Closed

Dreamers of Dreams

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you had much luck yet mate?

I know Fye said to give him a shout regarding NEWS. If you haven't, i would strongly suggest getting in touch, as they generally feature a lot of the better north east wrestlers.

Also, if the wrestling doc doesn't go to plan, you could make a mini doc on skateboards, i'm canny sure he owns a skate store as well as a wrestling company, jammy git.

That's another north east promoter you're thinking of but I won't go into more info in case that person wouldn't want me to. He posts on here so may chip in himself

What do you hope your film to accomplish that the same segments in Beyond the Mat didn't? If its your goal to track wrestlers trying to make it big, its been done many times before and its always the same story. In my opinion it would be a predictable story now. Its also been done on the highest level where Vince and other WWE management were watching the tryout - do you honestly think you'll be topping that? Don't forget that was also a big budget production - a million miles away from the other short doc "Keith" also shown in this thread.

I'm not picking on you, I'm just genuinely interested to learn of your goals and expectations here Barton.

I am not trying to top anything else. It's an artistic film about British Wrestling. If you think that this subject has been covered many times before in documentary form, please provide me with some links. The comparison to Beyond the Mat was very loose. Yes it's about people living/chasing a dream but there will be very little focus on WWE, only perhaps from those who we interview who are waiting on a trial at the moment, other than that I am not really interested in mentioning it. Much like the 'Keith' doc, the film will show the people behind the characters.

And for the record it will include wrestlers from around the UK, various promotions, promoters, fans, refs, training sessions/seminars, magazine journalists and many more...

I want to be able to show it to someone who has never seen British wrestling before and say that this is what the sport in our country and it's people are all about.

But taking all the sugar, spice and bells and whistles out of the equation; can you please tell me in a down to earth, non full of bull shit and sentimental crap way what the difference between a British, Canadian, Australian, American or Swedish indy wrestling federation is? Its going to be the same bloody story; but perhaps with more tea drinking if filmed here. I just find it odd you are intent on showing "the people behind the characters" when you don't have any people / characters lined up and you seemingly have no contacts with such people hence asking for them here. And you plan on starting in a couple of months?

What's the end goal for you here? Again what are you expecting your film to show us? We all know what their "dream" is going to be - non wrestling fans are smart enough to know in this day and age. We all know what they go through, how little the odds are blah blah blah. Its boring in 2012.

Are you filming the professionally or is it going to be a cheap job? Do you have broadcasters or distributors already interested and are they backing this? If not where do you expect this to go? How are you marketing this etc etc

Again, not picking on you, but your idea seems boring and uninspired in this day and age; tiresomely predictable even:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ralGhG9Ig

I'd imagine every documentary has been done before, to be completely fair. That one in the last of your links looks very good, btw - the guy goes to training and takes some mighty chops to the chest!

The best doc on "chasing your drea," for UK wrestling has to be that 3 part thing on Robbie Brookside. Kind of heartbreaking but very good.

What do you hope your film to accomplish that the same segments in Beyond the Mat didn't? If its your goal to track wrestlers trying to make it big, its been done many times before and its always the same story. In my opinion it would be a predictable story now. Its also been done on the highest level where Vince and other WWE management were watching the tryout - do you honestly think you'll be topping that? Don't forget that was also a big budget production - a million miles away from the other short doc "Keith" also shown in this thread.

I'm not picking on you, I'm just genuinely interested to learn of your goals and expectations here Barton.

I am not trying to top anything else. It's an artistic film about British Wrestling. If you think that this subject has been covered many times before in documentary form, please provide me with some links. The comparison to Beyond the Mat was very loose. Yes it's about people living/chasing a dream but there will be very little focus on WWE, only perhaps from those who we interview who are waiting on a trial at the moment, other than that I am not really interested in mentioning it. Much like the 'Keith' doc, the film will show the people behind the characters.

And for the record it will include wrestlers from around the UK, various promotions, promoters, fans, refs, training sessions/seminars, magazine journalists and many more...

I want to be able to show it to someone who has never seen British wrestling before and say that this is what the sport in our country and it's people are all about.

But taking all the sugar, spice and bells and whistles out of the equation; can you please tell me in a down to earth, non full of bull shit and sentimental crap way what the difference between a British, Canadian, Australian, American or Swedish indy wrestling federation is? Its going to be the same bloody story; but perhaps with more tea drinking if filmed here. I just find it odd you are intent on showing "the people behind the characters" when you don't have any people / characters lined up and you seemingly have no contacts with such people hence asking for them here. And you plan on starting in a couple of months?

What's the end goal for you here? Again what are you expecting your film to show us? We all know what their "dream" is going to be - non wrestling fans are smart enough to know in this day and age. We all know what they go through, how little the odds are blah blah blah. Its boring in 2012.

Are you filming the professionally or is it going to be a cheap job? Do you have broadcasters or distributors already interested and are they backing this? If not where do you expect this to go? How are you marketing this etc etc

Again, not picking on you, but your idea seems boring and uninspired in this day and age; tiresomely predictable even:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ralGhG9Ig

Why are you so bothered? Why are you questioning everything? If you are so bored and uninspired by the idea then why are you getting so bent out of shape about it?

We are not hurting anyone by producing it, it's our time, our money, not yours. We are making it as an expression of creativity, a film that simply paints a portrait of British wrestling in 2012.

We don't have to justify it any further, especially not to some guy with 1001 questions over an internet forum.

When it's finished, you don't have to watch it, we won't take offence if you don't.

As posted now on page 1:

Due to an overwhelming response, we no longer feel it necessary to advertise for participation in this UK wrestling documentary. Thank you to everyone who has shown an interest. We look forward to getting this project under way very soon.

• Moderators
Due to an overwhelming response, we no longer feel it necessary to advertise for participation in this UK wrestling documentary. Thank you to everyone who has shown an interest. We look forward to getting this project under way very soon.

You will go far in this business.

I do love these threads, like people coming on here to look for writers for their fanzines and the like, or some kid who's decided to start a wrestling federation. I think it says as much about the rest of us as them, but it never takes long before the jaded, world-weary posters here drain all passion and enthusiasm from the OP, as their ill-thought out hopes and dreams come crashing down around them, and our hollow laughter rings long in their ears.

• Moderators
I do love these threads, like people coming on here to look for writers for their fanzines and the like, or some kid who's decided to start a wrestling federation. I think it says as much about the rest of us as them, but it never takes long before the jaded, world-weary posters here drain all passion and enthusiasm from the OP, as their ill-thought out hopes and dreams come crashing down around them, and our hollow laughter rings long in their ears.

It's the best way. If I didn't spend my time bitterly trying to crush hopes and dreams I'd have to get a new hobby.

Archived