Paul Daniels loses part of his hand in saw accident

Pier Six Brawler

• Paid Members
Who was Paul Daniels' son who'd do turns on Russ Abbot's show now and again?

Martin Daniels.

A guy whose magic talent is directly proportional to how uninteresting he is to watch.

Didn't Martin Daniels replace the original Game for a Laugh cast when they all fucked off and left Jeremy Beadle with RUSTY FUCKING LEE.

As others have mentioned Paul Daniels is a bloody tremendous performer, shame he's such a parody. He's like magic's Keith Chegwin. Now... Naked Jungle, that was a show.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I knew he had another son who was a bit of a ne'er do well, but I can't recall anyone other than Martin doing magic on TV.

I think if he really wanted to, Paul snr could still have a TV show aimed at a more mature but still mainstream audience. He's still one of the best in the business and does well out of sending up his old style. From what I've seen of Dynamo, he's very Emperor's new clothes, rehashing old tricks for a young trendy audience who have no inclination to look up David Copperfield doing it the first time round, and I think his act will date badly.

• Moderators
I knew he had another son who was a bit of a ne'er do well, but I can't recall anyone other than Martin doing magic on TV.

I think if he really wanted to, Paul snr could still have a TV show aimed at a more mature but still mainstream audience. He's still one of the best in the business and does well out of sending up his old style. From what I've seen of Dynamo, he's very Emperor's new clothes, rehashing old tricks for a young trendy audience who have no inclination to look up David Copperfield doing it the first time round, and I think his act will date badly.

Dynamo sucks. The one trick that impressed me from his show, (moving the tan-line of a watch down someone's arm) after I Googled it, is something you can buy from professional magic stores.

I'll echo those that have pointed out just how frickin good Paul Daniels is. Family vs 'edgier' style aside, I'd love to see him on TV again, just doing his close up stuff. His cups and balls is as good as anyone else you're likely to find. He did a show in front of 200 or so people at a village hall near me last year which for some unknown reason I missed. Anyone else on here interested in magic? I haven't really thought about it for years but used to be quite into it. Been trying to learn a few bits and bobs and improve my card handling the last couple of weeks.

• Paid Members

My uncle used to do the kids parties and after dinner circuit, and I'd often tag along with him. Three years in a row I went up to Blackpool for the big convention with him, and got to sit in lectures with him and generally hang around TV stars (back when being on TV actually took some effort).

Paul Daniels is indeed a grumpy little man. Ali Bongo and Ken Dodd are perhaps the most enthusiastically friendly people I've ever met.

• Paid Members
it's fucking tragic that he's spent so long off our screens. Hopefully he'll get a Noel Edmonds style revival at some point.

I saw him the other year in our town hall, he looked old and some what frail and Debbie fucked up a trick.

Apart from that he was very still entertaining as a magician. As a TV host though he was rotten, fucking hated him on wipeout.

• Moderators
Old telly was rubbish.

Yeah, but Thundercats was on on Saturday mornings...

Thundercats was shit though. Gazzetta Football Italia, Trans World Sport, and whatever WWF Sky One would be showing at 11am or so is what was good.

Thundercats was shit though.

No. Thundercats were and still are ace. And damn you for making me side with Richie.

Thundercats, He-Man, Ewoks and the Raccoons were immense cartoons from my childhood and you can't tell me otherwise.

• Moderators

I never really got into many cartoons/obnoxiously loud action kids shows. I got my action from my brother's awesome VHS collection of Arnie, Seagal, Lundgren and the like so I saw the more child focused action programming as a bit pathetic. It's rare I watched Kids TV and when I did it tended to either be British, or one of those god awful Peter Engel productions. I was always far more into my sport, and watched it obsessively from the age of 5 or 6 or so. I was a very serious child (I used to like On the Record and knew who Geoffrey Howe and Douglas Hurd and his hair was, for example).

• Paid Members
I got my action from my brother's awesome VHS collection of Arnie, Seagal, Lundgren and the like so I saw the more child focused action programming as a bit pathetic.

The video man sorted me out on that front. He turned up in a blue volvo with a butchers bread crate full of videos and NES games. Since this was about 1990/91, it was Lundgren, Arnie, Norris, CHINA O'FUCKING BRIEN, Segal and anything involving knives and guns. For 3 quid you could get SummerSlam 88, Super Mario 3 and Dolph Lundgren's Red Scorpion and he'd let you have it for the weekend. Good days.

It was only recently my Dad told me he was shagging my mates Mam across the road, and God knows how many other women around the city. No wonder he was always round our way. Since VHS has gone obsolete, I dont think he's had a shag since. Although, Confessions of a Video Man, sounds like a film that needs to be made.

Archived