Complete Character Overhaul - Johnny Polo to Raven

Dirty Eddie

For what you were originally asking, Raven's by far the perfect example, but that's not to say he was no good under previous gimmicks. Johnny Polo was one of my favourite characters at the time, and he added so much to the whole Quebecers act. In a similar way to Alberto with Ricardo today, he's a significant part of why I loved the Quebecers so much. Similarly, even when he was pretty green as Scotty Flamingo, he could still put on good matches, like vs Pillman at Beach Blast for example, and he was a great laugh with all his shenanigans as part of the Diamond mine. That COTC boxing match with Johnny B Badd cracks me up, he was great. :)

Oh, I completely agree. I loved The Quebecers and Polo was certainly a big part of that. Loved his Home Video stuff presenting with Monsoon as well.

That's what makes it such a gutsy move. Not only was he a good on-screen character, but he was being taught how to produce RAW as well. They obviously knew he was a smart dude. His passion for actually wrestling obviously meant more than a safe WWF job.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Johnny Polo's closer to Scott Levy than Raven is, no matter what he says. If you've ever seen a shoot interview or video blog of him, he's a goofy, fast talking clown more than a depressed punk poet. Raven probably made a bad career move in all honestly. He was a producer for Raw and a TV personality. He had employee benefits and looking at how the WWF/WWE turned out over the years, if he'd not have quit he could have been one of the most powerful heads in the promotion right now. He could have made it onto the booking team as well and made millions.

Johnny Polo's closer to Scott Levy than Raven is, no matter what he says. If you've ever seen a shoot interview or video blog of him, he's a goofy, fast talking clown more than a depressed punk poet. Raven probably made a bad career move in all honestly. He was a producer for Raw and a TV personality. He had employee benefits and looking at how the WWF/WWE turned out over the years, if he'd not have quit he could have been one of the most powerful heads in the promotion right now. He could have made it onto the booking team as well and made millions.

Vince wasn't too fond of him though. Shane and Raven apparently got on great.

He wouldn't have lasted long in the corporate environment.

Apparently Levy WAS a little more like Raven than Johnny Polo back in those days as he had a lot of demons and was a drunk, drug-addled reprobate, by his own admission. I always thought the Raven and Stevie Richards combo was the two sides to Levy's personality.

Nowadays, he's definitely more Johnny Polo than Raven.

Not sure whether this one fits the criteria but I believe MVP had signed a developmental contract with WWE before coming up with the MVP character and pitching it to them. He wasn't massive then reinvented himself but he was doing pretty well to get a contract from WWE before coming up with the MVP thing and gambling on it working.

• Paid Members

You're right and also, given the way that things turned out after he left, with so much talent going to WCW, there's a good chance he would've ended up back in the ring anyway. There was a period when the WWF just seemed to be trying anything in the hopes that it'd work (see the NWA Invasion) so I could definitely see them giving a guy with his charisma another chance in the ring.

Suprised no one has mentioned this yet. Or perhaps we all wish we could forget. "If it's not White, it's not right."

Chavo Guerrero to Kerwin White

Hey there'll be no dissing of Kewin White on my watch. If it weren't for dear ole Eddie dying i'm convinced he'd still be doing this gimmick and kicking ass with it cos lets face it, Chavo before that gimmick was a big dull dud

Archived