Complete Character Overhaul - Johnny Polo to Raven

Dirty Eddie

• Awards Moderator
Everyone that's not busy should get the same gimmick as Brodus Clay.

That's a heck of a lot of mommas being called.

I'd like to see a Planet Funk stable at some point, with Brodus recruiting lower-carders and injecting them with a dose of funk to reignite their careers.

Or maybe I just want to see that Tyler bloke renamed as Funkasaurus Reks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Everyone that's not busy should get the same gimmick as Brodus Clay.

That's a heck of a lot of mommas being called.

I'd like to see a Planet Funk stable at some point, with Brodus recruiting lower-carders and injecting them with a dose of funk to reignite their careers.

Or maybe I just want to see that Tyler bloke renamed as Funkasaurus Reks.

His dancers should double as nurses, and he should be Dr. Funkasaurus - he'll hook them up to an IV full of George Clinton's blood, and funk them up good and proper.

Really should've had a "Did they have shit on the market?" at the end of the first post to go for the full Ian. I know Elijah Burke had about a million unwarranted figures out, which were put into production when Vince McMahon was championing him as the next big thing but which came out long after everyone had forgotten who he was. It did my head in, they were falling all over themselves to bring out new toys of him and the fucker would show up on telly about once every six months to lose a squash match.

• Paid Members

Eddie, you mention Eugene in the first post still playing Eugene outside WWE, when becoming Eugene to begin with is a fine example itself. In OVW for years and years as Mr. Wrestling, finally gets called up after pitching the retard, undergoing a massive character overhaul and looking almost like a different person and going on to achieve very breif success in the process. He got to hang around with Triple H and The Rock!

Eddie, you mention Eugene in the first post still playing Eugene outside WWE, when becoming Eugene to begin with is a fine example itself. In OVW for years and years as Mr. Wrestling, finally gets called up after pitching the retard, undergoing a massive character overhaul and looking almost like a different person and going on to achieve very breif success in the process. He got to hang around with Triple H and The Rock!

Yeah, good call. Dinsmore certainly got himself out of developmental Hell by coming up with something that amused the guys in charge.

Whatever you think of the gimmick, he did a great job in the role and had some great TV feuds. All his interactions with Bischoff and Regal were good and he added an extra level of cuntishness to Triple H at the time during their storyline.

Another one that sort of fits the thread is Scott Hall becoming Razor Ramon.

Vince was all set to have him come in doing a GI Joe style Army gimmick, then Scott hit Vince with all the cool Pacino lines from Scarface (which Vince hadn't seen) and won him over on the spot. "The Bad Guy" was born.

Does HHH count as a guy who did it himself? His change from the big nosed posh Hunter Hearst Helmsley to the large nosed badass Motorhead fan HHH has got to be up there.

*edit - Well DX was in between but you get the picture.

Personally I would say no. That was more of a evolution as he modified his character in small steps and kept previous elements of his character... Which is how I feel they should handle character development more often (see Cody Rhodes as a good modern day example).

I.e. He went from:

- two dimensional spoilt blue blood

- spoilt rich "kid" in rebellious gang and retaining element of previous character (e.g. Ring jacket, boots, logo style).

- spoilt corporate sell out. More serious though still keeping his boots and logo style.

- heavy metal elements start to come in, the blue blood and dx elements are slowly eliminated, but retains character traits (arrogance, high sense of self worth).

You get the idea...

• Moderators

Vince was all set to have him come in doing a GI Joe style Army gimmick, then Scott hit Vince with all the cool Pacino lines from Scarface (which Vince hadn't seen) and won him over on the spot. "The Bad Guy" was born.

Never heard that. I always was under the impression that Razor Ramone (sic) was meant to originally be a Fonzarelli style dresser. Where'd you read the GI Joe stuff? I'd like to read up on it.

Never heard that. I always was under the impression that Razor Ramone (sic) was meant to originally be a Fonzarelli style dresser. Where'd you read the GI Joe stuff? I'd like to read up on it.

Scott has talked about it in a couple of places. There might have even been a mention on one of his Last Call vids. I've just had a quick poke around youtube but honestly I can't be arsed to go through all his old shoots.

It may well be made up, but Hall himself has definitely said it a bunch of times. Claimed he was going to be an army guy, wearing camo and all that stuff, but he pitched the much cooler Tony Montana idea just to try and avoid being dressed up like a soldier. He apparently came up with the "Razor" bit and asked around for a latino surname that worked well with it, and Tito Santana suggested Ramon.

Archived