Has Money and the Bank killed the Rumble?

The Royal Rumble was what got me into wrestling. When I was 12 my friend suggested I checked out WWF and I loaned out Royal Rumble 1992 from my school library and I was hooked. I've always loved the Road to Wrestlemania and the person who went over at the Rumble tended to be the next big stars who were heading towards the WWF title via the main event at Wrestlemania. Awesome.

Now, however, the next up and coming WWF/E champions are pretty much decided via Money in the Bank. Not only that but there's two of them AND they can cash in at Wrestlemania. In fact it's got so bad now that you'd struggle to name anyone relevant on the roster who hasn't been the WWE Champion. Does anyone even care who wins the Rumble now? Even if Shemus, who has been really well built, wins it, he's still a three time champion. Imagine if you took away all the Money in the Bank winners, would you have more future champions who you could care about main eventing Mania?

Has Money in the Bank ruined the Rumble?

• Paid Members

Erm, no. The Rumble isn't just for the chance to win a title shot but it's at Wrestlemania, the biggest show. The buyrates show that nobody really gives a toss about who wins Money In The Bank, whilst people will pay to see who wins the Rumble. Also, nobody has ever cashed in at 'Mania, so it's a mute point.

Not necessarily MITB, but the fact for the past 4 years the Rumble winner hasn't won the belt, and the majority of the times the Rumble winner isn't even in the main event of WM ruins it for me. Why go to all the effort of winning the Rumble if you could just win a triple threat match a couple of weeks later?

That being said, it's still a great event, and my favourite match of the year! I've just been watching a couple of early rumbles, and there wasn't even a prize for winning, heck the WWF champion was in them, and they were still great matches!

Erm, no. The Rumble isn't just for the chance to win a title shot but it's at Wrestlemania, the biggest show. The buyrates show that nobody really gives a toss about who wins Money In The Bank, whilst people will pay to see who wins the Rumble. Also, nobody has ever cashed in at 'Mania, so it's a mute point.

But anyone can which ruins the mystique.

• Paid Members

Elimination Chambers killed the Rumble more than anything else. Its usually all change at the Elimination Chamber PPV, so the champion at Rumble isnt always the champion at Mania. Also, the Rumble winner usually isnt in the main event or dies on his arse at Mania in his efforts to win the title. Having two belts doesn't help.

I love it for the surprises these days. There's usually a good one.

Elimination Chambers killed the Rumble more than anything else. Its usually all change at the Elimination Chamber PPV, so the champion at Rumble isnt always the champion at Mania.

This has always happened since February PPVs started though.

I dont think it does, I didnt like when Daniel Bryan was saying hed hold out til Mania to cash in, I think MITB winners should have to use their title shot before the end of the year, not within 12 months.

• Paid Members

It always bothers me how when someone wins the rumble, the Champion they have to face has to get through the Elimination Chamber. It just seems too much.

Personally I think they should have just one Elimination Chamber match to determine the other number one contender for the title at Wrestlemania. That way they have the story of both number one contenders having to win big matches to get title shows at WM.

I see where your coming from, and I think MITB is one of many things that potentially ruins the title scene. It just seems too easy to get a title shot, so much so you kind of think "meh... So what if he didn't win the royal rumble... He has another billion chances to get a title shot in the near future."

it's a moot point.

Thank you.

Archived