"He should have been world champion"

King Pitcos

I think we've done this thread before, or one very similar, but it would've been a while back and I've forgotten everything everyone said in it (though I'm sure it was wonderful). Basically, I'm after you to make sense of your own throwaway fantasy booking of the olden days.

For example, when people say Ted DiBiase should've been world champion, when do they think he should've been world champion? The high point of his career was around WrestleMania IV, and if Ted had won the title that night, that's Macho Man's legacy dropping a tier.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm going to get some stick for this, but I always thought that DiBiase should have been the recipient of the fix that cost Hogan the title - the ref is "distracted", maybe has something in his eye, which prevents him seeing Andre interfering, and even after that, DiBiase needs a fix up. That way, Ted keeps the title, there is a tournament leading up to WM4, and that way, the biggest show of the year isn't a mess, dominated by a horrible tourny.

I don't quite get what you mean, Rosegarden -- Ted would've won the title at The Main Event in Feb, and then lost it (to Savage?) at WrestleMania? I don't think a Ted DiBiase vs Randy Savage advertised main event for WrestleMania would've had anywhere near the novelty of a tournament where the Hulkster could win his belt back.

Razor Ramon at some point in 1995 should have probably had a run with the belt, he was super over. Turn him heel on Diesel and have a a 3 month feud, would have been nice. At the very least he should have been in some main events.

I agree in theory, but I don't know where it'd go. Diesel's Big Stinker as champion was the match with Mabel at SummerSlam, where Razor had the classic with Shawn. I suppose Razor could've turned on Diesel right after SummerSlam and had Bulldog's spot for the next couple of months, and they could still have got Bulldog's heel turn done elsewhere in time for Bret's next title reign.

Plus, I really liked the Razor-Goldust feud, and that depended on The Bad Guy being a babyface.

• Paid Members
I don't think a Ted DiBiase vs Randy Savage advertised main event for WrestleMania would've had anywhere near the novelty of a tournament where the Hulkster could win his belt back.

I agree.

Much as I would love for some of my favourites (DiBiase, Perfect) to have had the belt (particularly given that people like Swagger and Bryan have had their hands on it now) I don't see that there's an alternative to Hogan having the belt when he did in that timeframe and then the transition to Savage and back to Hogan. Sure, by modern standards Hogan would have been a five-time champion before the eighties were out, but it was better the way things actually happened.

Razor Ramon at some point in 1995 should have probably had a run with the belt, he was super over. Turn him heel on Diesel and have a a 3 month feud, would have been nice. At the very least he should have been in some main events.

I agree in theory, but I don't know where it'd go. Diesel's Big Stinker as champion was the match with Mabel at SummerSlam, where Razor had the classic with Shawn. I suppose Razor could've turned on Diesel right after SummerSlam and had Bulldog's spot for the next couple of months, and they could still have got Bulldog's heel turn done elsewhere in time for Bret's next title reign.

Plus, I really liked the Razor-Goldust feud, and that depended on The Bad Guy being a babyface.

I'd have probably turned Razor heel at KOTR 95 and had him win the tournament, or shortly after, build him for Diesel at Summerslam and have him go over, and turn Kid heel as well to be Razor's lackey, ala Mo. Then you could have had a reverse in the Razor and Kid vs Diesel and HBK stuff too, book Razor in a ladder match at Survivor Series vs HBK and then let him drop the strap to Bret Hart at the Rumble. Fuck the Goldust feud, I hated it! I hated all of 95 except Summerslam and Survivor Series though, so Razor would have to be a work horse in the main event, which to be fair to him, he was a lot of the time back then.

Mr Perfect around the time of mid 92 when midcarders were getting pushed.

This is the sort of shit that led to this thread. Mr Perfect didn't even start wrestling again until the last couple of months of 1992, right after Bret Hart's first title win.

I also think Bulldog may have been good for one during his heel 96 run.

Shawn Michaels' title run would've been completely fucked if he'd lost the belt to a second-tier wrestler two months into his reign.

Didn't Vince regret not letting Tazz go over Trips when he was hot? (Sure I heard or read that somewhere)

Owen, at his hottest, after the screwjob

Don't think DiBiase needed the belt tbh, likewise Perfect, everyone knew how good they were, there persona, kind spoke for themselves.

Maybe Arn deserved a brief run in the old WCW, he was such a great hand, Magnum was almost destined too, shame about his accident.

• Paid Members
Didn't Vince regret not letting Tazz go over Trips when he was hot?

What? Vince was never going to put 5'5" Tazz over his main man. I cant imagine he lost a single bit of sleep over that. If they had plans for Tazz, he wouldnt have taken up a job as a bin man and sat behind a desk for the rest of his days.

Considering Tazz was hot in WWE for about one match, I'd be very surprised if anyone ever thought he should beat Triple H.

Maybe Arn deserved a brief run in the old WCW, he was such a great hand

I didn't follow WCW, but when on earth was Arn Anderson world title material? Which title reign should he have ended/taken?

Archived