Worse Feud of the Year - Trips vs Nash

Worse Promotion of the Year - TNA

Best Booker - Jado and Gedo (New Japan)

Promoter of the Year - Dana White

Best Gimmick - CM Punk

Worse Gimmick - Michael Cole

Best Book - Jericho, Undisputed

Best DVD - Shawn vs Bret

It must kill Meltzer to see so many WWE feuds/matches/wrestlers put in such a positive light in these awards.

Also, what's the difference between Best Wrestler and Most Outstanding Wrestler? And how is the latter one Davey Richards if he's not the best, most charismatic, most technical or any of the others?

• Paid Members

Meltzer said this in that issue:

The thing is, when it comes to technical wrestling, even today, there are a lot of people in Japan at the level of anyone in the U.S., just because it's more part of their style. But they don't stand out as much. When you see Richards in ROH, he stands out. On a New Japan show, he's good, but he's never close to the best guy on the show.

BEST IN THE WORLD! MMA! PURE SPORTS BUILD!~!~!

• Paid Members
Also, what's the difference between Best Wrestler and Most Outstanding Wrestler? And how is the latter one Davey Richards if he's not the best, most charismatic, most technical or any of the others?

Best Wrestler is overall I assume. The likes of Cena, Jericho and Mistico have won it in the past, who aren't the most consistant all year round, in terms of what the Observer readers would consider workrate, but ticked far more boxes than the usual winner of the Outstanding Wrestler Award in terms of interviews and box office gross. For example Bryan Danielson always used to win the Outstanding Wrestler Award because of the amount of matches he'd have where they'd be critically loved. Where as a big name star usually wins the Wrestler of the Year Award.

Saying that, I think its canny daft whatever logic you try and search for out of it.

• Paid Members
It must kill Meltzer to see so many WWE feuds/matches/wrestlers put in such a positive light in these awards.

The criteria:

1. LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD - This is open to pro wrestlers, for a combination of everything, being both important and influential this year in a positive manner from a business perspective, combining both box office impact as well as strong match quality in worked matches.

2. MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER: This is also for a combination of fighting inside the ring and importance outside in a positive manner from a business perspective as well.

3. MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER: This is based on working ability in the ring only. Simply, the best workers in the world on a consistent basis over the past year. Drawing power, charisma and push shouldn't be considered.

4. MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER: This should be based on in-ring ability and wins against the top level of competition during the calender year.

5. BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW - Based on drawing big houses (or for that matter selling tickets to small houses as the case may be), buy rates and/or television ratings. Rating work shouldn't even be considered.

6. FEUD OF THE YEAR - This should be based on a combination of having a compelling storyline along with having great matches that should strengthen the box office.

7. TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR - For the best working and most valuable tag team during the previous year.

8. MOST IMPROVED - This is based on making the biggest strides in ring work during the previous year. This should not be for someone who was already good, but was given a bigger push.

9. BEST ON INTERVIEWS - Who has given the best interviews on a consistent basis over the past year? Reputation from previous years shouldn't be taken into consideration. It should be based on work over the course of the year as opposed to one or two memorable interviews.

10. MOST CHARISMATIC - What person had to do the least to get the most out of it? Who do crowds naturally react to emotionally even before the person does anything?

11. BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER - This is for having the ability to use high level technical wrestling moves within the context of building a great worked pro wrestling match.

12. BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD - This is for the wrestler who uses brawling tactics to put together the best matches during the previous year. It's not for a guy who does brawling matches that aren't any good.

13. BEST FLYING WRESTLER - This is for the wrestler who does the most innovative and solidly executed flying maneuvers within the context of putting together great wrestling matches. This is not for simply the hottest daredevil moves, which sometimes hit and sometimes miss.

14. MOST OVERRATED - The wrestler who gets the biggest push, despite lacking ring ability or charisma.

15. MOST UNDERRATED - The wrestler with the most ability, who, for whatever reason, doesn't get a push commensurate with their ability. This should be based on this past year, and not a business reputation earned in prior years.

16. PROMOTION OF THE YEAR - Should be based on which group put together the best live and television product on a consistent basis, and secondarily, the ability to sell that product at a high level. This means box office and marketing combined with product quality. Theoretically, the top pick should be a company at or near the top on both categories.

17. BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW - Weekly television shows are the only ones eligible, not monthly shows, specials or individual episodes of a specific program. This is for the best consistent program.

18. PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR

19. MMA MATCH OF THE YEAR

20. ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - This is based on ring performance, not how someone is pushed or necessarily even long-term star potential. By the standards of the category, a rookie is someone who hasn't had a regular job with a full-time wrestling company before September 1, 2010.

21. BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER - For the best performer on a television show who isn't a traditional wrestler, whether they be a management figure, a woman who doesn't wrestle, or a traditional manager.

22. BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER

23. WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER

24. BEST MAJOR SHOW - This should be a major show, as opposed to a TV taping or house show, although TV specials like Saturday Night's Main Event or Ultimate Fight Night are eligible.

• Paid Members

I'm sure he re-wrote those, as 'Fatty Steen', who I'm presuming is Kevin Steen, is listed as winner of best brawler.

Add me to the confused group of people regarding the best wrestler and most outstanding wrestler. What is the difference?

I haven't seen any of Tanahashi's matches, but he is clearly loved by Finn and Meltz, and he does have a very good look. Doesn't have the generic 'puro guy' look that a lot of the wrestlers over there have- ripped physique and he's quite the looker I guess.

Is Dolph really "Most Improved" though, in my opinion he's been awesome ever since he started on Smackdown. He has obviously upped his game to where he can hang with the very best of WWE, but "Most Improved" sounds like a special needs award though for someone who is shite and has improved slightly to the point of being watchable. Am I wrong?

Is Dolph really "Most Improved" though, in my opinion he's been awesome ever since he started on Smackdown. He has obviously upped his game to where he can hang with the very best of WWE, but "Most Improved" sounds like a special needs award though for someone who is shite and has improved slightly to the point of being watchable. Am I wrong?

I thought he was shite and has became one of my favourites. I'd say he deserves most improved. All about opinions of course.

I thought he was shite and has became one of my favourites. I'd say he deserves most improved. All about opinions of course.

I dunno about "shite" but I thought he was a bland, typical WWE "smug heel" character, and this wasn't helped by the 4 thousand pointless matches with Kofi and the like in the super-dull Smackdown midcard over the last few years.

Over the last year he's become one of my favourite WWE guys to keep an eye on. His character started coming through on Ryder's web show and it then started bleeding over to his TV stuff. He's upped his game in-ring too. He was always athletic, but he's added character now. The only thing missing for me is a great finisher. The sleeper is ok as a backup move, but the Zig-Zag is fucking rubbish.

He'll be a big star and I'm looking forward to it.

• Paid Members
He's like Satoshi Kojima. He always had a great look

Absolutely, always had a soft spot for Kojima- probably due to the awesome look and he seemed more charismatic (in a 'Western' wrestling way) than most over there. When he hit that corner forearm smash, he'd chant something straight after, and the normally silent (save the odd 'ooohhh' and 'aaahhhh') Japanese crowd would join in. You'd expect that in the West, not so much Japan.

As for his fucking awesome look- you had the impeccable hair, the superb coat for his entrance, the unique orange and white attire and the Robbie Fowler plaster. Him, Chono and Tenzan were ridiculously cool.

Kojima2.jpg

Archived