Outside bets who'd be a star

PowerButchi

• Moderators

I was thinking earlier on about Cliff Compton. Not bumming him, but I seriously believe he could get over in the WWE. Obviously he'd have to be toned down to shit (and then he wouldn't get over and put ovary on my face) but he has it all...

Leather Jacket - CHECK

Beard - CHECK

Charisma - CHECK

Size - CHECK

Ability - CHECK

Super cool - CHECK

Listen to him on AOW and he makes CM Punk and Colt Cabana sound like boring losers. Obviously for WWE to let Cliff be Cliff they'd have to fuck off PG, and TV14 probably as well so it'd be mongworthy, but he's a great starworthy character.

So is there anyone out of the US mainstream system who you'd think could have potential to draw money? Why as well. Don't just put TJ Perkins and nothing else.

I'd have to say definitely not PAC - that man is a charisma black hole. Great worker however.

It's a tough one really, I don't really see many people on the indies or on the britWRES circuit that ticks all those boxes.

Compton vs. Masters would be a main even in any arena in the country however.

Does it count if they are already on the WWE Roster? Because when ever I see Sheamus, I see dollar signs. He has the look, the body, the move set, the personality, and the natural likability to be a huge babyface star. He looks like a cool action hero cartoon, and he should be marketed as such. I'm don't think I'm saying he's the next John Cena, but he could definatly achieve greater things than he has done so far.

But when you say "out of" I could be mistaking it's meaning for inside, rather than out side of, in which case I apologize but stand by my point about Sheamus anyway.

Edit: I guess I did make the mistake :(

• Moderators
Does it count if they are already on the WWE Roster?

So is there anyone out of the US mainstream system who you'd think could have potential to draw money?

So no, but you're spot on about Sheamus. I'd position him as No. 2 face on Raw behind Cena after the next draft. Great look, top in the ring, quality promos, media savvy, and is just really fucking likable. Same as Big Show, only he's ethnic as well. Irish man in America? Bring on the great white hype!

• Paid Members

It's a lazy example but Dean Ambrose has brilliant potential to really be an extremely successful evil midcarder. He's got a brilliant look for the role, brilliant promo skills and could really give the IC or US title scene a nice boost

I became slightly chuffed last night when out of nowhere Cliff started following me on Twitter.

Back on topic and i'm finding it really tough, i've not been into anything outside WWE for a while but i often keep my ear to ground and can't think of anyone. I've still a soft spot for Chris Hero but couldn't see him getting anywhere near the level of RoH darlings Punk and Bryan.

• Moderators

I'd be more likely to put my eggs in Antonio's basket than Chris Hero's to be honest. Hero has always ben average to me. He or Seth Rollins won't get far, but Antonio and Dean Ambrose have it all. According to DA MELTZ on the radio the other day, HHH or somesuch has actually said not to bother bringing Ambrose up until they have something proper for him. Not a gimmick for him, something real and sustainable. That's real faith in him.

Jimmy Rave. History has shown that when he's booked properly and to his strengths he can be a fantastic character. His ROH run with the Embassy in around 2005 was phenomenal. He was one of the few guys who stood out because of his character in a group where 90% of the focus was on the quality of matches people were having.

Ignore any thought of him in TNA, that would be the last thing anybody should be doing with Rave. He'd never be a bona fide main eventer but he'd certainly be a solid upper-carder.

I'd be more likely to put my eggs in Antonio's basket than Chris Hero's to be honest. Hero has always ben average to me. He or Seth Rollins won't get far, but Antonio and Dean Ambrose have it all. According to DA MELTZ on the radio the other day, HHH or somesuch has actually said not to bother bringing Ambrose up until they have something proper for him. Not a gimmick for him, something real and sustainable. That's real faith in him.

I am expecting big thinks from Messrs Ambrose and Cesaro when they debut. Herb did say that they don't want to just chuck the lads out on RAW one week, give them a stop start push then watch them become the next failure. I do hope this is true, but I am a pessimist when it comes to the lot from Stamford that I am going to just wait and see and not get too excited.

• Paid Members

I'd be interested in why you think Jimmy Rave? I've always seen him as absolutely dog shit. Even the ROH lot hate him. He had hair like Jesper Blomqvist, had the body of Jack Evans and was vanilla as fuck. One of the worst wrestlers I've ever seen, when you take into account his look, his ringstyle, his ring presence, his body and his interview skills.

• Paid Members

Jimmy Rave?! He was alright in Rock & Rave Infection, but I might have been swayed by Christy Hemme's outfits in that regard. But I see absolutely nothing in him. Plus, isn't he only a part time wrestler now and works helping depressed athletes or something like that?

I'd be interested in why you think Jimmy Rave? I've always seen him as absolutely dog shit. Even the ROH lot hate him. He had hair like Jesper Blomqvist, had the body of Jack Evans and was vanilla as fuck. One of the worst wrestlers I've ever seen, when you take into account his look, his ringstyle, his ring presence, his body and his interview skills.

Blomqvist! That's a name I've not heard in a long time. Anyway...

alexander wrote this about Rave in the OP of the ROH Discussion thread, which goes a part way in summing it up for me - "Here's what I like about Jimmy Rave- he's shit, and he knows it. So he uses that as part of his character, playing the guy who knows he's out of his depth (Which he really is) and needs to take short cuts to win. This means he's good. Did that make any sense?"

In theory it merely sounds like your average chicken-shit heel but the way he used to play his character was fantastic. If I'd only ever seen his TNA work I would never have believed that it was the same man that was such an over character in ROH. (WWE and ROH are worlds apart, but the foundations for a character are still one and the same.)

He could soon work on improving his body; he wouldn't have to be a Cena-sized athlete by any means. The style of his ring work goes along with his character superbly and I believe that the one thing he did have was a tremendous presence.

If you ever get to check out his match with Bryan Danielson from ROH then please do. Rave holds his own brilliantly and I am 95% certain that it would make you see something in him you'd never have expected.

• Paid Members

Triple H also said that about Seth Rollins too, so they clearly see something in him.

I'd love WWE to give the Briscoes a go. They'll need to spend some time in FCW first but they are great at their redneck gimmick.

Archived