There's the door, mate

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Back in the days of fandom where you usually knew nothing in advance, or even before them when you knew nothing at all, were there any occassions when you just knew that was the end of a wrestlers run in a promotion? For me watching the once mighty Big Boss Man get schooled on big man wrestling by Bam Bam Bigelow was definitely one for me. Boss Man just looked like someone had the idea to job him out, and even as a kid I knew we probably wouldnt see him again. I remember Raven saying that when a wrestler was leaving a promotion, they would deliberately do something to their appearance as a symbolic gesture. No idea why. He brought up at Survivor Series 90, Demolition Ax never gelled his hair and it was all over the place. And if you look back, it he looks a bit of a mess. I always found it odd that Boss Man had a bandage on his hand for the match. Ever since Raven brought that up, I always wondered if that was the same type of thing.

Anyone remember knowing that someone was on the way out?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never at the time, no. I just never thought of things like that when I was a kid. Nowadays, yeah, you can look back and see some obvious signs, but not back then.

The only way I suspected that wrestlers might be for the off was if I hadn't saw them for a few weeks, or if a match had been booked for a big show that wasn't the obvious one - eg. MoM getting the tag title shot at WMX instead of the Steiners, or Roddy Piper ending up facing Goldust at WM instead of Razor. And those were wrong!

Interesting question though, it's got me trying to think back to notice any differences in guys coming to the end of their tenures...

• Paid Members

In the old days, it was when someone wasn't booked for the Royal Rumble. Also if they appeared as a tag-team with a jobber. Ronnie Garvin was an example of this before he dissapeared.

• Moderators

I dunno. I'm plowing through some 1986 Wrestling Challenges at the moment and it's pretty common for name wrestlers to team with jobbers with the jobber taking the fall. Don Muraco might not even tag in, but he's still teaming with Israel Matia or whoever.

• Paid Members
I dunno. I'm plowing through some 1986 Wrestling Challenges at the moment and it's pretty common for name wrestlers to team with jobbers with the jobber taking the fall. Don Muraco might not even tag in, but he's still teaming with Israel Matia or whoever.

Teaming with a jobber was also sometimes the sign of resurgence in someone's character. Looking back to Hercules Hernandez as an example again. After getting squashed by Earthquake at Mania VI he did jobs and teamed with job guys up until he joined with Roma for Power and Glory and had the second best run of his WWF tenure.

• Paid Members

Demolition getting squashed in record time by two Chinese lads nobody had ever heard of at WrestleMania VII was a good one as well. Why didnt they just have the LOD squash Demolition? I know it was only Crush and Smash, but LOD destroying the Demos in a few seconds instead of Power and Glory would have meant so much more. And LOD would have taken credit for running them out of the WWF.

Where's Air_raid? He'd be good for this thread.

• Paid Members

The only examples I can think of are the 2nd and 3rd times Warrior fucked off. When Mr Perfect replaced him at Survivor Series 92 and Sid replaced him in 96 on some In Your House event. I had a feeling he'd be a goner after those. Didn't know he'd go after Summerslam 91, though

• Paid Members
Demolition getting squashed in record time by two Chinese lads nobody had ever heard of at WrestleMania VII was a good one as well. Why didnt they just have the LOD squash Demolition? I know it was only Crush and Smash, but LOD destroying the Demos in a few seconds instead of Power and Glory would have meant so much more. And LOD would have taken credit for running them out of the WWF.

Where's Air_raid? He'd be good for this thread.

I still loathe that match because I love Demolition. Kitao didn't deserve such an honour.

El Matador in 1993 was a sign he was on the way out. Changed his tights to black and was just a jobber in general even lower than when he was just jobbing as plain old Tito.

Greg Valentine in late 1991, babyface Greg Valentine was a bloody stupid idea.

Akeem getting mullered by The Boss Man at Wrestlemania VI as well. Akeem even began growing his hair out. I've always thought late into a wrestlers run when a wrestler changes there look somewhat and then leave it's a bit odd.

Duggan in his singlet is a good example.

I remember in the months before Razor left the WWF for WCW me and my mate knew something was up. First he was announced as being suspended (for some reason i can't remember) and then he appeared back suddenly to job to Vader at IYH Good Friends, Better Enemies. That was that.

• Paid Members

Luger at SuperBrawl 2 comes to mind. Even thinking wrestling was legit, I knew something was amiss. It looked like he wasn't really trying that hard to win, which is because in reality he just wasn't trying that hard full stop.

• Paid Members

Don't even get me started, Ian. Around that time, Demos were still the top heel team and LOD were the most over face team. They had been building a dream feud since summerslam- the two baddest power n paint teams of all time! Continued it throughout the year, opposite teams at Survivor Series, and then nothing. Demos get squashed by Japs nobody cared about and LOD jobbed Power and Glory out. Mental, waste.

Shawn Stasiak seemed to be always on the outs from the thing where he was trying to failing to attack people during backstage segments i thought that was it.

However once planet stasiak started it was obvious this was a last ditch effort to get him over

Archived