus) that Jericho's re-debut was shit. I stand by it. I also propose that him crying without tears the next week, was even worst. Worst still, despite pushing a 'silent' angle, the week after that he came out for a 6 man tag audibly shouting and whooping from the apron. Then, after a 'Highlight Reel' where they linked the 'end of the world' stuff back in, they kind of threw the whole thing under the bus at the Royal Rumble with no angle, and having him lose. Worst than the substantive problems the angle has suffered, i'd now argue that they had no plan whatsoever, and only brought Jericho back when they did so they didn't have to have Jericho and Taker return in the same weekend. I think they had a bunch of cool videos, with no idea of how to make the tie-in, and then to build intrigue tried a silent thing with no real concept of what it meant or where they were going with it. The Rumble solidified the lack of direction, by just making Jericho another guy.

Hopefully, last night meant we could sweep the whole mucky affair under the carpet and just move on with Jericho as the quasi-'Legend' questioning the boasts of the young pretender to the crown.

After knocking it out of the park with Daniel Bryan's booking, they showed they still know (or, alternatively, know for the first time) how to book Cena. That is how you make the guy look like a badass, but a supportable one, without alienating fans with goofiness. I'm not sure the camera was supposed to catch him calling Kane a 'little bastard', though.

I really enjoyed the main event segment too, the way they built the subtext with the 'personal message' dialogue, and then played off last years segment to perfect effect. The condescending hand on the shoulder was my favourite thing on the whole show. Excellent.

Five snow flakes.

Ace and Regal talking kids just after the opening segments is one of the most brilliant bits of split-second silliness they've ever done. Fabulous work.

Okay show overall, I think I had low expectations after the Rumble so this was all good. Quite like the potentially different build to Taker/HHH too. Taker's Mania matches build-ups from WM24 onwards really do have a "bigger than the whole promotion" glow around them. There's a magic there, for sure.

I was so surprised to see Taker back! But i dont see why he challenged HHH. I was thinking before watching Raw that i'd like Sheamusto use his Rumble win to challenge Taker instead of the champs. Its gotten to the point where the streak is worth SO much more than the titles. I'd love to see Taker vs Sheamus at mania.

I loved Punk vs Bryan, Ziggler vs Orton was great (i also enjoyed the old school split screen with Barrett), Miz vs Kofi was ok as well but itsucked there was no Kharma.

Brilliant Raw. Cena looked amazing for the first time in weeks I thought, hardly any boo's either which is refreshing. Punk and Bryan had a fantastic match, which I'm surprised got as much time as it did. Great to see Taker back, loved that angle and all but I couldn't keep my eyes off Takers obvious hair extensions. I hope them badboys grow quicker, short-hair Taker is well weird.

Next week will be must watch again, well done WWE. Got to love Wrestlemania season :)

• Paid Members

I think its fairly obvious why he's challenging Triple H. Triple H never looked it trouble during the whole bout last year, and Undertaker was beaten so bad he had to pull a victory out of the jaws of defeat and he was so badly hammered by Triple H he got carried out on a stretcher and hasnt been seen since. Undertaker has as much to prove as Triple H. In the Undertakers eyes, not walking out of Mania could be seen as a psychological blow for him. I can see Triple H playing mind games with the Undertaker until he agrees to the match on HHH's terms. Maybe with Michaels as referee and his career on the line.

Triple H is the COO and a company head. He's moved on with his life since last year. He might have cared last year, but HHH doesnt care now. He's probably over it (or at least he wants people to think he's over it, until he gets what he wants from Taker). The Undertaker's been sitting in that cabin mulling over the injuries he suffered at the hands of Triple H, wondering if he has it in him. Thats where I see it going.

Although I would have preferred to have seen Undertaker and Triple H going into separate matches at Wrestlemania, I think their angle last night was pretty self-explanatory. For the past few years it has mainly been wrestlers calling the Undertaker out and challenging him for a match at Wrestlemania, more so in the past three years when it has involved Shawn and Hunter.

The last time we saw Undertaker was when he was stretchered out of the arena after his match with Triple H at 'Mania last year. Undertaker gave it everything he had and if it wasn't for a last-ditch Hell's Gate, he would have lost his streak. Triple H then told 'Taker that when he returned he would be waiting.

Surely by The Undertaker coming out and challenging Hunter first, it is pure mind-games with the role's being reversed. In the context of the story-line Triple H was having a fun return and didn't for one minute expect Undertaker to make his return. Now we're left questioning whether Hunter will accept.

After that, I'm pretty sure that we're going to see a heel Triple H at this year's big one.

Archived