"He should have been world champion"

King Pitcos

Rob Van Dam 2002 - As much as it was a great moment to see HBK win the elimination chamber and probably good for buisness as it spurted his comeback, his following feud with Triple H could have been much more had they inserted RVD into one triple threat match to take the title away from the feud. Triple H and HBK could have then had a very heated rivalry without the belt coming into it whilst the RVD who was one of the hottest acts in the company was given the ball.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Yeah, RVD is one of those that fits into the category of 'shouldn't have been world champion'.

Nah, he should have taken it off Austin in 2001. Taken the Angle role. He was way over at the time and he was fresh. Pity will probably come in and shout at me (:() because the Angle matches were perfectly good and it would've meant RVD leaving the Alliance but it was a case for striking while the Iron was red hot.

Anyway, to prove I'm not a smark, mine is about Benoit! I really thought he should've taken the title off The Rock in 2000 when they did the dusty finish. Again, he was fresh, he was over and I thought the Benoit/Shano combo had real potential. You could have built a stable around them, you had Rock, Trips, Undertaker and a returning Austin as potential challengers. The World would then have lived without Angle's chicken shit title reign and Benoit could've dropped it back to The Rock at Royal Rumble to set up Austin vs. Rock with Benoit going into WM 21 with more credibility.

I would've put the World Title on Bigelow in 1993 too. I was always much higher on him than on Yoko. They should've switched it to him at royal Rumble and built up Hogan or Bret for WM9.

Benoit... should've taken the title off The Rock in 2000 when they did the dusty finish.

Yes, yes, yes. That was a cracking match, and when Benoit won the belt he looked like the second coming of Flair or something. He was an entirely legitimate world champ at that point in a way he really wasn't when they finally gave it to him after years of midcard losses, injuries, brain damage and wifebeating.

Anyway, to prove I'm not a smark, mine is about Benoit! I really thought he should've taken the title off The Rock in 2000 when they did the dusty finish. Again, he was fresh, he was over and I thought the Benoit/Shano combo had real potential. You could have built a stable around them, you had Rock, Trips, Undertaker and a returning Austin as potential challengers. The World would then have lived without Angle's chicken shit title reign and Benoit could've dropped it back to The Rock at Royal Rumble to set up Austin vs. Rock with Benoit going into WM 21 with more credibility.

Angle's chickenshit title reign was better than anything Paedobot would've done as champion.

• Paid Members
Anyway, to prove I'm not a smark, mine is about Benoit! I really thought he should've taken the title off The Rock in 2000 when they did the dusty finish. Again, he was fresh, he was over and I thought the Benoit/Shano combo had real potential. You could have built a stable around them,

They tried that. They were called Shane's Horsemen (if I remember correctly). It was Benoit, Edge & Christian and Big Show. There was I think 2 shows were they beat the shit out of loads of people in the summer of 2000 but then Shane's Horsemen were never mentioned ever again. It was very odd.

• Paid Members

Benoit was a great wrestler, but the WWF was packed with headliners in 2000. They even had to squeeze a six man Hell in a Cell for the December PPV because they were so jammed with big names. Kurt Angle was brilliant in 2000, and was super over as a heel. I wouldnt change a thing about that 2000 period as far as the headline acts ago. Apart from maybe Austin squashing everyone on Raw and Smackdown. That was quite tedious.

• Paid Members
Benoit was a great wrestler, but the WWF was packed with headliners in 2000. They even had to squeeze a six man Hell in a Cell for the December PPV because they were so jammed with big names. Kurt Angle was brilliant in 2000, and was super over as a heel. I wouldnt change a thing about that 2000 period as far as the headline acts ago. Apart from maybe Austin squashing everyone on Raw and Smackdown. That was quite tedious.

I'd agree until Austin came back. I like the 6 pack HIAC match but wasn't a fan of anything else focused around Trips, Austin & Rikishi around those last couple of months.

I wasn't getting at Angle either, I love a lot of his work in 2000. He just wasn't a World Champion, hence the chicken shit nature of his reign. Benoit was an excellent, credible heel champ in waiting at that point.

Ignoring Pity's shit reply, unless the object is to rewrite history. He's like Vinny Mac.

• Paid Members

Fair point, I was listening to something and that's just waffle. I think you dismissing Benoit in 2000 is rewriting history. He went on to be dull but he was bloody excellent back then and had Shane McMahon covering for his only flaw. His ring work was incredible not just tight work but oozing charisma and emotion.

I think you dismissing Benoit in 2000 is rewriting history.

True, if not for the rest of the WWF roster that year -- specifically, Kurt Angle, who you dismissed. There is no way that Benoit would've or could've been more entertaining at that time than red-hot Kurt Angle was. Rebooking that spell of time would be better served "fixing" the Angle-HHH-Stephanie storyline than in giving Benoit the nod over Angle as new heel champion. For one thing, they'd just had a "credible heel champ" for most of the last year, and Benoit would've just been like a more boring Triple H. That title win made a star of Angle, it fit his braggadocious persona to a tee, it capped his debut year perfectly. Whereas Benoit's abilities and limitations meant he was only ever going to reach a certain level of stardom, regardless of token title wins. Far more was gained from Kurt winning.

Plus, for a Benoit fan, him winning the title in 2000 and doing generic heel celebration with Shane McMahon would've meant no WrestleMania 20 moment.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that last point i was going to mention. I thought the Benoit winning the title, only for the decision to get constantly reversed was a neat little angle and long-term, added to that WMXX moment. I think the same sort of thing could have worked well with Chris Jericho if it always just escaped him rather than his Undisputed title win. There's one i'd most certainly rewrite.

Archived