Moves that should be brought back

Wendell Cooley

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The heart punch. So simple and effective if the commentator knows how to sell it. I loved it when big buggers like Spivey and Mean Mark used it to Murderise jobbers.

"Made famous by the late great Wilbur Snyder", don't see enough of the abdominal stretch these days. Always great for outside interference with the leverage from the rope, or in singles, "He's using the rope,but the ref doesn't see it. Also miss how Scott Hall used to ruffle their hair, slap them in the face and dump them after he got tired of the stretch. Monsoon was great but i never heard him put the stretch over on commentary for him it was never applied correctly. He hasn't got that hold applied properly, he hasn't got the leverage" legend.

Theres so many moves that arent used anymore that used to be quite effective. Russian Leg Sweeps, Abdominal Strecthes, Boston Crabs, Camel Clutches, Pile Drivers (the basic fall back ones, nothing dangerous), Vertical Suplexes amongst others just seemed to have slipped out of WWE matches. Even wrestlers just mixing it up in PPV matches and using a few different moves seems to be rare these days.

Theres so many moves that arent used anymore that used to be quite effective. Russian Leg Sweeps, Abdominal Strecthes, Boston Crabs, Camel Clutches, Pile Drivers (the basic fall back ones, nothing dangerous), Vertical Suplexes amongst others just seemed to have slipped out of WWE matches. Even wrestlers just mixing it up in PPV matches and using a few different moves seems to be rare these days.

I'm not sure if it's the indies in general, but all the moves mentioned so far are used reguarly in PWG.

Who would you give it to in this current climate?

It's a very simplistic move and one that would struggle to fit in these days I think unless given to the right guy.

It would have to be a heel. Mark Henry, possibly. You'd really need JR to get it over, though. It maybe wouldn't work these days but I'd like to see them try. Umanga managed to get a thumb to the neck over so it's not outside the realms of possibility.

I'd be surprised if a fortnight ever passes with nobody in WWE doing a Russian Leg Sweep. I'm fairly sure it's one of Kofi Kingston's routine moves, and Morrison used to use it as well. Probably loads of others. Vertical suplex is still a standard move. Jericho's finisher is a Boston crab. Jinder Mahal uses the camel clutch.

Not a move, but something I'd like to see again is trash talking during matches. I have a fond memory of Michael Hayes in a rare squash match for WCW informing a jobber, "First I'm gonna clothesline ya, then I'm gonna DDT ya, then I'm gonna pin ya!" he then did just that and it was brilliant.

• Paid Members

The Atomic Drop seems to be the most obvious omission from today's WWE. You saw them all the time in the eighties and nineties. It was always a bit of a hokey-looking move, but it's not as if WWE concern themselves with putting over a super-realistic style is it? It's a great move for a heel to sell for to feed into another during a babyface comeback.

• Paid Members
The other day, I was thinking how little we see the sleeper hold these days. Especially with the referee raising the arm three times, only for the babyface to beat third and final drop of the arm. It was a staple of wrestling in the 80s/90s.

Dolph uses it a lot

Archived