Paul Daniels loses part of his hand in saw accident

Pier Six Brawler

If we're going to randomly slag off Heartbeat, let's mention the fact that it was set between 1964 and 1969, and had nine Christmas specials.

Isn't The Simpsons also set permanently in 1990?

Nerr. There was a flashback episode recently that showed Marge and Homer In their early 20's during the 1990's. Recon ed from earlier episodes where they where that age during late 70's/80's.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
If we're going to randomly slag off Heartbeat, let's mention the fact that it was set between 1964 and 1969, and had nine Christmas specials.

At least when it first started it was on Friday nights, showed Niamh Cusack's bare tits and had a bit to it before it turned into the total fucking dullathon which it disintegrated into.

< searches Internet.

Wowsers.

• Paid Members

Going back to Paul Daniels, the guy was the embodiment of family saturday night entertainment.

There really is nothing like this on telly any more, and it's a shame.

• Moderators
Going back to Paul Daniels, the guy was the embodiment of family saturday night entertainment.

It's always been cool to laugh at Paul Daniels, because he's an ugly, bald little Tory with a young wife, but he's an incredible performer. Magic stopped being cool, so he turned into a massive joke, but he's completely perfected his craft, and if ever you see old footage of him, it's fucking tragic that he's spent so long off our screens. Hopefully he'll get a Noel Edmonds style revival at some point.

When he first got on Twitter, he was doing these great Q&A videos on Youtube, from his garden shed, and even did a Twitcam at one point, talking about the old showbiz days.

• Moderators
Surprise Surprise

With Henry Cooper, Bobby Davro and John Fashanu

I fail to see what people are complaining about.

And Russ Abbott was the absolute personification of family friendly Saturday evening TV. Jimmy, Basildon Bond and Bella Emberg would be welcome back on my TV any time.

Russ Abbot is utter toss. Despite my personal hatred of him (Fuck the Black Abbots and all relatives to me who sailed within), he lived in Wrexham for 30 years and he was so shite he doesn't get a free pass. And I love anything from around here. Other than Russ Abbot and Tim Vincent. I extol the virtues of the deaf bloke off Four Weddings and OB off Hollyoaks. Why? "They're from Wrexham. Abbot doesn't get that.

Who was Paul Daniels' son who'd do turns on Russ Abbot's show now and again?

• Paid Members

Nope just Ant and Dec fronted insults to our intelligence. I'm not asking for Edmonds to return to prime time (he's creepy as hell) but I think we need wholesome variety shows back on tv.

It's always been cool to laugh at Paul Daniels, because he's an ugly, bald little Tory with a young wife, but he's an incredible performer. Magic stopped being cool, so he turned into a massive joke, but he's completely perfected his craft, and if ever you see old footage of him, it's fucking tragic that he's spent so long off our screens. Hopefully he'll get a Noel Edmonds style revival at some point.

When he first got on Twitter, he was doing these great Q&A videos on Youtube, from his garden shed, and even did a Twitcam at one point, talking about the old showbiz days.

Problem is that Daniels has been superceded by the more modern magicians, Penn & Teller, Dynamo et al so there's little chance of him having the same sort of comeback that Edmonds did. Edmonds was a cracking presenter and that craft hasn't really changed in the time he was away so once the overexposure died away and nostalgia kicked in he came back at the right time and capitalised on it; TV magic has changed dramatically, and Daniels is now too far outdated to make the same sort of resurgence. Shame, because he was completely ace in the 80s, I still have fond memories of my Paul Daniels' Magic Set as a child.

Nope just Ant and Dec fronted insults to our intelligence. I'm not asking for Edmonds to return to prime time (he's creepy as hell) but I think we need wholesome variety shows back on tv.

If you ever meet Ant & Dec call them Dick and Dom. Drives them MENTAL.

Problem is that Daniels has been superceded by the more modern magicians, Penn & Teller, Dynamo et al so there's little chance of him having the same sort of comeback that Edmonds did. Edmonds was a cracking presenter and that craft hasn't really changed in the time he was away so once the overexposure died away and nostalgia kicked in he came back at the right time and capitalised on it; TV magic has changed dramatically, and Daniels is now too far outdated to make the same sort of resurgence. Shame, because he was completely ace in the 80s, I still have fond memories of my Paul Daniels' Magic Set as a child.

Did anyone see his appearance on the last series of Penn and Teller (Fool Us ?? Is that what it was called ?) it was amazing ?!?!?!

Check it out

Paul Daniels on Fool Us

• Paid Members
Who was Paul Daniels' son who'd do turns on Russ Abbot's show now and again?

Martin Daniels.

A guy whose magic talent is directly proportional to how uninteresting he is to watch.

It wasn't him though, I'm pretty sure. The Daniels has two other sons, Gary and Paul, but I forget which one it was.

Archived