There's the door, mate

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Demolition getting squashed in record time by two Chinese lads nobody had ever heard of at WrestleMania VII was a good one as well. Why didnt they just have the LOD squash Demolition? I know it was only Crush and Smash, but LOD destroying the Demos in a few seconds instead of Power and Glory would have meant so much more. And LOD would have taken credit for running them out of the WWF.

Don't even get me started, Ian. Around that time, Demos were still the top heel team and LOD were the most over face team. They had been building a dream feud since summerslam- the two baddest power n paint teams of all time! Continued it throughout the year, opposite teams at Survivor Series, and then nothing. Demos get squashed by Japs nobody cared about and LOD jobbed Power and Glory out. Mental, waste.

Demolition were not the top heel team at that time, that would be the Nasty Boys, followed by Power and Glory, and even Quake/Bravo or Barbarian/Haku. They had slumped to the opposite end of the scale, about on the level of the Orient Express. The Rockers and even the Bushwhackers were beating them all over the house circuit in early 1991.

Tenryu and Kitao presumably had to be given a win at WM7 as part of the WWF/SWS deal, so who better to feed to them than the team with the lowest stock who were on their way out the door. Power and Glory would've been too big a scalp to give to a couple of guys nobody had heard of coming in for a one shot deal. Beating Power & Glory so quickly gave LOD a pretty big rub, but because LOD were booked so strongly, it wasn't necessarily a burial, like losing to the Japanese guys would have been.

• Paid Members
Demolition getting squashed in record time by two Chinese lads nobody had ever heard of at WrestleMania VII was a good one as well. Why didnt they just have the LOD squash Demolition? I know it was only Crush and Smash, but LOD destroying the Demos in a few seconds instead of Power and Glory would have meant so much more. And LOD would have taken credit for running them out of the WWF.

Don't even get me started, Ian. Around that time, Demos were still the top heel team and LOD were the most over face team. They had been building a dream feud since summerslam- the two baddest power n paint teams of all time! Continued it throughout the year, opposite teams at Survivor Series, and then nothing. Demos get squashed by Japs nobody cared about and LOD jobbed Power and Glory out. Mental, waste.

Demolition were not the top heel team at that time, that would be the Nasty Boys, followed by Power and Glory, and even Quake/Bravo or Barbarian/Haku. They had slumped to the opposite end of the scale, about on the level of the Orient Express. The Rockers and even the Bushwhackers were beating them all over the house circuit in early 1991.

Tenryu and Kitao presumably had to be given a win at WM7 as part of the WWF/SWS deal, so who better to feed to them than the team with the lowest stock who were on their way out the door. Power and Glory would've been too big a scalp to give to a couple of guys nobody had heard of coming in for a one shot deal. Beating Power & Glory so quickly gave LOD a pretty big rub, but because LOD were booked so strongly, it wasn't necessarily a burial, like losing to the Japanese guys would have been.

Yeah it was part of the Super World Sports deal, same for why Hogan, Bret and Quake did the tours in Japan the week later. I remember around the time The Rockers and Demolition were going to be doing some feud based on some interviews and WWF Magazine articles etc. Then again we would have been robbed had Barbarian/Haku been fed to the JAPANESE CONTINGENT and we didn't get that really fun Rockers/Barb & Haku opener. Demolition in a way were probably the best choice. Maybe even The Orient Express could have done the job?

Yeah it was part of the Super World Sports deal, same for why Hogan, Bret and Quake did the tours in Japan the week later. I remember around the time The Rockers and Demolition were going to be doing some feud based on some interviews and WWF Magazine articles etc. Then again we would have been robbed had Barbarian/Haku been fed to the JAPANESE CONTINGENT and we didn't get that really fun Rockers/Barb & Haku opener. Demolition in a way were probably the best choice. Maybe even The Orient Express could have done the job?

Yeah, Barbarian & Haku were possibly the only other option for being jobbed out to Tenryu/Kitao without causing much impact. Orient Express maybe, but they probably were the lowest of the low at that point, possibly moreso than Demolition. Everybody knew by then that when Orient Express were in a match, they lost. Which is part of the reason I love that Rockers Rumble match so much - it meant next to nothing and you expected the Rockers to win - yet what they put on was so good, and the crowd were so into it, you could be forgiven for thinking it was some sort of main event.

Anyways, I digress. As you say, it worked out for the best with us getting that little Rockers/Barb/Haku gem. The only other option for them might've been to just bring Tenryu and Kitao in as heels and give them a win over the Bushwhackers or some makeshift team like Tito/Koko or something.

I have to say though, I do remember anticipating that match, as I always liked to see new guys showing up, even if just for novelty and freshness. I wish they'd done that kind of thing more often.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Barbarian & Haku were possibly the only other option for being jobbed out to Tenryu/Kitao without causing much impact. Orient Express maybe, but they probably were the lowest of the low at that point, possibly moreso than Demolition. Everybody knew by then that when Orient Express were in a match, they lost. Which is part of the reason I love that Rockers Rumble match so much - it meant next to nothing and you expected the Rockers to win - yet what they put on was so good, and the crowd were so into it, you could be forgiven for thinking it was some sort of main event.

Anyways, I digress. As you say, it worked out for the best with us getting that little Rockers/Barb/Haku gem. The only other option for them might've been to just bring Tenryu and Kitao in as heels and give them a win over the Bushwhackers or some makeshift team like Tito/Koko or something.

I have to say though, I do remember anticipating that match, as I always liked to see new guys showing up, even if just for novelty and freshness. I wish they'd done that kind of thing more often.

The best deal out of it was that we got to hear Tenryu's awesome WWF theme that I assume he used in SWS.

The best deal out of it was that we got to hear Tenryu's awesome WWF theme that I assume he used in SWS.

I can't even remember that. I'm more familiar with the VHS version which is edited a bit, so maybe it cuts it. It generally isn't butchered too badly, except for Warlord/Bulldog and Bossman/Perfect.

Tenryu's more well known theme is great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hnq5YeXAMo

I'm so chuffed someone found the Hercules/Sid match. I'm sure he did that on Superstars or maybe this match was shown on TV back in the day as I remember discussing this with my brother "he's put his hands behind his head so how does it hurt". The Demolition is a good call, glad we are all united in disgust. Has Gail Kim eliminating herself from the Diva Battle Royal being mentioned?

Some great shouts in this thread so far. Duggan was done as fuck in my eyes after Yoko pounded him all the way into a one-piece (apart from that odd Raw feud with HBK), and definitely Warrior suddenly being gone in 1992. I'll be honest, his rapid 96 exit wrong-footed me a bit, but even as a kid in 92, something about the departure made me sure he wasn't coming back anytime soon.

For that matter, Hogan in 93. I hated that cunt for what he'd done to Bret, and for that matter, I'd not even seen him since then. I don't once remember thinking anything along the lines of "I wonder when Hulk will be back to get his revenge". That was a very effective beating Yoko gave him.

I love that tidbit about attire alterations on the way out. Never heard it before, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Maybe this was DH Smith's reason for the cowboy hat all along, he just knew the end was in sight? Don't know why I've suddenly thought of this one, but didn't Aldo Montoya ditch the jockstrap completely and just look like Justin Credible with a bandanna pulled below his eyes by the end of 96/start of 97?

Don't know why I've suddenly thought of this one, but didn't Aldo Montoya ditch the jockstrap completely and just look like Justin Credible with a bandanna pulled below his eyes by the end of 96/start of 97?

Can't remember that one, but he did shave his head bald which made him look different.

Maybe Dusty Rhodes ditching the polka dot gear in early 91 was a sign that the end was nigh?....

Repo man got a brand new outfit just before he left too, didn't he?

Bam Bam getting ugly shoulderpads and shit pyrotechnics. To be honest, that would suggest thew opposite as it would've cost money.

Gangrel losing his sleeves?

• Paid Members

Jeff Jarrett losing to Chyna in the Good Housekeeping match sprung to mind first for me when I saw the title of this thread.

Bam Bam Bigelow losing to Goldust in 95 was another. Bigelow was still portrayed as a monster even that same year with the Lawrence Taylor match. Fast forward 8 or 9 months and he's losing to a gay bloke in a gold babygrow.

And pretty much every time Marty Jannetty returned. You just knew he wasn't gonna be around long. He'd come in, have a corker with Shawn Michaels or Doink then just fuck off again.

Hercules no-selling for Sid who was ready to headline Wrestlemania 8 at that MSG house show in Feb/March 1992 is a fun example, Herc doesn't give a flying fuck.

I ain't selling for no farm boy! I'M DA SUPA INVADAAA!!!

I remember seeing that as a kid. I'm amazed they let it air to be honest.

I remember reading Diesel and Razor Ramon were leaving WWF in 1996 so Nash's interview at the Royal Rumble that year ('Don't tell me to wrap it up. I'll tell you when I'm done!) and flipping off the Undertaker had my teenage mind genuinely going 'Oooh, he's sticking it to Vince big time!'.

Diesel killing King Mabel on the first Raw of 1996 had me thinking Mabel was done too.

Can't remember any myself (other than Ricky Steamboat handing the US title to Steve Austin, who then jobbed it to Jim Duggan right after) but I heard a interview with Jake Roberts, on the old talk sport "talk wrestling" show, about how a guy would know he was on the way out if he got "the baby blues" meaning they got you to wear baby blue trunks/tights and jobbed you out

Archived