What would've happened at end of Rumble 05

Jetta's G-string

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. It looks like an accident, theres no way they would do a double elimination with such a risky move where they were so lucky that they didnt injure themselves and also that their feet somehow landed at around the same moment.

2. It was very brave of the referees who then raised Cenas hand instead of going along with the idea that Batista won, I guess they kind of knew somebody would use their brain in the back and order a restart but it was still risky going with the double winner verdict.

3. What the fuck was supposed to happen? Did Batista actual fuck up his signature move and was never meant to drop Cena over his head or did Cena fuck up a reversal?

Has anyone involved ever commented either way about whether that was the planned finish? Because until reading this thread it never even occurred to me that it wasn't, and after re-watching it I haven't changed my mind.

The most choreographed-looking thing about it is the referees' reactions. Immediately the SmackDown refs, who were both standing on Cena's side, start declaring Cena the winner while Raw's Jack Doan, similarly well-placed to see Batista land, declare Batista the winner. If it was a mistake it was an incredible feat of improvisation from all involved to make it run as smooth as it did.

I also liked the bit where they lobbed each other over the top rope whilst Vince was in the ring. It shocks me to think that this wasn't the original plan - so much of it seemed so well choreographed and in truth it was a great ending to a Rumble which finished with two exceptionally popular up and comers.

• Paid Members
3. What the fuck was supposed to happen? Did Batista actual fuck up his signature move and was never meant to drop Cena over his head or did Cena fuck up a reversal?

I'm thinking Cena over Batista's head and onto the apron. Cena goes for FU, and Batista counters eliminating Cena. It makes no sense for Cena to reverse the Batista-bomb just to eliminate himself.

I don't think Batista was supposed to go over the top rope at all. If you watch the footage, Cena almost drags him over as he falls over. Batistas neck and shoulders were over the top rope and Cena took him with him. Hence the loud splat as Big Dave hits the canvas. Unprepared for the fall.

Watch the footage, and tell me why the refs would go into business for themselves with the "he won.. No he won" arm raising spot that was going on. It was clearly planned.

There's absolutely no way it was planned. They would never have plan to have Batista backflip over the top rope to be eliminated whilst Cena's legs are around him. The fact they both landed the same time is lucky. The referees did a great job of covering it up. You can say they did it intentionally to make it seem like they're both on a par with each other but Cena was eliminated in the end anyway, so they weren't.

No chance it was intentional.

• Paid Members

Yeah, if that was planned they'd have replayed it about 50 times and had the referees arguing over who won the match for ages like they did in 1994 with Bret and Luger or in 2002 with Hogan and Triple H. There was probably about 2 minutes left of PPV to air. Hence Vince shitting a brick to get the match restarted. Its definitely not a planned spot. The fact that they restart the match and end it super fast shows that.

(havent seen this in a long while and cant view as in work but..)

if the finish was botched and the refs had decided on their own accord to drag the `whos won` angle by themselfs then vince better have given them a great bonus. That is great refereeing, in my opinion, by drag it out without killing the atmosphere until someone higher up makes the call.

• Paid Members

The referees were Jimmy Korderas, Jack Doan and Charles Robinson. They've been around since the mid-80s and refereed some big matches. Ear piece or not (because no doubt Bruce Prichard, Kevin Dunne and Vince would have been in their ears telling them what to do), they'd have known what to do. They are world class referees.

Watched it again last night, when it happens they clearly don't know what to do, at first they stick with the original plan and raise just Batistas hand. Through earpiece they must be told that this looks too bad to do that, because the ref whos holding up Batista hand shouts to the other refs to raise Cenas which they do finally after having ample oppurtunity. If it had gone right we may have lost one of the funniest moments of wrestling TV its the looks on the faces particularly Batista and Vince.

The referees were Jimmy Korderas, Jack Doan and Charles Robinson. They've been around since the mid-80s and refereed some big matches. Ear piece or not (because no doubt Bruce Prichard, Kevin Dunne and Vince would have been in their ears telling them what to do), they'd have known what to do. They are world class referees.

At 24 seconds on that video, Jack Doan fiddles with his earpiece and pretty audibly tells Korderas and Robinson at 27 seconds to 'raise his hand'. Seems fairly clear to me that he was told from backstage to get the others to raise Cena's hand, then kill a bit of time until Vince comes out.

Archived