The Best Episode of Wrestling Television Ever

A Screen Up

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember the exact date, but it was possibly the Raw before Backlash 2000. Jericho beats HHH, Hebner fast counts. Then HHH demands Hebner reverses the decision and he does. But then Linda comes down. She has a go at HHH. Shane doesn't like it, they grapple. But then Rock comes down. A match is made for later. Meanwhile the APA and Edge and Christian have a bit of a tiff. Angle is at some College protesting about safe sex - Big Show doesn't like this, and takes umbridge. Bubba Ray Dudley wants to root Trish Stratus. But she gets off with him, and he has some kind of tantric orgasm. He'll put her away though. Meanwhile, after the main event Rock shows up again. Vince says that Austin would stitch him up. But he wouldn't. He's definitely gonna be at Backlash. But don't trust him. In fact, don't trust anybody. But he'll be there. Eddie Guerrero teams with Essa Rios, but Lita fucks up and costs them the match. Chyna dislikes this. Dean Malenko has a go at Scotty Too Hotty, which leads to their classic at Backlash.

I think that's about it. The WWF at its absolute peak.

• Paid Members
A May 1997 episode of Raw which was featured heavily on Best Of Raw 5 is for my money the greatest episode of a wrestling show ever. It featured a massive angle between Bret Hart and Steve Austin and culminated in Austin assaulting the Hitman in the back of an ambulance. It's more than worth checking out, it's absolutely essential viewing for a wrestling fan.

Thats definitely one of mine as well. Pillman returned at the end, attacking Austin. I just remember buzzing watching that. I couldnt wait until the next week. Raw had finally found a direction and the characters were brilliant.

I also remember the Steel Cage main event with Bret Hart vs Sid. It was so unique, because Austin (Bret's opponent going into WrestleMania six days later) wanted Bret to win the belt and Undertaker wanted Sid (his opponent at Mania) to keep the belt. So you had hated rivals helping each other. The sight of Austin and Bret (who was still technically a face) beating on Sid on the top of the cage still brings a smile to my face. It was just mental. Then it was followed by that Bret and Vince confrontation, Austin and Bret brawled, Undertaker and Sid brawled and Shawn Michaels (who had retired a few weeks before) came strolling out to end it. The whole show was great as well. It was the first ever two hour Raw is War, with the giant Titan Tron and arena set up. Me and my Dad watched it and we kept saying "looks like Sky arent going to show that cage match" when it got to 10 o'clock, because the paper said Raw was only on an hour. Raw kept on going and going that night. Such a great memory for me personally. I dont think I ever enjoyed a Raw as much before that. I havent seen the full Raw since then, even though its easy to download. I've saw the cage match. I almost dont want to see it again. Leave the memories alone and all that.

These are the 2 I was coming in to mention. Raw in 97 was brilliant. For me probably the best in the show's history. The Hart/Austin street fight episode was one of the most well done Raw's ever.

I loved the Bret vs Sid cage match show too. Austin and Taker outside, and the stipulation meant the result would change which match at Wrestlemania would be main event and for the title which made it feel massively important to me. Bret pushing Vince on his arse after the match was one of the first signs of a new direction in the company aswell and that's around the time where Vince became more of an on-air character instead of just a commentator. The new set looked great too, after years of using that big red R-A-W (which I quite liked actually) it made Raw feel like a bit special, more like a PPV really.

I'll throw one more in from 97, the episode where the Hart Foundation reunited. I never saw that coming at the time and it was really good TV I thought.

And the Raw in late 96 where Austin went to Pillman's house and Pillman pulled a gun on him. Ridiculous but fantastic telly that was.

Here's a bit of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l5mL9z5g9s

I loved it. Austin seemed like a proper nutter and Pillman looked genuinely pyschotic with the gun. I honestly believed someone was gonna get topped that night.

Anyway moving away from WWF and Raw for a sec. The Nitro where Scott Hall debuted and the Nitro's immediately following Hogan's heel turn were excellent. Back in the summer of 96 when the NWO was fresh it was must see TV. You'd never know who was gonna join next, plus you had a ton of talent in the midcard so you'd get the best of both worlds angle wise and match wise.

I can't remember the exact date, but it was possibly the Raw before Backlash 2000. Jericho beats HHH, Hebner fast counts. Then HHH demands Hebner reverses the decision and he does. But then Linda comes down. She has a go at HHH. Shane doesn't like it, they grapple. But then Rock comes down. A match is made for later. Meanwhile the APA and Edge and Christian have a bit of a tiff. Angle is at some College protesting about safe sex - Big Show doesn't like this, and takes umbridge. Bubba Ray Dudley wants to root Trish Stratus. But she gets off with him, and he has some kind of tantric orgasm. He'll put her away though. Meanwhile, after the main event Rock shows up again. Vince says that Austin would stitch him up. But he wouldn't. He's definitely gonna be at Backlash. But don't trust him. In fact, don't trust anybody. But he'll be there. Eddie Guerrero teams with Essa Rios, but Lita fucks up and costs them the match. Chyna dislikes this. Dean Malenko has a go at Scotty Too Hotty, which leads to their classic at Backlash.

I think that's about it. The WWF at its absolute peak.

Or even the Smackdown after that where the McMahon family were on the hunt for Austin who was going to be there. Cardboard cutouts being beaten up. Rooms full of beer cans. All leading up to Austin destroying the DX Express

• Paid Members

An episode of Smackdown from 2001 comes to mind where there was an amazing opening segment involving Austin, Tori Wilson, Tajiri, Tazz and Kurt Angle which ended with Austin giving Angle a piledriver on the concrete

Strange choice but the one that sprung straight to mind was during the Invasion when Shane announced the WWF had someone in the ranks who was on WCW's side and it turned out at the end of the night to be Kurt Angle. Watching it back it was blatantly obvious who was gonna turn but at the time, watching it, I didn't have a clue who it would be.

Nitro where Goldberg beat Hogan for the belt. It was the beginning of the end for WCW and it was never the same again. It showed that they were panicking after getting beat by Raw in the ratings the week before and throwing away a massive PPV main event for the sake of a weeks win.

The whole episode where he had to face Scott Hall first, the massive crowd, the reaction to the win. Pure gold TV but a mistake to put on Nitro.

one episode i always remembered was august 2, 1999. it was just an awesome unpredictable show. you had the Acolytes on the stage while raw was starting wanting the big show and taker. but hardcore holly came out and tried to take them on but failed. you had the blood bath match with edge and gangrel where christain made his choice.

you had d'lo brown win the ic title in an title vs title match with jeff jarrett.

then at the end you had a brawl which every1 ran in. for me it was awesome.

• Paid Members

The Raw from 93/94 when Crush was on the phone to Vinny Mac and declined to speak to Macho Man, he just put the phone down.

Actions speak louder!

Due to that cliffhanger we all obviously tuned in to the following weeks edition to see just what on earth was going on, was it worth it? Yes, yes it was, as i'm quite sure he hung up the phone, again.

~DRAMA~

• Paid Members
:laugh: And here's me thinking I was the only one who thought that was one of the best moments of the 90s. It was a awesome heel turn, because Crush had grounds for being pissed if you believe Savage did actually stop ringing him. Crush vs Savage was a great little feud. It was the first time in wrestling that I was juggling with my conscience. I remember as a young lad thinking "well, Savage can fuck off then" because I loved Crush so much. Then he turned up with Fuji and trouble was a foot.

• Paid Members

Aye exactly Barbs, the Warrior/Hogan face/face (pick one) thing had nowt on this in terms of torn between lovers. I was in the same mind frame as you... love them both, but crush was newer and cooler and massive, savage jumped yokozuna now and again and was now just a commentator, so crush won the mental battle.

Still, i felt sorry for savage, then it emerged that Crush was pissed off due to savage not calling him back. That would make me ditch the yellow, put face paint on and turn japanese too.

The night Punk first won the belt was a great edition, as was the night ECW joined the Invasion.

I'm gonna throw this out there, might not be popular but I loved it

The night after Survivor Series 2001

Everything changed.

Vince went from biggest face to major heel

Austin went from major heel to biggest face

Firing of Shane and Stephanie

Kiss my Ass club

Ric Flairs debut

And perhaps my favourite opening segment ever.

Paul E. Heyman comes out bragging that he kept his job, to JR's dismay, only for Vince to fire him, leading to JR nailing Heyman and the return of The King.

THATS how to book closure to an announcers fued

Archived